Hi all I am trying to work out which electrical bits I'm going to need for my cabinet, and have hit the problem of limit/homing switches.

Questions... Is the accuracy of the limit switches really that important? I have never used a cnc machine before, but I would guess that you would set your 0,0,0 point using indicators off your vice or part you're going to mill before starting an operation.

Do you want them to be wired to the motion controller or do you even perhaps want a switch that shuts off all power to the mill if it's ever hit? Something that activates an e-stop, like through a relay- hardwired. Maybe both?

How do you work out the travel required on the switch? Would this have something to do with your table speeds? Or is this irrelevant as the only time you should encounter the switch is when you're homing and this is done at a controlled speed.

Is there a difference between limit and homing switches? I see the term used interchangeably sometimes.

Is there a sweet spot for price/performance? I see Tormach use Tend TM1308-1

Do you want to use a high voltage limit switch? I would think that 24V would be safer, but I don't know if there are disadvantages.

Any good examples of limit switches or wiring on a mill that was done really well would be helpful, especially if it uses high voltage servos (which I'm using).

Thanks.