I'm a hobby machinist.
I have a generic T&C grinder, nice, probably made in the 70s. It came with some tooling and I've made some.
But like most hobby guys I always have the "wants"; and one of those wants has been a Weldon air spindle. The other day one appeared on 'bay for not much money, obviously in bad shape. I was able to buy it, really cheap.
So, the condition was/is worse than I thought, though the castings look fine. The spindle and bushing were totally corroded together. Using heat and 4 tons of pressure I got them apart. I know some of you are saying, oh no. The two parts might be scrap, or maybe not. If they are I'll make new ones, not as good s the originals, but they'll work, I think. They are very hard and could be that with some cleaning, maybe lapping, they might be usable.
So, I need some help.
What is the size of the gap between the spindle and bushing diameters, in case I need to make the parts, or one of them?
The air orafice in both the housing and bushing are corroded shut; what size are these holes?
I can easily redrill the housing but the bushing is very hard and even with a magnifier I can't find the hole, so I need some ideas there.
The bushing is a snug fit in the housing. Is that all that is needed for it not to leak air? I presume the two set screws push the bushing and housing together at the air hole location.
Also, what is the need or use, for the tilting sub-base.
Thanks,
Ozzie