586,545 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Anybody thread milling on a Sherline mill with Mach3?

Anybody thread milling on a Sherline mill with Mach3?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody was using Mach 3 to do thread milling for relatively large diameter internal/external threads ( e.g. for optical components/adapters)? I have a Sherline 2000 with sherline motor controller and currently using EMC under Linux. I am considering switching to Mach3. Any information, suggestion or cautions are welcome? Thanks in advance.
    Mike

I am glad you are asking...

Hi guys,

I have a Sherline Model 2000 also and am interested to know whether anyone is using Mach 3 with either the Sherline mill or lathe. I really would like to run a Windows-based program for CNC work. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that there are more of us out here.

Quote Originally Posted by mpolcyn View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anybody was using Mach 3 to do thread milling for relatively large diameter internal/external threads ( e.g. for optical components/adapters)? I have a Sherline 2000 with sherline motor controller and currently using EMC under Linux. I am considering switching to Mach3.
    Not with a Sherline, but with Mach3. Works fine.
    Aircut first, then a soft plastic, then metal.
    There are Mach3 wizards or you can write your own code.

Cheers

Re: Anybody thread milling on a Sherline mill with Mach3?

The thread milling wizard in Mach3 works fine, but you better have as much backlash worked out as possible for GOOD threads. What I would like to find is a Wizard for Mach3 that uses the 4th axis rotary table instead of working the X and Y axis to death for thread milling. Besides less worry about backlash, theoretically the threads would be more accurate.
    Anybody know of such a Wizard for Mach3?

You will need a special 60 degree cutter for that. I am sure they are available.
    I haven't seen a Wizard for that, but it would be very simple to write the code.
    Of course, such an approach is far less versatile than helical interpolation with a thread mill.

Cheers

I've got a combined 60 degree cutter for the thread milling, but after cutting some test threads, I had to wonder about using the rotary table to cut them, especially external threads. Just seems like a good idea to my novice mind.
    Guess I'll have to study up and get FAR better at Gcode.