587,193 active members*
3,197 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > iPad App for PathPilot with custom HAL component - iPendant
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: iPad App for PathPilot with custom HAL component - iPendant

Video of iPendant V2.

https://youtu.be/34t8k8o7Pp4

Very impressive! A few comments:
    I find the display of the tool description to be invaluable to help prevent errors when changing tools but you seem to only display the number/offset.

I am confused by the operation of jog. It appears that the cross normally controls x/y but if the Z-axis is selected the left/right arms of the cross then controls z. Why not just use the cross for x/y and the buttons to the right for z? Or have I misinterpreted the video?

Do things automagically resize if I use an iPad mini versus a normal iPad?

I like the big STOP when probing but don't see a similar Pause/Reset when running. Did I miss it or...?

I suppose that one could add a custom button but a built-in Haimer button would be nice on the jog screen

How does one position custom buttons? Always on a custom button screen or...?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Very impressive! A few comments:
    I find the display of the tool description to be invaluable to help prevent errors when changing tools but you seem to only display the number/offset.
    Good idea. HAL pins does not include getting text through pins, only bit/float/integer and so on. Unless we add one more custom function just to read their database, but keeping the theme of not touching any PP specific code and only add pins, this easily can be done locally in the iPad. If one wants a description then I can have a space for them to write down anything that shows up when that number is displayed. I added this for consideration in future rounds of improvements. Thank you.

I am confused by the operation of jog. It appears that the cross normally controls x/y but if the Z-axis is selected the left/right arms of the cross then controls z. Why not just use the cross for x/y and the buttons to the right for z? Or have I misinterpreted the video?
    That's what it is now. Cross only for X/Y. Right buttons for Z & A. Though I think i may flip the Cross routines. Right now, up is Y+, which physically bring the bed down. If i flipped the routines, then Up takes the bed forward, and right takes the bed right and so on. Or maybe offer a switch to flip depending on preference.

Do things automagically resize if I use an iPad mini versus a normal iPad?
    Yes, there will be always at least one correct orientation (normally Portrait) on any size iPad. Designing for the Mini makes the rest easier for bigger ones.

I like the big STOP when probing but don't see a similar Pause/Reset when running. Did I miss it or...?
    I am considering disabling 'Start' from the App, it makes sense to start the job from the main screen; it gives operator a last look/check on everything. With this function; I like users to consider the iPad similar to a Wired Pendant; they need to be next to controls.

I suppose that one could add a custom button but a built-in Haimer button would be nice on the jog screen
    Makes sense. There is space for two custom buttons under the G5x area. Will add those there now. For fast adaptation, these two buttons will be mirror of buttons 7 & 8 of the Custom Page. So any commands written in Button 7 & 8 will be used from the main screen.

How does one position custom buttons? Always on a custom button screen or...?
    There is significant work to one done on this page but only if there is interest. . I've introduced this concept to get it going and gain comments and ideas. If there is enough interested generally in the App and specifically in this section, then this custom page will get a complete overhaul. I initially wanted a much more interactive screen where you can grab the button and place it anywhere, add own photos or image to the button face and such but that's a lot more work before seeing if users are interested in this.

Also, getting feedback like your comments here is a great way to shape the app according to user's need.

This was meant to replace the 4 buttons probing page I showed in V1, but rather than hard coding these specific routines, now its just up to the user to decide which code/shortcut/G code to run.

Thank you for great feedback and ideas, I appreciate it. Will be sending you a PM shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by narrobb View Post
    Good idea. HAL pins does not include getting text through pins, only bit/float/integer and so on. Unless we add one more custom function just to read their database, but keeping the theme of not touching any PP specific code and only add pins, this easily can be done locally in the iPad. If one wants a description then I can have a space for them to write down anything that shows up when that number is displayed. I added this for consideration in future rounds of improvements. Thank you.
    I don't know enough about LinuxCNC/PP but is it possible for your HAL component to access their tool name database? If so, perhaps you could encode the text as a sequence of integer values corresponding to each character of the name and terminate with a zero.

