586,112 active members*
3,123 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

All in one controller

I'd like to build a all in one controller. Since my laptop has no parallel port, I need to get another pc. I was thinking I could put the mother board and all the pc related parts in the same box as the cnc related parts.
    Is there going to be a heat issue doing things this way?
    I'm using xylotex driver and power supply. I was going to just use a micro atx mother board and small hard drive for the pc portion.

Thanks
    Don

Guess that depends on the CPU you are running. I'd run them separate though. I have the camitronics power supply and I have so much stuffed in there (3 gecksos extra heat syncs switchs to switch the supply between my 2 machines, grex and lots a wiring.) it would be very tight to have all that in a large tower case.

Really all depends on your cooling fan in the case I guess. mine is just a regular mini tower case for the computer and I have a 120v 3" fan to suck the heat out and it still gets hot.

My power supply does not seem to make much heat at all though.

b/.

Arrow All In One Controller

Quote Originally Posted by dwacker View Post
    I'd like to build a all in one controller.I was thinking I could put the mother board and all the pc related parts in the same box as the cnc related parts.
    Hi Don
    Check the photos in post #5 of THIS LINK which is what you want to do. The mini MB is visible in the 3rd photo.

I have a similar unit built by Mlaws1172 that does a fine job on My Plasma table.

Several fans are incorporated that prevent overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Weldtutor View Post
    Hi Don
    Check the photos in post #5 of THIS LINK which is what you want to do. The mini MB is visible in the 3rd photo.

I have a similar unit built by Mlaws1172 that does a fine job on My Plasma table.

That is a sweet cabinet. I'm not sure I,m up to anything so nice but exaxtly the type of thing I had in mind. I do have a small metal box already that would house the boards but I doubt I could get the power upplies stuffed in there.
    Without power supplies being in the box would heat be a issue with just a fan or three?

Don

Hi Don

Just looked at post #5 and I think the fans have been taken too far with that big one on the underside of the case.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    the fans have been taken too far with that big one on the underside of the case.
    John,
    I had to re-check the first 2 photos & now I see what you mean!
    That gave me the best laugh of the week, thanks. :banana: Most systems normally do use much smaller fans.(chair)

Don, without the PSU in your enclosure you'd likely be OK with the fan or 3.

Mine has a large fan directed at the toroid transformer that is active when the controller is 'ON,' the normal fan on the CPU, & a third that causes air flow through the enclosure.

That is just a small fan we usually use much larger .

I do have a couple of cabinets that I would give away to anyone that wants them. You pay frieght. They are the big ones like I used on Bruces.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlaws1172 View Post
    I do have a couple of cabinets that I would give away to anyone that wants them. You pay frieght. They are the big ones like I used on Bruces.

mike
    I would jump at one of those enclosures if you were on my side of the pond; they are an excellent looking job. I must admit the wiring of the machine is not my favourite part of machine building. I would like to have all electronic components in the same enclosure but am unsure of how close they could be without causing problems. I didn’t really consider heat as a problem as long as you have sufficient air flow. With your experience what would your tips be and things to be avoided while using a single enclosure?

Most systems normally do use much smaller fans.(chair)
    So you flap a chair about to increase air flow, not a bad idea. Do you think that is how they did it before the invention of electric fans?

John

So you flap a chair about to increase air flow, not a bad idea. Do you think that is how they did it before the invention of electric fans?
    John
    That is likely how they did it.:bs:

Don
    Mike's integrated computer/controller has a nice big aluminum heat sink that the Geckos mount on to keep them cool.

That way you will not need those 20" fans that John noticed in the pictures, nor will you have to resort to 'flapping' of chairs.:nono:

Please forgive me if this is just too simple an idea, but...
    Why couldn't you just put your computer and control box inside a small refrigerator?
    Like one of the dorm sized ones? (if they'd fit)
    They are cheap to run.
    Keep things cool.
    Computers don't need fresh air, just cool air.
    Could easily make access panels to run cabling out of.
    Keyboard, monitor, and mouse outside of it.
    Be pretty dust proof.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by 11bravo View Post
    Please forgive me if this is just too simple an idea, but...
    Why couldn't you just put your computer and control box inside a small refrigerator?
    Like one of the dorm sized ones? (if they'd fit)
    They are cheap to run.
    Keep things cool.
    Computers don't need fresh air, just cool air.
    Could easily make access panels to run cabling out of.
    Keyboard, monitor, and mouse outside of it.
    Be pretty dust proof.

Am I missing something?
    Might be a serious problem with condensation?

John

Thank for the replies. This is what I came up with from a junk pc. You can see the xylotex psu. The motherboard would go on the same panel to the left. The driver board on the floor panel or the drive bay. The HDD would go anny place the drivers didnt. Thats it no other pc parts I was just going to use a usb cd drive to load the HDD and then remove it.
    Stop me if this looks like its going to have problems?
    Is there a way to load a operating system onto the HDD without a cd drive?

Thanks
    Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 022.jpg  

Might be a serious problem with condensation?

John
    Yeah, yeah, I forgot that.
    OK, then put it in a big cardboard box with a window unit air conditioner.