586,103 active members*
3,593 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Simple (dumb?) question . . .Machine move

Simple (dumb?) question . . .Machine move

I have a small (24x12x6) knee mill that I need to move to another building. I failed to notice when I placed it in its' current position that there is a 3/4" eye-bolt hole near the top of the upper casting. Even though it does not appear to be near the balence point, can I safely assume that this the there to "carry" the machine? Is it common to lift and move CNC mills in this manner? It sure would be easier than trying to skid the machine and not have it tip over while carrying it on a fork lift! Thanks for any insights.

i can't give you a technical answer to this, but i can say that i have seen several cnc mills (haas) installed and moved and a couple of cnc lathes (damn if i can remember what they were, i don't run those.) and i have only seen it done with fork trucks, even when an overhead crane was available. take it for what it's worth.
    i can say also that the balance points on cnc machines always seems to be somewhere other than the obvious. probably cause you can't actually see the heavy bits under all the cowling and stuff.

This has been discussed many times here.
    I used google and this was hit #3 http://www.truetex.com/movebpt.htm
    (and is 1 of the best methods).
    Also you can use hoisting slings in the same locations as the lift truck is picking.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by brgrii View Post
    ...there is a 3/4" eye-bolt hole near the top of the upper casting. Even though it does not appear to be near the balence point, can I safely assume that this the there to "carry" the machine? Is it common to lift and move CNC mills in this manner?....
    If you look at the link in Darebee's post you can see yes it is safe to assume the threaded hole is for an eye bolt that could lift the machine.

You will also see that it is not common to use this eyebolt. Maybe if you where using a crane truck and needed to lift the machine four feet off the ground you would use it.