586,108 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

35W ULS CO2 Maintenance

Could use some advice from more seasoned CO2 laser users.

Picked up an older ULS C200 laser with a 35W CO2 source from a neighboring shop two years ago. Had been sitting on a shelf for a few years prior to that.

Hooked up and did some successful test marking on anodized aluminum off and on for a couple weeks, then didn't use it for 6 months. When I went to use again the laser was sputtering and would die out after a few minutes of use. Made some calls and realized that the tube had out-gassed.

Took it to Photovac for a refill. Brought back, used for a day or so, then didn't use for 3 months. Found that it had outgassed again and had it refilled. Tested it when it came back the second time last spring and it was OK, but completely dead again today when I tried to fire it up for the first time since.

I've been told that not turning the system on regularly shortens the life of the gas, but is this normal behavior? Will it really die within weeks if you don't run it?

An engraver with no laser is obviously not useful, and my engraving needs at the shop are irregular. But wondering if it makes sense to spend more money for a re-gas of the tube again.

Thanks!
    John

Re: 35W ULS CO2 Maintenance

No. Even chinese glass lasers need only once-twice a month swithing to keep it working.
    RF laser can be stored for years without loosing power.
    It looks that Photovac might use inappropriate seal.
    I have 100W Synrad that I do not use and it is still 115W as it was a year ago.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service