586,069 active members*
3,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Can anyone help with Load monitor on Genos Lathe

Can anyone help with Load monitor on Genos Lathe

i run a Genos l300myw lathe. I dont understand how the load monitor works, often ill set it for a part and it seems to run very well, the next day ill switch to a different part run the auto mode but am always bothered with timely stops. often times it wont even be touching the part and it will set off the load monitor. i do find if i let the auto mode run for an extended period of time i start to see better results but I'm talking three hours.
    if anyone has any insight,
    that would be helpful.

Re: Can anyone help with Load monitor on Genos Lathe

Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Your issue is that Okuma by default uses a % value over base setting for setting the overload and breakage levels. This is a problem since if you are running at a low load such as 5%, it will auto set at 5,5 and 6% so you will immediately get an alarm when trying to monitor after doing the autoset function. When you are setting a high load it will set at 100, 110, and 120 which is way too wide for proper monitoring.

I wrote some code to change this using built in system variables. It will fix the settings so that you have a 99% chance of success rather than a 99% chance of failure.

It takes the base value and adds a FIXED value to the base rather than a % multiplier. Cures your headaches almost instantly.

What you do is run your proven program using autoset, then run AUTOSETFIXR.MIN. This will fix all 64 parts on all axes in a few seconds. After that call your program back up, turn on MONITOR and run the program.

Try it, you'll like it.

You may need to adjust for your machine.

Best regards,

AUTOSETFIXR.MIN

(THIS PROGRAM CHANGES LOAD MONITOR VALUES TO BASE+ FIXED VALUES
    RATHER THAN BASE * PERCENT VALUE
    USE AMT1 AND AMT2 FOR 1ST AND 2ND LEVEL SETTINGS OVER BASE LOAD
    TLN = STARTING VLMON# ETLN= ENDING VLMON#)
    (********)
    TLN=0 AMT1=7 AMT2=14 ETLN=64 (PARAMETER SETUP FOR A TURRET)
    (********)
    NSTRT TLN=TLN+1
    NETLN IF [TLN GT ETLN] NEND
    NCKAL TOTB=VLMSB[TLN](+VLMWB[TLN])+VLMXB[TLN](+VLMYB[TLN]) +VLMZB[TLN]+VLMMB[TLN]+VLMCB[TLN](+VLMBB[TLN])
    TOT1=VLMS1[TLN](+VLMW1[TLN])+VLMX1[TLN](+VLMY1[TLN]) +VLMZ1[TLN]+VLMM1[TLN]+VLMC1[TLN](+VLMB1[TLN])
    IF[[TOTB+TOT1]EQ 0]NSTRT
    NMSB IF [VLMSB[TLN]EQ 0]NZS ( SPINDLE )
    VLMS1[TLN]=VLMSB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMS2[TLN]=VLMSB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMWB
    NZS VLMS1[TLN]=0 VLMS2[TLN]=0
    NMWB(IF[VLMWB[TLN]EQ 0]NZW) ( W-AXIS )
    (VLMW1[TLN]=VLMWB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMW2[TLN]=VLMWB[TLN]+AMT2)
    GOTO NMXB
    NZW VLMW1[TLN]=0 VLMW2[TLN]=0
    NMXB IF[VLMXB[TLN]EQ 0]NZX ( X-AXIS )
    VLMX1[TLN]=VLMXB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMX2[TLN]=VLMXB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMYB
    NZX VLMX1[TLN]=0 VLMX2[TLN]=0
    NMYB(IF[VLMYB[TLN]EQ 0]NZY)( Y-AXIS )
    (VLMY1[TLN]=VLMYB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMY2[TLN]=VLMYB[TLN]+AMT2)
    GOTO NMZB
    NZY VLMY1[TLN]=0 VLMY2[TLN]=0
    NMZB IF[VLMZB[TLN]EQ 0]NZZ ( Z-AXIS )
    VLMZ1[TLN]=VLMZB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMZ2[TLN]=VLMZB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMMB
    NZZ VLMZ1[TLN]=0 VLMZ2[TLN]=0
    NMMB IF[VLMMB[TLN]EQ 0]NZM ( M-AXIS )
    VLMM1[TLN]=VLMMB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMM2[TLN]=VLMMB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMCB
    NZM VLMM1[TLN]=0 VLMM2[TLN]=0
    NMCB IF[VLMCB[TLN]EQ 0]NZC ( C-AXIS )
    VLMC1[TLN]=VLMCB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMC2[TLN]=VLMCB[TLN]+AMT2
    GOTO NMBB
    NZC VLMC1[TLN]=0 VLMC2[TLN]=0
    NMBB(IF[VLMBB[TLN]EQ 0]NZB)( SPINDLE 2 )
    (VLMB1[TLN]=VLMBB[TLN]+AMT1 VLMB2[TLN]=VLMBB[TLN]+AMT2)
    GOTO NLOOP
    NZB VLMB1[TLN]=0 VLMB2[TLN]=0
    NLOOP GOTO NSTRT
    NEND M2

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

could you elaborate a little on how this works.

This uses the internal system variables in your machine. It looks at the base level that is captured using AUTO-SET and then automatically adjusts the overload and breakage set points. Don't worry it can do nothing more than adjust the settings for you to more useable levels.

It's also a good way to clear out the registers by setting the base level to 0. It will the adjust all the other levels to 0 if it is.

Anything else you'd like to know?

Hi Crew,

Could someone please help a newbie to load monitoring on an OSP7000 LB15II.

Could you provide step by step instructions on how to set this up? Okuma Wiz I really liked your adjustments program. That makes a lot of sense although the variables seemed to not work with my machine.

My crude assumptions were I could press Autoset, run the program, then just change to load monitor button and it would alarm out if it over reached by a % on any axis.

It doesnt seem to be that simple.

If someone could assist I would be very grateful. All I want to be able to do is walkaway during the middle of the part and know that when an insert breaks its not going to keep ploughing the holder through the job,

Thanks for your assistance. Iain.

You run your part program with "auto-set" once and update settings manually in the parameter page for each tool.

The variables work on your machine. Look carefully at the code and remove the code for axes that you do not need. (Like is shown for the Y axis) Now I’m assuming that you have added the needed code to your program to turn On and Off load monitoring? VLMON[1]=3 (turns on for X&Z for part1) VLMON[1]=0 (turns Off part 1 load monitoring) You may also need to add the M216 to your program to ignore rapid moves in monitoring. See the load monitoring section in your manual for axis codes.

Tips: -Do not use for spindle monitoring when G96 is active.
    -Do not use for extremely low loads. It requires at least a % or two -preferably at least 5% load change to avoid false triggering.
    -Upper turret cutoff can be difficult due to slant bed and static load level. It actually decreases load as it lowers the turret for cutoff and the weight of the turret does the cutoff. Sometimes monitoring Z can help because if the insert corner chips, it causes Z load to increase as the cutoff pushes to the side.
    -Tiny drills do not require much load and break in a fraction of a second so they are not suitable for monitoring. Large drills work great.
    -Sometimes the load monitoring immune time may be longer than the cut time (such as in a threading pass) so watch the Load Trace to see if you are getting a long enough cut duration for monitoring to occur. Peck grooving, peck drilling, threading may all have very short (less than .4 second) duration.
    -Use for pretty much everything else.

Best regards,