586,103 active members*
3,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone use Fly Cutters other than the Tormach SuperFly.

Anyone use Fly Cutters other than the Tormach SuperFly.

I need a flycutter that can do 4 inches in diameter and still give the same results that Tormach's flycutter produces.

Last year I bought a Flexbar flycutter from MSC but unfortunately it did not produce the best results.

Has anyone used anything else out there that works well with the 1100?

Re: Anyone use Fly Cutters other than the Tormach SuperFly.

What material are you cutting? There are several cutters out there but I don’t know of any that are Tormach compatible.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    What material are you cutting? There are several cutters out there but I don’t know of any that are Tormach compatible.

Its 6061-T6.

I saw that someone else on this forum had asked the same question last year but it looked like there were no good results other than building your own.

Before the superfly came out I used an R8 fly cutter and a lathe tool with triangular inserts. Went to the superfly when I got the PDB.

Try a large facemill with only one aluminum specific insert maybe?

I use a 2.5" face mill here, works fine just have to go slow feed and reduce rpm to suit.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Try a large facemill with only one aluminum specific insert maybe?
    This is basically what I've done. I do own a couple of fly-cutters but I could never get them to give me good surface finishes no matter what feeds and speed I used. I don't know if this was because the shanks on these cutting tools weren't truly straight or what but I finally got tired of messing with them and tried my R8 2" face mill with only one carbide insert in place. It took some feeds and speeds tweaking but I finally got it to give me good surface finishes on aluminum. I later found out with more experimentation that It would work just as good with all the inserts in place; for both aluminum and 1018 steel.

I don't even bother with fly cutters now.

MetalShavings

For aluminum I like tool steel ground with a positive rake. I always get excellent finishes. With tool steel it’s easy to get a 63 finish on aluminum.

Maybe you could retrofit the Suburban Tool flycutter to TTS, or just make your own version.

https://www.subtool.com/st/fcs_fly_cutter_sets.html

Some time ago Peter Neill posted on a thread (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...c-tormach.html) regarding a Solidworks model for the Tormach Superfly. Perhaps use his work to make your own with a longer and heavier shank? Let us know how it works if you go this route!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Maybe you could retrofit the Suburban Tool flycutter to TTS, or just make your own version.

Those people make some nice stuff!
    I like the looks of their collet master and the mini master and a few other fine tools they make.

Indeed, lovely stuff! Did you notice the prices?

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Those people make some nice stuff!
    I like the looks of their collet master and the mini master and a few other fine tools they make.
    Agreed, if you can ignore the price, as kstrauss notes.

Suburban Tool has a YouTube channel that used to have regular new uploads, but they've been quiet for quite a while now. Some of those videos were pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I use a 2.5" face mill here, works fine just have to go slow feed and reduce rpm to suit.
    Which brand/model of face mill are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    This is basically what I've done. I do own a couple of fly-cutters but I could never get them to give me good surface finishes no matter what feeds and speed I used. I don't know if this was because the shanks on these cutting tools weren't truly straight or what but I finally got tired of messing with them and tried my R8 2" face mill with only one carbide insert in place. It took some feeds and speeds tweaking but I finally got it to give me good surface finishes on aluminum. I later found out with more experimentation that It would work just as good with all the inserts in place; for both aluminum and 1018 steel.

I don't even bother with fly cutters now.

MetalShavings

I have not seen any larger face mills that you can use with Tormach tool holders. I only know of and own the Tormach 1.5: FM. Can you please send some links to the larger facemills that be used with TTS.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

I would love to use theirs but making a tool holder is something that I cannot do as I dont have any lathes. I would have to contract that part out.

It is a Shars version, definitely nothing fancy, about 75 bucks when I bought it a few years back.

I have had several fly cutters over the years, what I didnt like about them is they arent balanced and only one cutter or insert.
    mike sr

I make my own from silver steel and broken carbide cutter shanks, in R8 or ER collets.
    Mind you, for a 4" swing, you should consider balancing the thing! Seriously. And do NOT spin very fast.

Cheers
    Roger

You also need a holder for the 'rod'. a shank you can hold and a head large enough for the rod. A lathe would be nice but you can fake it with a mill.

Could not edit previous posting. Odd.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Indeed, lovely stuff! Did you notice the prices?
    . I recently spent $1k+ on some very nice drawing tools that arrived on a usb thumb drive. So heavy, precision, shiny metal things have great appeal to me. The right and good tool can make a huge difference in the outcome of your project. Not hard for me to see what I fight because of poor quality design or precision and what I enjoy because of good quality or precision the results improves more over time of use.