I don't know enough about LinuxCNC/PP but is it possible for your HAL component to access their tool name database? If so, perhaps you could encode the text as a sequence of integer values corresponding to each character of the name and terminate with a zero.

Will be great if you can elaborate on your routine for this. To prepare a job/material do you need to know the all tools description at this stage? As at this stage, the gcode is done and we finished CAD, file includes all tools needed for cutting and now we just need to set up the material. So the ones you want to know about are the probes one, T99, T55, or what ever you are using for probing. A sync button to open the tool database file and send via the network is something can be looked it. This way we are not involving HAL side or LinuxCNC platform

Just a note on iPad requirements.

I couldn't edit the initial post about iPad on eBay; iPendant needs iOS 10 or higher to operate. Apple excluded older devices for iOS 10 and higher. Seems iPad mini 1st Gen (the cheapest iPad on eBay) is not compatible with iOS 10 or higher. Mini 2 is OK, iPad Air as well. For anyone wants an iPad for iPendant, here is a complete list of supported devices for iOS 10 and higher. https://everymac.com/systems/apple/i...0-support.html

Quote Originally Posted by narrobb View Post
    Will be great if you can elaborate on your routine for this. To prepare a job/material do you need to know the all tools description at this stage? As at this stage, the gcode is done and we finished CAD, file includes all tools needed for cutting and now we just need to set up the material. So the ones you want to know about are the probes one, T99, T55, or what ever you are using for probing. A sync button to open the tool database file and send via the network is something can be looked it. This way we are not involving HAL side or LinuxCNC platform

The sync suggestion might work for me.

Virtually everything that I do is one to a couple of copies of a prototype part. I have a PDB but no ATC. I have about 50 tools in TTS holders, measured and with offsets in the PP tool table. Some of these are used very seldom so the tool number of a tool is not nearly as familiar to me as the description. When a tool change is requested I usually read the description only, search for the matching tool in my collection, mount it and take one last look at the description prior to pressing Cycle Start. Obviously production shops take a different approach.

The sync suggestion might work for me.

Virtually everything that I do is one to a couple of copies of a prototype part. I have a PDB but no ATC. I have about 50 tools in TTS holders, measured and with offsets in the PP tool table. Some of these are used very seldom so the tool number of a tool is not nearly as familiar to me as the description. When a tool change is requested I usually read the description only, search for the matching tool in my collection, mount it and take one last look at the description prior to pressing Cycle Start. Obviously production shops take a different approach.
    Yes, that's what i mean; the need to look up the description is when a tool is requested which by then the iPad would already be in dimmed mode; no actions or such are enabled, other than the Coolant control

So tool change requests are displayed only on the monitor and do not appear on the iPad? If tool change info is not shown on the iPad and, I think, you have decided to stop showing DROs that means that there is no way to know that things are paused awaiting a tool change if one is away from the machine. It would be convenient to know the machine status remotely so that you could cut a coffee break short to change tools.

In the video you show tool number and offset (?) on the jog screen so I assume that the description could be included if you go the sync route. Of course during setup the description is not too important since everyone knows the tool number for their Haimer <G>.

So tool change requests are displayed only on the monitor and do not appear on the iPad? If tool change info is not shown on the iPad and, I think, you have decided to stop showing DROs that means that there is no way to know that things are paused awaiting a tool change if one is away from the machine. It would be convenient to know the machine status remotely so that you could cut a coffee break short to change tools.

In the video you show tool number and offset (?) on the jog screen so I assume that the description could be included if you go the sync route. Of course during setup the description is not too important since everyone knows the tool number for their Haimer <G>.
    This release, you can get indication the machine waiting for tool change when the DRO stop moving if you within router range. Tool change request is part of the gcode and not transferred to the pin or trigger, there are special functions to emulate ATC but then that's too much change into PP original code which against the objective of the code. I can add a two line to get this into a pin, but these two lines need to be added in the middle of a function written by PathPilot, which i will leave to the user rather.

