586,069 active members*
3,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Help using v-carve trial

Help using v-carve trial

Hi all, just a quick question, I am using the v-carve trial and I was trying to import one of their sample signs into mach3. I managed to load one of the dfx files (rolling stone sign) but when i tried to load any of the other samples that aren't dfx it won't display any g-code. Am I doing something wrong or are these samples not able to be loaded into mach3? Thanks in advance.

Nyd,

Quote Originally Posted by nydheart View Post
    Hi all, just a quick question, I am using the v-carve trial and I was trying to import one of their sample signs into mach3. I managed to load one of the dfx files (rolling stone sign) but when i tried to load any of the other samples that aren't dfx it won't display any g-code. Am I doing something wrong or are these samples not able to be loaded into mach3? Thanks in advance.

Nyd,
    What extension did you use (.txt , .dxf etc...)?

This is the "Open" sign (sample file) from VCarve, saved as a text (.txt) file, with a Mach2/3 post processor.

Try & run the attached file in simulation in Mach3.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails open.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

The best thing to do is go over the tutorials, on their site and this will show you the proper steps to get it ready for mach3.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr..._tutorials.htm

Joe

The sample files all have a .crv ending. These are the samples that come with the v-carve demo. Thanks.

Did you try & run the file (Open Sign) I posted above with the ( .txt) file extension?

I doubt Mach3 can handle the ( .crv) extension.

You might try the tutorials like Joe suggested. The link below is for the "Open Sign" tutorial (PDF). Scroll all the way down to #10 (bottom of the page) on how to save a file so it can be used outside of Vcarve.

http://www.vectric.com/vcarve-downlo..._Open_Sign.pdf

The demo will only produce Gcode for the sample signs. If I remember correctly if you alter the vectors of the sample signs it will disable the program from outputting gcode for that sign as well. Some sort of checksum or something in the demo that checks the file in some way to make sure it's one of the demo files before it saves the gcode.

Rest assured vcarve software does work. I purchased it and like it very much. Your gcode txt file loads and runs in my mach 3 by the way.

Also their support is very good as well. If you have any questions visit the vcarve forum or email tony if you need to.

Also as stated... The vcarve tutorials are very helpfull. And the videos help alot as well.

b.

I think the hardest part of Vcarve is the very last step.

Saving the work that you have done in Vcarve as a file that produces the g-code that your specific machine can use.

Selecting the post processor, I should say is the hardest part.

Once you get the correct post processor for your machine, you should never have to change post processors again.

All machines are not equal, so everyone will not use the same post processor.

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    The demo will only produce Gcode for the sample signs. If I remember correctly if you alter the vectors of the sample signs it will disable the program from outputting gcode for that sign as well. Some sort of checksum or something in the demo that checks the file in some way to make sure it's one of the demo files before it saves the gcode.

Rest assured vcarve software does work. I purchased it and like it very much. Your gcode txt file loads and runs in my mach 3 by the way.

Also their support is very good as well. If you have any questions visit the vcarve forum or email tony if you need to.

Also as stated... The vcarve tutorials are very helpfull. And the videos help alot as well.

b.
    Thats correct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread might also help.

Look at post #8 & #15
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27916

Switcher, thanks for the file. It worked in Mach3. Just a another quick question, I am going to run my cnc for the first time today and was wondering how Mach3 knows what size your wood is etc. Is that all determined in the vcarve program? Also with regards to tool information, feed rate and spindle speed, are these parameters that need to be set by me and if so, how do I know what these numbers are?

Also, how do you actually find the starting point once you are ready to start cutting the wood? I would imagine this is an important step.

Thanks again.

Mach3 doesn't know what size your board is. In Vcarve you should be able to specify an origin (X0 Y0). In Mach3, you can jog the machine to where you want the origin in relation to your part and zero the axis. Feedrate should be set in Vcarve. Spindle speed as well, but if you're spindle speed is not being controlled by Mach3 then it really shouldn't matter what it's set to in Vcarve.
    Spindle speeds and feedrates are dependant on a lot of things. Tooling, materials, what you're machine is capable of..... If you're new to this, it will be a trial and error process. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Ger21 for the Mach3 help.

As far as the size of material, Vcarve has a setting for that, when you run the "open" sign (sample) in Vcarve, you can adjust the size of material like this:

1) Open Vcarve
    2) select the "Open_Sign.crv" (sample)
    3) click on "Edit" (at the left, top of the page)
    4) in the dropdown, select "Material Size"

You can adjust the size of material

1) Width (X)
    2) Height (Y)
    3) Material Thickness
    4) XY Origin Position (starting point, thats your X=0.0 , Y=0.0 of your material)

So in Vcarve, If I set my "XY Origin Position" to the top left hand corner, then I would set Mach3 at X=0.0 , Y=0.0 at the top left hand corner of my actual material that I'm cutting.

Note:
    The photo below has the "XY Origin Position" set for the center of the material, I would suggest that you start with the "Open Sign" in your demo of Vcarve, that way you can adjust material size & your cutting tool that you will use. Remember to save the post processor as "Mach2/3(inch)(*.txt)".

I would suggest that you run the cnc machine with no material on your first cycle, just cut air! That way you don't crash your machine. Some guys will put a marker/ink-pen in the cnc instead of a spindle for the first practice run.

Crashing a machine isn't fun!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111.jpg  

Depends on how your machine is set up, but I think you might want 0,0 at the bottom left corner.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)