586,361 active members*
3,241 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Series II Cnc

I have a couple minor questions before I put power to my BP SERIES II CNC.
    I purchased the machine this winter and am just now getting the time to work on it.
    I had to pull the head off to get it in my shop.
    I have it in position with the head all back on and things cleaned up well.
    I noticed a wire missing on the z axis stepper motor and wanted to make sure it is suppose to be there.
    It is the jumper between terminals 6 & 2 .The manual shows it but its not there now.
    I had the stepper unhooked so It may have been lost then but I am not sure,
    The next issue is with the BIJUR lube system.
    The manual says the system doesn,t function unless the spindle motor is running and to manually operate the plunger to lube the system while jogging
    with the spindle off.
    The plunger on mine is already up about 2 1/2" and won,t budge.
    Am I looking at its operation wrong or has someone maybe broke the plunger?
    I am going to get the phase convertor wired up this weekend and would like to fire her up but need to solve these 2 issues first.
    The previous owner said they had trouble with the x & y axis.
    They say the 2 axis would feed but would not rapid.
    Z axis was suppose to be fine.
    Curious as to what the problem is.
    Thanks to all for the help getting the head off and back on.
    This will be a learning experienc for me,I have been a machinist/CNC operator
    For 20 years but never worked on 1.
    I converted a Smithy 3-1 to cnc and ballscrews but that was pretty easy with gecko,s and steppers.
    Getting this old baby to run again maybe alot more of a challenge.

I cant help you with your Z axis, or really much else.

I have never used a pump like this but you should be able to check with some simple steps. Break the fittings loose from some of the lube line & see if the pump will pump/move. If it will there is probably some nozles that are stoped up/pluged that you could replace. Even the lines could be clogged from crude. It makes sense that things should be moving too get the oil to come out easier & go to where it is needed. But unless there is some kinda safty feacter that keeps it from working it should be able to pump some anyway. You do see alot of people that have the nozzles needing to be replaced. But if they are stoped up loosening the lines at the pump will tell you if the pump is locked up or not because it will release the hydrolic pressure that may be holding the pump back. And if the pump will work with the lines loose you know to look into the nozzles/lines for blockage.

Like I said I have not used one of these pumps before, so use some sense & dont try to force it just incase there is some safty latch or some thing else that is holding it back.

Jess

the pump is not broken. That is the way they work. it is a gearmotor that turns a cam. When the cam turns past the high spot, 'thump' the pump squirts. It has just stopped at the high spot. Usually there is a little space above the reach of the cam, so you can squirt a little at a time.

Rapid on these is not fast.
    The motor on the way oiler only runs when the spindle is on.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Power On

I wired up my phase convertor today and find I have more problems then the previous owner told.
    As soon as I turn on the rear power switch my spindle starts and runs in reverse with the only way of stopping it is press the E-STOP.
    On the user panel as soon as power is on the panel RUN-GOTO-and HOLD
    lights all come on,after about 20 seconds or so they all go out and the ABS light comes on plus the N-F-S-T and X lights come on and stay on ,the readout leds all display zero's.
    Nothing will move all that works is the spindle increase- decrease works fine.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.Am going to start studying the manuals.
    THANKS

You should have to get the machine out of limits to do anything by pressing the red illuminated button in the left top corner of the operator panel. You can start there.
    Maybe the spindle switch is miswired, or a relay resulting in this condition.
    Time to get some composure and start tracing wires.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am guessing that the z axis will make bad noises and might even move. Just wire it like the other 2 phases on the motor.

J

Series Ii

Thanks for the help George,I did try pressing the button even though it is not iluminated.
    I see by reading the manual it is in a limits condition and that these lights will be lit.
    I will keep studing the manual and try to make some headway.
    Is there anything else that needs done other than powering up the system?
    I have tryed flipping the reset toggle inside the panel ,the readouts reset when this is done but nothing else functions.
    I wish I had run one of these before just to see what is normal when power is applied and what is done initially to get the machine functional.

Just a different system than anything else I have ran.
    THANKS AGAIN!

I have some original prints that were with my 1983 Boss 6 SII.
    They are pretty good for tracing wiring if this would be helpfull.
    Does the contactor pull in when you turn power on? or did someone direct wire the T leads to power? Also if you change from low to high speed the direction also changes.

Series II

I also have all the prints and it would be impossible to get things going without them.
    I did find someone had jumped out the spindle start switch and thats why it would come on as soon as power was turned on.
    I now have that wired to the print and can start the spindle forward or reverse with the switch,direction changes depending where the hi/lo switch is at.
    There still is a problem with wires on CR5.
    My spindle will still restart after pressing then resseting the E-stop.
    By the way I am reading the drawing you should have to press the LIMIT
    lighted push button to pull CR5 back in but I don,t have too.
    This is were I see someone jumped wire 214 and 211 together and i think this is the problem.
    i am no electrician so I have to watch what I am doing.
    My lube pump isn,t running with the spindle on either so I need to figure that out also.
    It will take me some time but I am learning.
    It will be another ball of wax to get the axis moving once I get past this mess.

