586,080 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Which Spindle and VFD... again
Page 10 of 12 89101112

Re: Which Spindle and VFD... again

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    Sorry Gerry that should have read the voltage from the G540 to power on the VFD.

My focus here is how to turn on the VFD with the G540 since I don’t have 1 power switch for my CNC I wanted to find a way to power up the VFD using the G540. Is that not possible?
    If you want to turn on the VFD from the G540 you would need a solid state relay like this suited for your supply ( 40A rated for the solid state ) or a contactor with a ( 30A rating ) you can switch something else with the contactor as you would have 2 spare contacts, so anything like in the snips

These are for switching your 240v supply to the VFD Drive R and T wires have to be switched for 240v NA supply

The switching voltage from the G540 would have to suit the solid state input and the switching coil of the ABB contactor
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

I am using one of these.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prelay.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    No, you want the VFD to power up with your main power. As Mactec showed in post #170.
    Normally this is the way it is done, but the VFD Drive can be turned on after the main supply

So anything can be turned on after the main supply is on, if it is done correctly with the correct switching devices
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you want to turn on the VFD from the G540 you would need a solid state relay like this suited for your supply ( 40A rated for the solid state ) or a contactor with a ( 30A rating ) you can switch something else with the contactor as you would have 2 spare contacts, so anything like in the snips

These are for switching your 240v supply to the VFD Drive R and T wires have to be switched for 240v NA supply

The switching voltage from the G540 would have to suit the solid state input and the switching coil of the ABB contactor
    Perfect! exactly what I was looking for... Mactech54 also thanks Ericks.
    Gecko G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X and A axis, 1/2-10 5 Start Acme-Z Axis
    4-THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48 48V

Unfortunately I'm not trained in electrical wiring and schematic interpretation which is why I'm hoping to gain some clarity from the forum users.
    In reference to powering on /off the VFD. I plan on using a control panel that I have made that will turn on my G540 and the VFD at the same time. I think I need to use the voltage from the VFD to control a relay that will turn on the VFD, does that make sense? I'm assuming that for this to work I'll need to insert the SSR relay into the NEUTRAL "T" line of the power cord supplying the VFD with power

Am I not thinking about this correctly?
    Can you take a photo of the input wiring you have done for the VFD when you say Neutral that send me an alarm, that you may not have this wiring correct, do not power up the VFD until this is verified as being correct
    Mactec54

Post #143 has the VFD connections...

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...ml#post2240004

I believe its wired correctly as I've already had the VFD up and running as well as tuned the Spindle. I think this was the wiring used..

Attachment 407638

Post #143 has the VFD connections...

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...ml#post2240004

I believe its wired correctly as I've already had the VFD up and running as well as tuned the Spindle. I think this was the wiring used..

Attachment 407638
    The VFD R S T Terminals not the plug at the wall, the Plug at the wall if this is direct to the VFD then it would be incorrect, the VFD and spindle will still run but may be damaged if using all these wires

Just found it no that is not correct remove the Neutral wire this can not be wired to the VFD Drive this has been known to smoke your VFD Drive, Just saved you the cost of a new drive hopefully

The 2 Hot wires and Ground are the only connections that can be connected for 240v NA supply to the input R and T Power Terminals
    Mactec54

The VFD R S T Terminals not the plug at the wall, the Plug at the wall if this is direct to the VFD then it would be incorrect, the VFD and spindle will still run but may be damaged if using all these wires

Just found it no that is not correct remove the Neutral wire this can not be wired to the VFD Drive this has been known to smoke your VFD Drive, Just saved you the cost of a new drive hopefully

The 2 Hot wires and Ground are the only connections that can be connected for 240v NA supply to the input R and T Power Terminals

Thanks Mactec54, the neutral wire is capped at the VFD and not currently being used, that image doesn't show that its capped off..

I assume this would be a viable substitute for the Crydom SSR it looks to be a 40amp dual SSR and meets the same criteria?

https://www.amazon.com/Holdwell-4-15...al+solid+relay

Thanks Mactec54, the neutral wire is capped at the VFD and not currently being used, that image doesn't show that its capped off..

I assume this would be a viable substitute for the Crydom SSR it looks to be a 40amp dual SSR and meets the same criteria?

https://www.amazon.com/Holdwell-4-15...al+solid+relay
    That was good to here with the VFD connection, when you posted Neutral and T Terminal in the other post I thought you may have used a Neutral

Its only 25A not enough for this type of switching, the Crydom number is D2440D or H12D4840D these are both zero crossing and the type you want, there are other manufactures, but for these high load relays in your installation stay away from the cheap Chinese solid state relays
    Mactec54

Just confirming that on the G540 side to control the spindle I should be using at least a 30a 48v SSR to meet or exceed that of the G540, correct?

Thanks,

I was just re-reading your post about the Dual SSR, you said I would have "2 spare contacts" on the SSD which I'm not sure I understand? I was under the impression that the Dual SSR was for the "R" and "S" lines feeding the VFD, is that not correct?