I think the two main features iPendant have compared to all other wired pendants is the ability to write to DROs directly and see/change the Tool number. The tool number change was actually implemented for convenience. In the video; I truly did forget to change to T99 from PP screen, so when i wanted to probe, it did not work. I could have just moved the 3 feet away and set to T99 but might as well have it in the Pendant if I can.

I am guessing all other pendants out there includes all other functions as those should be pretty standards like jogging fast or step, change work offsets, zero, reference axis and e-stop. Not sure if custom keyboard shortcut is available elsewhere but probably in some form or another. However, the iPendant is meant to be a Pendant for pre-run phase only, any other features are showing while in cutting-phase is just a bonus.

There is one more feature I am adding for next update, there will be a 'Custom Pin Page' like "Custom Button Page". If the operator/installer/user wants to do their own hardcore changes into the code, then they have that choice; rather than I decide on functions to change or original code to touch, they get to take responsibility of that work; they can use the Custom Pin to trigger LEDs / Messages or even show floating number (maybe temperature they want to show) or RPM of the coolant pump, or pressure. The Custom Pin page allows them to write hook up any value/indication to these LEDs & Labels and the iPad will show it. Making changes like the one you asking easy if one would write the code. It will be actually two lines for this, but interested into the function that Tormach wrote to show on the screen 'Insert Tx....." for tool change. After that line, you just put the custom pin = 1; This will light up in the iPad.

Rather than constantly updating the DROs remotely you could flash a signal that the mill has stopped. Incidentally, the spindle stopped is not necessarily an indication of stopped; I do drag engraving with the spindle always off.

Common runtime functions on other pendants (Mach3 and LinuxCNC/EMC) are things like feed rate override, spindle RPM override, cyclestart/pause/stop

Rather than constantly updating the DROs remotely you could flash a signal that the mill has stopped. Incidentally, the spindle stopped is not necessarily an indication of stopped; I do drag engraving with the spindle always off.
    There is no spindle stop indication; i mean by DRO stopped is no X/Y/Z changes, as the machine is waiting for T change. So engraving with no spindle still shows X/Y movements.

Common runtime functions on other pendants (Mach3 and LinuxCNC/EMC) are things like feed rate override, spindle RPM override, cyclestart/pause/stop
    During beta testing, I had the Dimmed screen option off while cutting. And I’ve been using start/hold/stop. The difference between these Wired and the iPendant is real-time performance. Being Wired means much faster and direct. Being wireless, commands goes to a tour first. It is going like this right now: App -> iOS Socket Layer -> WIFI hardware -> over-the-air using WIFI busy channels (retransmission possible) -> Linux Ethernet hardware Layer -> Raw socket -> HAL Component -> LinuxCNC HAL -> CNC controller. I've measured this to be at least 200 - 250 ms (at best), with the worst being 1 second while cutting. During a test of being at the edge of WIFI range, many commands get retransmitted by the network layer. So keeping the hardware limitation and issues in mind, the software needs to adopt. Even other solutions like remote desktop that could leave you far away looking at the exact screen of PathPilot, a stop click may not reach directly and these solutions experience lag and such issues due to the hardware layer technology with WIFI. However, such limitation or 200ms responses are no-factor when the machine is in setup or pre-run mode.

Requesting PAUSE or STOP with a one second response time could be painful but slow responses should not matter for the other commands. You could use a Bluetooth link as a remote keyboard to implement PAUSE and STOP with no PP changes required. I've been running such here for ages..

How do I purchase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Creedmoor View Post
    How do I purchase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just working on installation strategy right now. I am projecting 10 days or so I will have the App sent off to Apple for their approval process to be included in the App store. The App itself is free for the first part (X DRO, Ref X & Coolant) and only once these three functions are used then the Unlock button appears if one wishes to purchase it.

This provides a complete test for the server side to be fully operational as it is sending all variables at this stage even though only three are shown. So any issues with Controller installation can be ironed out and solved before purchase. Thank you for your interest.

