586,113 active members*
3,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2KW Power cable

Chinese 2.2KW Power cable

Hello all!

I purchased a chinese 2.2Kw spindle and VFD package and was wondering about power cable. Right now I have an old 12/3 extension cord cut using as power cable and a16awg Green ground wire going from spindle body to earth ground. Should I be using a shielded power cable? If so could I use 18/4awg shielded? reason i ask is because i have hundreds of feet of that and the chart i looked at said 18/4 is usable up to 7.25 amps. According to my vfd my spindle never pulls over 2 amps.

I have been running the spindle for about 2 months and have no issues so far just wondering if i should make the change.

Re: Chinese 2.2KW Power cable

Quote Originally Posted by msdeltaguy View Post
    Hello all!

I purchased a chinese 2.2Kw spindle and VFD package and was wondering about power cable. Right now I have an old 12/3 extension cord cut using as power cable and a16awg Green ground wire going from spindle body to earth ground. Should I be using a shielded power cable? If so could I use 18/4awg shielded? reason i ask is because i have hundreds of feet of that and the chart i looked at said 18/4 is usable up to 7.25 amps. According to my vfd my spindle never pulls over 2 amps.

I have been running the spindle for about 2 months and have no issues so far just wondering if i should make the change.
    Never pulls over 2 amps, that's a per phase reading

Yes you should be using a shielded cable which needs to be 4 core plus shield here is a part number for the correct cable, you need a minimum of 16 AWG for your 2.2 Kw spindle

CF6-015-04 this you can get from IGUS, is the most cost effective for this type of cable, just add the part number and you will have all the information about the cable

https://www.igus.com/product/950
    Mactec54

Re: Chinese 2.2KW Power cable

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Never pulls over 2 amps, that's a per phase reading

Yes you should be using a shielded cable which needs to be 4 core plus shield here is a part number for the correct cable, you need a minimum of 16 AWG for your 2.2 Kw spindle

CF6-015-04 this you can get from IGUS, is the most cost effective for this type of cable, just add the part number and you will have all the information about the cable

https://www.igus.com/product/950
    that enplanes it..... I figured the spindle was pulling more than 2 amps. Hey thanks for the information about the cable also. So far I haven't had any issues with my cut extension cord power cable but I do want to fix the issue asap