586,077 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > Sherline edge finders and wobblers

Sherline edge finders and wobblers

I have my sherline running well under LinuxCNC and I am starting to check around about edge finders and wobblers. It looks like the thing to do is get a 3/8" collet and buy to that size. I bought this to continue my education while I am building the building for a real mill, so I hate to over-buy for something I will likely only use for a year or so. 3/8" shafts can probably be used when I up-grade. Any Sherline, or other micro-mill, owners out there with start up accessories advice? Am I, once again, missing something obvious?

Re: Sherline edge finders and wobblers

I don't have a Sherline (I have a Taig), but yes it appears that most edge finders/wobblers are 3/8" or 1/2" shank diameters. To start out I would buy a manual double ended edge finder like a Mitutoyo 050103. The conical end is handy for finding the center of small holes.

Once you get more experience with it, you might want a smart probe/edge finder, since you are using CNC.

Cheapest option - piece of drill rod with small ballbearing pressed (or glued) at end I have miniature edge finder from proxxon (with 6mm shaft) but in most cases i don't bother with using it since ballbearing is good enough and does not explode even on high speed spindle.

Or you could buy a #2228 1/4" shaft edge finder - $15.40 from Taig: Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

All good solutions, but the Mitutoyo 050103 double-ended center finder is only $19 on Amazon.

going with the 3/8" edge finder and a coaxial indicator. About as cheap as I can get and still have what I need to practice getting it right. Thanks.