A couple of months back I purchased the Precision Mathews PM-25MV (see image links below). The goal was to convert it to CNC so I could do my own rapid prototyping. I looked around for conversion kits, but nobody had any in stock and it would be a while before anyone could make one. After a quick search on McMaster to estimate how much the aluminum stock would cost, I decided to save both time and money and make my own kit. How hard could it really be?

I started by completely disassembling my PM-25MV and measuring everything with my vernier calipers (they were passed down to me from my dad and I've been too sentimental to buy digital calipers). After I put the machine back together I moved onto the next step, making a CAD model. Big mistake! Turns out not all my measurements matched up, including under the saddle (or was it my bad hand writing?). I had to completely disassemble the machine a second time to verify a few measurements.

After I had designed my own kit using my CAD model, it was time to make chips. MANY hours later, all the parts were machined and everything was ready for the CNC conversion. I disassembled the machine for the third time and rebuilt it using my new parts. The X and Y axis conversion went smoothly. I only had the Z axis left to do... and one of my parts wouldn't fit! There was a mistake in my design! The only way to fix it was to completely disassemble the machine, rebuild the machine back to its manual configuration, and remake one of the parts for the Z axis conversion. At this point I could completely break down and rebuild a PM-25MV in my sleep, including tramming the head!

After correcting my design flaw, I disassembled the machine for the 5th time, removed all the lead screws, and replaced them with my new ball screws and CNC conversion parts. This time everything worked perfectly.

Here's the image link to the machined parts for the first conversion kit I made:

Original Conversion Kit

I was quite pleased with my conversion, especially considering all parts were made manually. However, I didn't like the way the stepper motors protruded out almost 8 inches. I also didn't like the way the couplers and bearings were exposed to chips and cutting fluids, especially if I were to upgrade to flood coolant in the future. I decided to go the extra mile and redesign my conversion kit in Fusion 360. This would allow for a much more compact design. At this point in the project I also finally caved in and bought digital calipers.

After disassembling my machine for the 6th time and rebuilding it with the newer parts, I finally had the CNC conversion kit I wanted (and had been dreaming about). I had also put 200+ hours into the project and had spent more money than the cost of a ready-to-go, bolt-on conversion kit. What an adventure!

So, if you're thinking about doing your own CNC conversion, I have some advice to share:
1. Don't do it if you think you'll be saving time or money.
2. When creating the CAD model, don't rebuild your machine until you've measured everything at least twice and drawn the entire model.
3. Get digital calipers if you don't own them already. It's cool using the vernier calipers my dad used and handed down to me, but he got it in the days of valve radios, back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth. I'm starting to see why the world went digital.
4. Don't be surprised if you start having dreams about rebuilding your machine and making conversion kits in your sleep.

Here's image links to my current CNC conversion:

PM-25MV with Conversion Kit
X and Y Axis
Machined Parts

I'm also happy to answer any questions you might have about converting the PM-25MV to CNC. I also made a couple extra sets of parts while making my own kit if you would like a bolt-on ready kit.

Now I need to decide what adventure I want next... spindle speed upgrade, flood coolant, or maybe power drawbar and ATC? Any suggestions?

Happy machining!