This looks great. I just need to find a cheap iPad Mini. From a previous post (#26), it sounds like Gen 2 or higher should work.
    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    This looks great. I just need to find a cheap iPad Mini. From a previous post (#26), it sounds like Gen 2 or higher should work.
    Yes. Just confirm from various sites similar to the link provided that the model number works with iOS 10+. Even better to confirm from seller that it has iOS 10 at least, This way it can be returned if it did not. Some sellers are saying iPad Mini "B". It does not mean 2nd Gen. Mini seems the perfect size for such use like putting it on the mill bed.

I’ve managed to decrease the additional lines that need to be inserted into PathPilot files. Most of the code is now in iServer dedicated own files, only few lines are added to PathPilot to point to these files.

A shell installation script will be included. The entire installation procedure is straightforward now and can be done in seconds.

Here is the iPendant read-first document. This file explains what files are going to be changed, what are the changes or additions, how to install and uninstall.

I am preparing a zip file which contains all scripts and HAL files. I am expecting the App to show up in the App stores over the weekend.
    https://microkitsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/iPendant-iOS-App-Read-First_B2.pdf

narrobb
    The only comment I think I need to make regarding your response to my post is that I’m not exactly unfamiliar with the PathPilot code…
    Setting a machine in motion by simply contacting the surface of a hand held device, without the application of any force, without the activation of an electromechanical device and without the use of any other lockout mechanisms is potentially dangerous.
    The last few seconds of your second video show how everything except the coolant button is locked while the machine cutting. This is the absolute no-go! If the Start button is inadvertently activated it would be absolutely essential to be able to stop the machine from the same device. You mention in a later post that you’re considering “disabling ‘Start’ from the App”. Without any other safety precautions this absolutely must be removed.
    Any potential user should be concerned about unintentional activation of the machine including, running a program, homing, larger jogging steps and last but not least starting the spindle.

My very last comment on this subject is that anyone planning to use this app should make sure they've carefully read and understood the included pdf.
    Quote:
    “Installer/user understand that there is a risk of damaging your controller files, or damaging your machine, material or risk of injury or death while using iPendant to operate any machine.”
    Step

Considering you already read the pdf file, you failed to mention it also says stop button is now usable during cutting phase. Using the iPad as control device is not much different compared to any other device including mechanicals. Its again naive from your part assuming that an operator will use the iPad in a different manner or procedure compared to a mechanical one. Its like you are convinced someone with an iPad will use it with his back to the machine, while the ones with Mechanical pendants will be looking at the machine. Just because the mechanical pendant have wires does not mean it can’t be used in an unsafe manner either.

Start button is not included in release version and no spindle operation included either.

Touch devices actually proven to be much better compared to Mechanical switches as these have a risk of sticky switches due to the high possibility of small contamination from chips/dust as it considered a concern when using mechanical switches if it sticks in the on position and does not release back.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    narrobb
    The only comment I think I need to make regarding your response to my post is that I’m not exactly unfamiliar with the PathPilot code…
    Setting a machine in motion by simply contacting the surface of a hand held device, without the application of any force, without the activation of an electromechanical device and without the use of any other lockout mechanisms is potentially dangerous.
    The last few seconds of your second video show how everything except the coolant button is locked while the machine cutting. This is the absolute no-go! If the Start button is inadvertently activated it would be absolutely essential to be able to stop the machine from the same device. You mention in a later post that you’re considering “disabling ‘Start’ from the App”. Without any other safety precautions this absolutely must be removed.
    Any potential user should be concerned about unintentional activation of the machine including, running a program, homing, larger jogging steps and last but not least starting the spindle.

My very last comment on this subject is that anyone planning to use this app should make sure they've carefully read and understood the included pdf.
    Quote:
    “Installer/user understand that there is a risk of damaging your controller files, or damaging your machine, material or risk of injury or death while using iPendant to operate any machine.”
    Step

Page 2 of 3 123