586,567 active members*
3,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Weldon vs Collet

HI guys

We do a lot of rough milling with high rate of material removal.. for example dia 32, tool 1mm depth of cut, 8000mm/min feed and 1800 rpm.

We are facing the problem of runout of the tool in the side lock type tool holders...

if I could get suggestions about the best possible way to hold the tool it would help me increase tool life.

As my operation is roughing hence accuracy is not exactly a issue.

Some one suggested me heat shrinking..

Suggestions will be most welcome

Dhiruj

Shrinkers.... but it can vibrate out depending on your setup....

Mill Chucks... like Lyndex/Nikken Ultra locks for example...

You've got a lot of feed for the rpm there.... What are you running? A Feed Mill of some sort? Maybe give a liittle more info on your part and operation...
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

weldon vs collet

hi

well, i am using a SECO tools called feed master. We basically make magnetic beds for milling abd we are machining the steel housings.

you can visit www.sardamagnets.com for more info of our products....

the tools can go at higher feeds but my machine is restricting. I use a Verticle machining centre and the machining is dry NO coolent.

Dhiruj

There are collets available with an insert that extends into the flat in the Weldon type shank. They are "non-pullout" collets. Available from Kennametal (J&L INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY) They are probably made in India and sold here as an Erickson (also owned by Kennametal) product.
    DZASTR

High Feeds I'd go with Solid Tool Holders and End Mills with a Weldon Shank. ETM (AKA ISCAR) make some good ones for CAT40 and 50 Taper Machines at a reasonable price. T.I.R. depending on how good the Tool Shank, Spindle Taper, and Tool Holder should be around .00025 to .0005.

Seco Carboloy, Iscar, Kennametal, and Sandvik have a lot of Indexable Insert ToolHolders that really rip down material fast. TIR on those tools depending on the same conditions above should be around .0001-.0003 maximum.

The more Accurately a Tool is Held in the Spindle the Longer Tool Life you will get, granted....... Feeds, Speeds, Material, Machine Rigitity, and Set Up also play their roll in the art of Machining.

Cheers!!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Schunk hydraulic holders, there is nothing better. Get out the wallet and sit down before looking at the price.

shrink fit is better yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ctate2000 View Post
    Schunk hydraulic holders, there is nothing better. Get out the wallet and sit down before looking at the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
    shrink fit is better yet.
    I'm sure a lot of shops want these but unless your making tons of $$$$ who can afford them LOL
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Shrink fit is the best for certin applications. However, when taking heavy roughing cuts you can get radial deflection due to lack of mass. If you change the method of material removal to compensate then it is superior when run out is critical.

Shrink fit is the best for certin applications. However, when taking heavy roughing cuts you can get radial deflection due to lack of mass. If you change the method of material removal to compensate then it is superior when run out is critical.
    What about High Speed Machining Applications???? Heavy Feed, High Speed.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

There is no universaly accepted definition of high speed machining. It means something different to each industry. You have consider the chip load. High chip loads produce high radial loads on the spindle and the tool holder. Shrink fit holders were intended to minimize radial runout, decrease total tool mass in the spindle and give more tool clearence. They will never perform well in a situation where there are very high radial loads. In the situation described they may perform well but the cutting parameters stated above do not IMHO warrant the cost and complexity of shrink fit.

There is no universaly accepted definition of high speed machining. It means something different to each industry. You have consider the chip load. High chip loads produce high radial loads on the spindle and the tool holder. Shrink fit holders were intended to minimize radial runout, decrease total tool mass in the spindle and give more tool clearence. They will never perform well in a situation where there are very high radial loads. In the situation described they may perform well but the cutting parameters stated above do not IMHO warrant the cost and complexity of shrink fit.

You answered my Question.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

if the tool has considerable runout in a sidelock either the tool or the holder is toast , in a roughing operation the best is a short beefy sidelock holder , the tool will be ridgid and can t push in or pull out , and will have the least chatter or vibration

shrinkfit is designed for precision ,and high speed
    there is no true advantage to shink fit or balanced tool of the sort until the spindle is running 15000 rpm +
    any tg or er type holder can easily hold a tool dead nuts provided the holder and the collets are in good shape , the thing most people tend to forget is the tool should always be dialed to check for runout , overtightening the holder can easily push the tool off center so sometimes loosening the tool and rotating it in the collet and retightening will do the trick

