586,080 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mach2 and Rutex

I just purchased Mach 2 last night and am having troubles getting it to work.

I did the manditory reboot.
    I dont have quicktime installed.
    etc etc

The program works but it just wont turn my 3 servos.
    I havnt read the whole maunual yet. 200+ pages.
    I just want to see some action even if its dumb action.
    Do I have to read the whole manual first? ( I am Lazy )

I can hear the rutex board relay click when I reset mach 2 but thats all the action I get.

I opened the rutex test program and that works ok, so i presume the porting is correct.

I am sure its something very simple ( like myself)

What things can I do to get those buggers spinning without having to read the whole manual first. I will read it, but dont want to do it first. ( Yes I was the sort of kid who snuck into his partents room a week b4 Christmas and previewed the presents.

Any suggections?

Oh just in case it matters:

Rutex boards with mother board.
    Win XP
    1400 AMD
    Minimal programs running in the background.

EDIT: I went to the Mach2 forum and was embarresed that for a bussiness that charges 150 bucks for its product, it uses yahoo geocities for its forum. Very cheap. SORRY ART
    If you ask most people that use Mach2, they'll tell you it's probably worth 10 times what you paid for it. He's not getting rich charging $150 for what he's selling.

And if you'd have politely asked for help there instead of complaing about it, you might have found out that it's one of the best sources of info to be found anywhere, and that Art's support is second to none. Hopefully, since you did buy it, Art will help you out if you ask politely.

And yes, you should read every page of the manual. The Mach2 manual is an excellent source of information, and a thourough reading will help you get the most out of your purchase.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ynneb to answer your last question first, about the moving of members, I think he (Art) is probably going to set up a new site of his own with a forum all it's own. There has been talk of it.

As to the technical questions....I run steppers so may not be much help. I know there is lots of configuring to do and there is a Rutex tuning page on the newer versions of Mach2. I also know aht it is to be in a hurry to watch things spin and hear them hum but you had better read the manual.

Much of the manual I didn't understand till I had read it two or three times and it does take some reading. Concentrate on the tuning and config first then read some more!

Mike

ps Yes it is worth 10 times as much as he asks for it, but I sure am glad he doesn't ask for it! I had a ph conversation early on when I started my retrofit and ask him why he only ask $150 for the program. His answer...."well, I'm tired of the little guy getting screwed"

ppss he someday wants to write a $150 full solids cad/cam program
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Being outside the square !!!

ynneb,

I read your post here before I went to the Mach2 forum so I knew what you meant before I got there. That said, if I had gone there first I would understand Bloy and the other's there not understanding!

Could I make you a sincere suggestion? Copy your post from here and post it there, explaining that you are totally embarrassed by the whole thing and that it is because you are completely inept, inadequate, incapable and nearly void of the ability to express yourself when chewing on "AUSTRAILIAN" shoe leather! I'm sorry but I just could not pass that opportunity up!

Seriously, go apologize show them the post and invite them ot your bar-b-q! I would love to come but that is a bit too far to swim!

Mike

Well done ynneb!:banana: :banana:

Mike

Bloy I am a brother and remember all too well the fights we had. Nothing good ever came from them.

If art needs help to set-up a site, I'd be more than happy to help him. Pass it on-

Ynneb,

Back to your problem of not getting the motors spinning. If you read my Mach 2 review you will see that I said Mach 2 is NOT easy to setup. I am a computer and software expert for CAD/CAM. I could not get things working at first as well. I happen to catch Art at home one evening and between about 8-10 emails back and forth I got it working. This was before the manual was out.

If you can't get personal help from Art you will need to study the manual very slowly in the area of setting up the pins in the configure screens. I have a complete screen capture of my setups screen that I have zipped and sent to people who were having trouble. Maybe it will help you as well I will see if I can attached it here. Well my zip file is too large. it's 590 K. I will see if I can upload it to the files section.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I placed the file in the "free / Demo" area.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Thanks Jeff, I will download it now.
    Oh and thanks for going to the effort of doing the screen capture.

Hey Jeff, I downloaded your screen capture, and tried to enter your settings as an experiment. I noticed that my version of mach2 had a few slight variations from your scren capture.

Anyhow after entering all the settings the same as yours I then discovered that you can just copy and paste the XML document in the mach 2 folder that relates to your profile. I was wondering just for experimentation purpose if you could also post that, or email it to me at [email protected] .
    It will be about 20k in size and will automatically enter all your setting in one go. Did you know you could do this?

I have had much better success now but still was thinking the drive speed was too slow especially if I am going to gear the servos down 10:1.

EDIT: I am slowly reading the manual. I think a bit of fidling with the settings and a bit of reading and Ill get there.

Anyhow after entering all the settings the same as yours I then discovered that you can just copy and paste the XML document in the mach 2 folder that relates to your profile. I was wondering just for experimentation purpose if you could also post that, or email it to me at [email protected] .
    No I did not know this. I have never looked inside the Mach 2 directory. I am using an older copy and I know I should update it but I just have not had the time.

I'm thinking that maybe sending my older version of XML would not be a good idea.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)

Page 1 of 2 12