It is hard to see the Bijur pumps working they only make a rev once every 15 min. I thought mine was broke also. If you pull the plunger up does the pressure gauge read any pressure?
    Thanks

If the lube pump actually is NOT running, then I believe there are switches on the side of the contactors that turn the pump on, they also tell the control that the spindle is turning so the control can do a feedrate, and lastly they turn the lube pump on. Maybe by relay CR2. CR5 is used for the AUX group. In some machines, it is for flood coolant, in others it is the brake option.
    CR1 is the one that turns the drives on and off.

George

Series Ii

Thanks for the reply George I do appreciate your help.
    I have been studying the drawings and as of yet I don,t understand how the limit switch circuit works.
    The drawing shows the limits normaly open,how is CR1 brought in through the limit switches if they are open,If they are open what happens when they are tripped?
    Also the spindle up and decel switch,are they looked at before the machine comes out of the power up limit condition and are they normally open or closed?
    Could be an error in the drawings but probably not.
    This machine is in real nice condition and just was worked on by someone that shouldn,t been allowed to touch it.
    Your insight helps to make alot of sense out of these machines.
    This is new to me and I can,t wait till the day I power up the machine and it actually will run.
    I don,t do production work on the side I am just interested in these machines and seeing it run again.
    I could do a retrofit but thats no why I bought it,I want to see it run again in its original state.
    Some will think I am crazy but thats just me.
    THANKS AGAIN!

Most E-STOP circuits are normally closed. This allows for a series of switches in a row where any one could be opened causing the entire string thus to be in an open state.
    The quill in the up position does NOT have a limit switch. It has, as stated before, only a decel and quill at up position switches. The quill down has a axis limit switch.
    The limit override switch is a momentary switch that bypasses the axis limit switches and pulls in CR1. This latches CR1 if none of the string is open. If not, it, when held in, allows the drives to turn ON so the machine can be jogged OFF a limit switch so all axis limit switches are CLOSED and CR1 will stay latched.
    Also, I had a phone call and thus screwed up on the previous answer.
    There are small switches on the sides of the spindle forward/reverse contactors. They tell the control the spindle is turning and a feed rate is allowed, they enable the way oil pump, and they disable the opposite direction contactor coil. Example: the reverse contactor coil goes through a switch on the side of the forward contactor. Thus if the forward contactor is energized, there is no way the reverse contactor can also be energized. And visa versa.
    I believe the quill decel and at up position are wired into the ZDI on a BOSS 6 and the XDI on the earlier machines.

George

Per the book, the fastest this machine will go is 120IPM.

George

Series Ii

Today I got to spend some more time with my Bridgeport.
    My light bulbs came to replace the burned out Limit Resest light.
    My concern now is in what condition does the machine come up in when first powereed up?
    Should the red reset light be lit if the machine is not on a limit switch?
    It seems to me that the limit switches should be normaly open.
    Cr1 is energized only when a limit switch has been tripped,this opens 1 set of contacts and disables power to the drives.
    The limit overide push button is pressed and held to power back the drives so the axis can be ran back off the limit switch at which time the button can be released.The red light is only lit when cr1 is energized.
    Once the axis is off the limit switch cr1 is dropped off and remains untill a limit switch is tripped.
    The way I see it the red light will not be on when the machine is powered up.
    This is the way mine appears to be working now.
    I haven,t figured out if cr5 needs to be energized for the machine to run or not.
    Even with the limit switch circuit working I still am not getting power to the axis stepper motors.
    My readouts are always all zeros and no error lights.
    Maybe some one can tell me how the machine initially powers up and enables the axis drives.
    The panels shows almost 34 fuses but I can only find about 10-12.

Machine boots with RED LIGHT ON.
    Push the red light/switch and you finish the circuit pulling in CR1 which is a latching relay and should stay in as long as the limit string is NOT open.

George

Series Ii Cnc

Thanks again George.
    I have looked at this thing all day today(Cold outside anyway)
    I pulled the X axis limit switch covers off today and find they are wired normally open and close when tripped.
    Has someone changes this thing completely for some reason or what is going on.
    If I wire the z axis switch Normally closed I cannot get CR1 to stay in.
    If i wire for normally open I can push the red bottun and the light goes out plus I hear cr1 come in.
    I then reach down and trip a limit switch the red light comes on until I push the red light again .
    I need to get this system ironed out.
    Another problem I found while following the voltage checks was that -12vr-gnd should be 21-28.5 v and mine is only 13.8.I tried adjusting the trim pot but the voltage will only change about 1 v.
    Also the voltage on FU10 should be 53-59v and I have 49.5v
    All other input and output voltages are good at all points the manual lists so far.
    What is the -12v-GND voltage used for or how.

Alot to learn for someone that doesn,t know anything.
    THANKS AGAIN

Series Ii Cnc

Another thing I found was a voltage test on FU12,FU13,FU14.
    The manual checks voltage on these fuses for the axis with power on but the limit reset not yet pushed.
    The voltage should be 38-42 and mine is only 5v.