586,112 active members*
3,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

56c motor

hi.
    I read your mod and it sounds great. I was just wondering if the other type machines would be able to handle to increase.

Agar: These machines are all the same design and other than a few dimensional changes I personally doubt there is enough difference between any of them to preclude anyone from doing any mod that relates to the IH, RF45 clone , Zay7045 style of mill. Here are some other mods I did to mine that relate to lube system http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36317 Dave

added stiffness

Filling the column with PC will not only add stiffness, it will add a heck of a lot of it. I found this out when I puchased a kit of Anocast PC to fill the columns of X2 mini mills. The mills are famous for a slight sag in the column and it was eliminated.

PC is typically claimed by the manufacturers to require 4X thickness of a cast iron wall to get identical rigidity.

BTW, anyone formulating their own can do a simple test to see if they've got good PC. Cast up a bar about two inches thick and do a break test. With Anocast or Phillycast, the quartz or granite rocks will break clean through as opposed to the epoxy delaminating from the rocks. I was able to duplicate this after calling up a guy at Hardinge and asking where they got the epoxy. I was surprised at the specs of the epoxy as were not very impressive in terms of flexural, tensile etc. The one strength that was very high was the adhesive strength. Then it made sense: it's all about getting as much rock, as little epoxy as possible, and having an epoxy that bonds extrememely well to the rock.

Yes, it will add stiffness to the column. Be sure of it.

-Rick L.

Page 2 of 2 12