586,094 active members*
4,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SX3 disassembly trouble

I'm trying to disassemble my new SX3 to remove the grease. I've removed the bolts from the bearing support plate on the left and right ends of the table, and removed the plate from the left end. I can't separate the table from the motor on the right, however. If I pull hard enough on the table, I move the table with the motor (the ball screw turns along with the motor). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ya mine was a little tricky as well

What I ended up doing was taking a set of feeler gages and using them as leverage. On mine I was not able to pull it directly off but I was able to wiggle it up and down slightly by gently pulling on the motor. So what I did was open a gap inserting the feeler gages into the gap. From here I used the feeler gages as leverage to slight draw the plate off of the pins. I repeated the process with a thicker stacked of gages until it slipped off of the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Involute View Post
    I'm trying to disassemble my new SX3 to remove the grease. I've removed the bolts from the bearing support plate on the left and right ends of the table, and removed the plate from the left end. I can't separate the table from the motor on the right, however. If I pull hard enough on the table, I move the table with the motor (the ball screw turns along with the motor). Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Don't forget that you have taper pins locating the parts relative to each other, as well as the M6 caps screws which hold the parts together. I have found that a sharp tap was enough to move the bearing / stepper / coupling / mounting-plate assembley, with the taper pins, away from the table or cross slide assembly respectively.
    Note, My experience may be somewhat different to yours. I am retrofitting a Syil kit to my X-3.
    Regards,
    Russell
    Perth, WA.