I was just re-reading your post about the Dual SSR, you said I would have "2 spare contacts" on the SSD which I'm not sure I understand? I was under the impression that the Dual SSR was for the "R" and "S" lines feeding the VFD, is that not correct?
    That is correct, depends on what switching type you use, contactors are more commonly used than the SSR, I prefer the SSR if it is over sized then they work and last very well if they are to small for the job ( Low Amp Rating ) then they will fail when switching these types of load

Normally for these VFD Drive you can connect to any of the 3 Terminals R and S or R and T

R and T connection has been the most Trouble free connection and I always recommend to use R and T for the Huanyang VFD Drives

The 2 Spare contacts are if you used a 4 Pole contactor the option I gave you, SSR or the Contactor in the photos

You have 2 separate circuits in these SSR ( 1 ) to switch each Hot ( Live ) Leg for NA 240v single phase

The input low voltage to switch these SSR's also has 4 pins, which you can join each pair of pins together it's not so messy for wiring then, ( take care in doing this if wired wrong you can damage the SSR )
    Mactec54

Got it. That makes sense now Mactec54.

OUTPUTS: The G540 has two general purpose outputs called OUTPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 on the MAIN TERMINAL BLOCK. They are at POSITION 5 and POSITION 6 respectively on the terminal block. These outputs may be used to drive relay coils or for any other purpose. The outputs are rated at 1A and 50VDC maximum. Connect one end of the load to the output and connect the other end of the load to a positive DC voltage. This voltage may be the G540 power supply or it may be a separate power supply having a different voltage.
    Since the G540 outputs are rated to output 1a 50vdc max on the 2 pins (5,6) used for driving relays can I simply add a resistor in line to accomodate the Crydom relay above you had suggested to reduce the input voltage or simply find one that accepts the 50v input?

While looking over the wiring document for the Spindle that I was referring to I noticed they are using a 30a 48v relay which seems to not fit, overkill? I would think they only needed a relay rated for at least 1mp 50v?

Attachment 407670

Just trying to make sure I understand what the variables are... probably over analyzing as usual but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Adam,

Just confirming that on the G540 side to control the spindle I should be using at least a 30a 48v SSR to meet or exceed that of the G540, correct?

Thanks,
    For Turning the VFD Main Power Supply On / Off the SSR would be 40A 240v 5v Plus DC to turn this SSR On / Off

To control the spindle On / Off and speed control, this can all be controlled from the G540 outputs nothing is needed, only in some cases you may need another small SSR or a simple relay to control the Spindle On / Off this could be as low 1amp rated, this is just a switch and is doing very little work so no high voltage or high amperage needed for turning the Spindle On / Off

Just saw your new post, Yes if you are use a large power supply for your voltage supply like your schematic then yes you will need a SSR to suit

You will have a hard job finding a low amp SSR that would be why they have what they do in the schematic

Why not use a 12v or 24v 2a to 5a supply this is more than enough to do what they are doing
    Mactec54

Got it. That makes sense now Mactec54.

Since the G540 outputs are rated to output 1a 50vdc max on the 2 pins (5,6) used for driving relays can I simply add a resistor in line to accomodate the Crydom relay above you had suggested to reduce the input voltage or simply find one that accepts the 50v input?

While looking over the wiring document for the Spindle that I was referring to I noticed they are using a 30a 48v relay which seems to not fit, overkill? I would think they only needed a relay rated for at least 1mp 50v?

Attachment 407670

Just trying to make sure I understand what the variables are... probably over analyzing as usual but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Adam,
    The ratings of the Gecko output and the SSR have nothing to do with each other. Like Mac, I don't know why they would use a 30A SSR there. A signal relay (with coil voltage that matches the power supply voltage,) should work fine.

So this isn't the best drawing but I think you can make out the colors and lines... assuming no color blindness, lol!

My intent is to use the existing power supply to feed the relay's, eliminate the need for an additional piece of equipment and to allow the E-Stop to shut down the entire system if needed.

Since the Power Supply is 48v I'm assuming the input side on the both relay's must also be 48v 30a to match the PS output voltage (purple / pink)?

If that's the case then I "assume" I need to reduce that voltage somehow?

Pins 7,8,9 of the G540 will connect to (VI, ACM, 10v) and Relay #1 will connect to (DCM, FOR)

Attachment 407672

So this isn't the best drawing but I think you can make out the colors and lines... assuming no color blindness, lol!

My intent is to use the existing power supply to feed the relay's, eliminate the need for an additional piece of equipment and to allow the E-Stop to shut down the entire system if needed.

Since the Power Supply is 48v I'm assuming the input side on the both relay's must also be 48v 30a to match the PS output voltage (purple / pink)?

If that's the case then I "assume" I need to reduce that voltage somehow?

Pins 7,8,9 of the G540 will connect to (VI, ACM, 10v) and Relay #1 will connect to (DCM, FOR)

Attachment 407672
    That is correct, I think your power supply is the only problem
    Mactec54

This morning I went about rechecking the numbers on the VFD and verifying that the spindle maxed out at 18K RPM. When I shot this video it was after the initial tuning and setting the parameters in the VFD as directed from Huanyang. I'm pretty sure its long past 18K or maybe just the display didn't match the spindle speed??

https://youtu.be/C4tfuukUyZA

The manual says to set P2.01-P2.05 before running the auto tune and here are the numbers currently set in the VFD and what I think they should be.

Attachment 407834

Attachment 407836

The motor speed stands out as well as the motor power being incorrect (1450, 5.5).. I believe the frequency of the motor is 50?

Would someone mind double checking me...

Adam,

I think the motor frequency should be 300, not 50?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For the VFD input from G540 you do not need any kind of relay, the output of the G540 is a open drain Mosfet (2n7000) and can be connected directly to the FWD PLC input.
    I have done it this way and posted a few diagrams, probably one in this thread.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 10 of 12 89101112