586,096 active members*
3,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Machinist Hangout > My Journey To The Perfect Drag Knife

My Journey To The Perfect Drag Knife

Hi Folks

Just thought I would do a post on my trial and errors of making a drag knife
    I know this subject has been covered many times before on a lot of media
    platforms. but this one is quite unique especially if you are contemplating making your own..

I was interested in buying one from Donek tools but after looking at there dimensions
    I would have struggled to fit to my 6040, cnc due to limited Z clearance and shaft size.

My only option was to make my own, knowing the internet is full of variations of the donek drag knife. But alas all the plans I came across were very similar in size.

So to work I went, I dug out a old unused Stanley blade from my tool box and set about getting the correct measurements using my vernier, I used Vectric aspire
    to create the profiles and went ahead and made one..

Here's the result, But this is also where the hard fought journey began, more to follow..

Re: My Journey To The Perfect Drag Knife

So following on from my last post, whilst using the Drag knife to cut out some cardboard box templates I noticed the blade was starting to dull, so time to order
    some new ones.

Once they arrived I tried fitting one, but to my surprise the Stanley blade would not fit
    I paired up both my old blade & the new one only to notice that the Stanley logo and the dimensions had changed, I then got in touch with Stanley tools and asked if they had made any alterations to there blades, and they confirmed they had. Gutted!

This meant I would need to get out the Dremmel to modify the insert, I was not confident in doing this for making it totally unusable, so I decided I would
    buy some more aluminium stock and make a new one plus I could make a 2nd
    but smaller profile drag knife for more intricate cuts..

Now here's the mad thing, I was looking for a pen to write down my new dimensions
    and picked up a sharpie from my draw only to find it had dried out, I then had another
    rummage and found another one but noticed this was double ended, a thin and fat tip
    a either end, then all of a sudden I had a light bulb moment, then after many countless
    failed attempts at making prototypes this is the result…

If anyone is interested in seeing this drag knife being tested, i`ve uploaded a vid to Youtube

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIUWtHxcdE&t=)

Can you post drawing of your cutter. Thanks.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Hi

I was asked if would share the Drag Knife plans

here you go..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't have way to open this file because is in CRV3d format. Can you upload it as dxf file ?. Thanks.

No problem here you go Iancut

Nice I tried this method but was not overly happy with the result on fine cuts so i went for the plotter knife in a spindle wiith a round magnet for holding and small bearings inside for the swivle .It is short and sweet a dream for gaskets and decals ,I keep forgetting it was two years ago.

Thank you.