587,008 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Inventor HSM Tool Length

I just moved over to Inventor HSM form Sprutcam for my Tormach 1100 and wanted to see if anyone could explain this to me.

Within the tool library, HSM is asking for the body length of the endmill from the top of the holder. In Sprutcam I had this option, but the overall length from the spindle to the tip of the tool was most critical.

Essentially, I had to make sure the Sprutcam library and the Path Pilot library were alway kept identical for the overall length(bit of a pain).

I have not posted any code yet or tried this out but just wanted to see if I am missing anything.

Thanks,

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500in Endmill.jpg  

Re: Inventor HSM Tool Length

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ3D View Post
    I just moved over to Inventor HSM form Sprutcam for my Tormach 1100 and wanted to see if anyone could explain this to me.

Within the tool library, HSM is asking for the body length of the endmill from the top of the holder. In Sprutcam I had this option, but the overall length from the spindle to the tip of the tool was most critical.

Essentially, I had to make sure the Sprutcam library and the Path Pilot library were alway kept identical for the overall length(bit of a pain).

I have not posted any code yet or tried this out but just wanted to see if I am missing anything.

Thanks,

Eric
    Hi Eric,

I'm assuming that Inventor is the same as Fusion 360.

I've never entered the tool lengths in Fusion, only the tool diameter. Path Pilot takes care of the tool heights.

Obviously, you must have the diameter for each tool, for it to calculate tool paths.

Michael

I use Sprutcam / Path Pilot combo and all tool offset values are measured at mill and stored on Path pilot controller. I do enter overhang values in Sprutcam and use tool holders in simulations, but only for collision detection on toolpaths. Not clear what setting you had checked In Sprutcam to make you keep both tool tables identical to work, but you didn't have to! Anyway I use only tool diameter and profile in cam software. Tool offsets are set and stored in Path Pilot.

The tool offsets in HSM / Fusion are just for collision detection. The output setup sheets should give you a Z-min (no matter what length you have set in the table) to make sure you have the correct tool offset.

As stated above, final tool offset is set in pathpilot.

Thanks for the answers Guys,

In Sprutcam I always kept 'Overhang' exactly the same as what offset I had in Path Pilot and I would also add the tool holders into Sprutcam. I machine die castings sometimes with long reach end mills. I was always concerned with hitting the tool holder against the casting in tight locations and couldn't figure out any other way to get accurate collision detection. I'm new at this so collision detection is very important for me.

I think I understand it now and hopefully will try it out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ3D View Post
    Thanks for the answers Guys,

In Sprutcam I always kept 'Overhang' exactly the same as what offset I had in Path Pilot and I would also add the tool holders into Sprutcam. I machine die castings sometimes with long reach end mills. I was always concerned with hitting the tool holder against the casting in tight locations and couldn't figure out any other way to get accurate collision detection. I'm new at this so collision detection is very important for me.

I think I understand it now and hopefully will try it out this weekend.
    I agree, it saves me all sorts of problems. You need the same or more length in real life at the mill and your good to go. I like the HSM settings dialog above!
    Sprutcam has these settings wrapped up in the most kludged code I have ever used in my life "Sprut tool table"

Anyway I measure all the tool offsets using the height gauge and granite tool holder block. Enter all those values in path pilot tool table with tool number and description. Cam software relies on diameter and profile and only assumes I provided it something close for collision detection and all the code generated is base on the offset system used above.