Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
I doubt aluminum will act the same as cast iron in this application. I think overall it’s a decent design but I just don’t see the market. Anybody who needs such a machine would go look for a used mill turn machine. That will have a bar puller or even feeder, full flood coolant, and an atc. People act like moving machinery is so difficult but it’s really not. A lot can be done in a garage too. I’d say a worn out industrial machine will probably hold the tolerances this would after a good cleaning of course. Plus this is an investment with no longevity. This was never built to last it’s built to a price point.

I’m not dogging the creator and I think his idea is awsome. I just think there’s a bit more refining to do like ballscrews, an enclosure, and maybe iron ways

Also spindle bearings that he said cost less than $100(he said the whole spindle and motor cost sub $200) aren’t gonna hold the greatest tolerances. The bearings for my fadals ballscrews cost like $85.
All great points and likely valuable to the OP. For myself and likely others I was more interested in satisfying curiosities about the build/design and their legitimacy in satisfying a certain price point. I'm not in the market for a machine like this, however, I do like the idea of the mostly aluminum design and keeping costs as low as possible at least for a DIY/personal machine. Like something I might make for myself, let's say strictly for fun. I think there's a lot of good ideas flowing from this thread.