Hi All,
First time poster. I used to do a lot of work in the CNC industry, in an automotive plant, but I've since moved onto doing more automation and controls. A mutual friend asked me to look at his old Takasawa lathe. Originally I was asked to look at the machine because it wouldn't power up. I did some troubleshooting, checking over the machine for shorts, bad fuses, etc., and determined it was the DC power supply in the operator cabinet. This was repaired and reinstalled earlier today. After installing it, the NC powered up okay but the screen showed "NOT READY." I had a look and noted the following:
  • 240VAC is present and there are no blown fuses in the system
  • Hydraulics come on, as does lubrication pump
  • All axes are off their overtravel switches
  • No alarms are present on the machine
  • CVOH relay wasn't turning on initially; it has been swapped with a relay from the chuck open as it isn't being used
  • Emergency stop on main control panel is functional (i.e., 38.4 is ON when E-stop isn't depressed and turns off when the E-stop is pressed)
  • The main DC drive contactor appears to be getting control power (on this machine, wire 425). The conditions to make this turn on are drive fault contacts are okay (closed), the spindle motor is not faulted (CR167) and the DC motor cooling fan is turning on (FM88). Despite these all being correct, the contactor isn't being energized; I do have 110VAC present between wires 425 and 36 (neutral). If I force the contactor on by pressing the override, the drive will still not power up but I can confirm I get 240VAC phase-to-phase at the drive
  • I have only 6VDC in the operation panel where the block delete, operation selector switch, cycle start/stop, etc. is located.
  • I checked over the connections I made when the power supply was installed today, not finding anything of concern
  • Diagnostics parameters are attached. You'll notice that diagnostics parameter 701.5 is on. I don't know what this one is but I think it may have to do with the issue I'm having

Any advice you can give would be a big help. I'm kind of at my wits end with what could be causing a not ready condition. Thanks for your help!