586,113 active members*
3,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Converting from anilam to pc controller

I have a vertical mill with a Anilam Crusader II controller. I would like to convert it to something a little more modern. Perhaps a pc controller. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim
    I converted an Alliant knee mill with a Crusader 2 system over to PC control. I'm using Mach3 as the control program. I used Rutex 0-10v drives to control the servo amps. I started out using the glass scales but found they wandered too much between pulses at an idle. I then mounted US digital encoders on the ends of the ball screws and did away with the glass scales. This made for a much better solution.
    I ran this for a while but unfortunately I burned up the Z axis servo. I ended up buying a Rutex 2020 drive and a surplus treadmill motor and powering the knee as the Z axis. Powering the knee is definitely the way to go. I do pattern and mold work and the extra Z travel is awesome.
    Now for the bad news. I love Rutex drives and Tom at Rutex USA is really nice and very knowledgeable. Unfortunately Vladimir (the owner of the company) treats it like it's a hobby so drive supplies can run dry for long periods of time. I don't think they have any 0-10v drives available at this time.

Good luck
    Derek

Talking crusader II upgrade

Derric.

changing from glass scales to ball screw mount reduced the accuracy. I would not recomend this method. You still have one count dither, but with the backlash in system you wont see the marks on parts. If you adjust the balance and have later model Crusader II program this was solved.

If you replace the crusader II talk to me about selling the parts. I repair these machines and need a chassis with 20 pin plug in back (not the 37 pin). I prefer the controls that are built for CNC as the PC"s change so fast they can not be guaranteed to be working in 5 years. FAGOR has good upgrade but you should select based on your projected needs.

JOHN
    [email protected]

Hi John
    Well the part I left out was the X axis had a large scratch in it so it was junk. It always comes down to what your going to do with the machine. I'm a pattern maker for the sand casting industry. My competition is using a band saw and a belt sander so I'm pretty much light years ahead!
    I sold all the left over crusader stuff on ebay and haven't looked back.

Derek