Hey All,

I am a noob to the electronics end of CNC. Please bear with me if I am asking the wrong question, or asking the right questions wrongly!

I have a Syil x4, 2013 model, 110V mill. It has never been run. I finally got my shop built so I fired it up using Mach 3 and spare PC I had. No sooner had I started it up than I heard a loud pop in the cabinet. I noticed the 20A fuse in the spindle controller board was fried. So I put in a new fuse, fired it up and POP again. The third time I tried it I was looking in the cabinet and saw a flash. It turns out that 2 of the capacitors on the spindle controller board had blown in half and they were arcing across each other.

Kind of a bummer on a machine that was never run before.

Syil America doesn't have a board, I can't get in touch with Charter Oak Automation. Jeff at Syil America recommended DMM in Canada. Michael at DMM (very helpful!) recommended trying to get either a generic spindle controller from a place like Automation Direct, or maybe a whole new controller in the form of a Centroid Acorn system.

Have any of you ever replaced an X4 spindle controller with generic off the shelf part? If so, how do I figure out what I need?

Has anyone here done a complete Acorn type upgrade? If so, I'd love to know how it went and how much you spent.

Thanks for any insight,

CE