I am looking to add CNC capability to my prototyping shop (pronounced garage). I will admit openly that although I have plenty of time over the years making one-off parts on manual equipment, I have only recently started playing with cnc equipment and as a computer guy, I love it. I can troubleshoot and fix almost anything, so long as they dont run on some crazy magic, so Im not afraid of buying something old.

My desires include:
1. Tool changer. I dont need many, and could probably get by without one with what I do, but I would use one if I had it.

2. Enclosure. For the obvious mess reduction over my Lagun knee.

3. Smallish footprint/lighter weight. Whatever I get will be destined to go in my garage, through a 7' door onto a floor of unknown thickness, so an 11k lb machine is probably a bad idea.

4. Ability for single phase. I have single phase piped into the garage, and an RPC. But it would be nice not to run the RPC if I dont need to.

5. Repairability/parts. Because this wont be a production machine, I can take the time to repair issues so long as every part isnt a proprietary one.

6. Probe. I may be using the wrong term here, but I would like to be able to locate stock edges automatically.

From what research I have been able to find, an older Milltronics VMC will fit the bill pretty darn well.

Can anyone confirm what I have found?
The one big question I cant seem to answer is do the older Milltronic VMCs have the ability to use a probe?
Is there anything to look for outside of the normal wear and tear when looking at one?
Are there any models to avoid for various reasons?