586,301 active members*
4,230 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New

New

I've done quite a bit of research on machines, and I'm having some trouble finding what I'm looking for. I need to engrave text, simple logos, and borders on stainless (316) at a minimum depth of 0.004". I also need a marking area of 6"x6", a tad less is fine, like 5.5"x5.5". I'm having issues finding information about the depth. I'm also looking into other types of machines, like dot peen, but I like the idea of laser because of some different things you can do with it, namely polishing.

From what I've found, I think I need to be looking at 30w fiber Laser machines. Will these provide the depth I'm looking for? Another feature, that I've seen videos of, is the laser being set to heat the stainless to a point where it will change color to blue. Would this be possible with fiber Laser?

Just looking for some guidance, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: New

Take a look at this thread - link
    It has the answers to most of your questions. The depth of engraving would depend on multiple factors such as the lens, source power, machine setting, number of passes, etc.
    If you what to have a good control over the oxidation (colors) of the SS you need a MOPA laser - link
    Many brands offer these type of lasers.