I repeat #4 above.
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    if the tool has considerable runout in a sidelock either the tool or the holder is toast , in a roughing operation the best is a short beefy sidelock holder , the tool will be ridgid and can t push in or pull out , and will have the least chatter or vibration

shrinkfit is designed for precision ,and high speed
    there is no true advantage to shink fit or balanced tool of the sort until the spindle is running 15000 rpm +
    any tg or er type holder can easily hold a tool dead nuts provided the holder and the collets are in good shape , the thing most people tend to forget is the tool should always be dialed to check for runout , overtightening the holder can easily push the tool off center so sometimes loosening the tool and rotating it in the collet and retightening will do the trick
    Thank You Dertsap, hit the nail on the head. I was waiting for you to show up. LOL I have little experience with High Speed Machining but have read a lot here. We needed an experienced authority to post on H.S.M.

I agree with your statement because it makes a lot of sense in the practicalities of Machining.

RICHARD ZASTROW that is also an excellent point about those collets.

From my experience I too go with Solid Tool Holders. Collets fail to hold as rigid as solid tool holders. Then again I like to cut Material, not Skim it.

Now where is Geof??????? He needed to post too.

Cheers!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    ....Now where is Geof??????? He needed to post too.

Cheers!!!!!!
    Geof only works with wimpy aluminum to +/- 0.005" as the tightest tolerance so he goes cheap and just uses a Jacobs Chuck. You learn to duck every now and then to avoid it when it comes off the taper.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Geof only works with wimpy aluminum to +/- 0.005" as the tightest tolerance so he goes cheap and just uses a Jacobs Chuck. You learn to duck every now and then to avoid it when it comes off the taper.
    WOW!!!!!! You must be in Good Shape LOL. The last time that happened to me a Grumpy Old Guy almost threw me out the door by my ear. At least that is what he looked like he wanted to do. Instead he showed me a better way to do things when in a pinch LOL.

I do know that Albrecht makes Diamond Fingered Drill Chucks to hold Carbide End Mills, but they are pretty pricy.

Cheers!!!!!!!

Now what is your real insight Geof?????????
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

....Now what is your real insight Geof?????????
    I don't have any, I have been reading hoping to get some hints. The cutting conditions in the first post: "32, tool 1mm depth of cut, 8000mm/min feed and 1800 rpm." seemed a bit unreal to me. That is a tool advance of 0.175" per revolution on a 1-1/4" dia tool unless I have calculated wrong.

What dertsap said agrees with my experience. For decent cuts we use solid holders but commit the sin of grinding a small flat on the shank. We always use GAR carbide and they are just parallel shank. I have found the high helix cutters pull themselves out of ER Collet holders and will even pull out of rigid without the flat. I looked into the schunk holders and almost fainted!

What I want is a collet holder with a ridge around inside the collets and cutters with a corresponding groove. I reckon there is enough spring in the ER collets to have them about 0.015" high. This would stop pullout and should not affect either runout or balance.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I don't have any, I have been reading hoping to get some hints. The cutting conditions in the first post: "32, tool 1mm depth of cut, 8000mm/min feed and 1800 rpm." seemed a bit unreal to me. That is a tool advance of 0.175" per revolution on a 1-1/4" dia tool unless I have calculated wrong.

What dertsap said agrees with my experience. For decent cuts we use solid holders but commit the sin of grinding a small flat on the shank. We always use GAR carbide and they are just parallel shank. I have found the high helix cutters pull themselves out of ER Collet holders and will even pull out of rigid without the flat. I looked into the schunk holders and almost fainted!

What I want is a collet holder with a ridge around inside the collets and cutters with a corresponding groove. I reckon there is enough spring in the ER collets to have them about 0.015" high. This would stop pullout and should not affect either runout or balance.
    See, I knew you had something to add I agree with the High Helix End Mills pulling out of Collets which is why I grind a .05 Flat in the DuraMill 60 Degree 3 Flute Tin Coated Carbides.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

. We needed an experienced authority to post on H.S.M.

Cheers!!!!!!

i m no authority , just a nutjob who isn t scared to push an simple endmill till it breaks , then i back off 10% , time is money and you throw a few worn endmills or inserts into the equation of time saved , the dollars for time saved outway the burned tools cost = more profit + i love to see the chips fly
    but once set properly though you d be surprised that when you hit that optimal point the tool life increases from what was concidered safe previously,

we had a run of parts recently that the programmer set spec. speeds and feeds , he sent down a 2 1/2 hr program ,i sent him back a 1 hr program,
    yeeha !!!

i think 8000 mm must be one zero too many or it s really soft material

Page 1 of 2 12