586,036 active members*
3,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Probe and toolsetter suggestions?

I am considering adding a probe and a tool setter to a Fadal with the
    Fanuc 18i control. I don't know much about probes or tool setters.
    Can you guys offer any suggestions? Is there any brand that is better suited
    to the control I am useing?

Thanks!

More probe tool setter questions...

Also, how much should I expect to have to shell out for a probe? A tool setter?

By the way I do NOT need submicron accuracy... any thing in the 0.0001 or 0.0002" would probably work....

I am not sure what your budget is. But I have been using Renishaw's TS27R touch probe with great results. I have two, one in a Kitamura and one in a Mazak and I am getting another one for a new Kitamura we just installed. The new one is wireless as the machine is a vertical with two pallets.

I also have the NC1 (lase type) in a Kytamura horizontal, excellent too but it will not compensate for diameter.

Cost for the TS27 is 8-10k approx.

J

If you want a very high precision 3 axis probe look at the Heidenhain KT130.
    about $750 last time I checked.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Why would a probe be $750 and the tool setter be 8-10K??

Renishaw is very high priced to begin with, also you are paying for features like infra red/wire-less transmission, and you are getting the probe routines, which you would have to write yourself, with a self-engineered system.
    Al.

Albert E.

infra red??

I started a query in the electronics section regarding the infra red thing...

Readers are only $15, don't know about sending...

Here is a thought: Use a cheap (or expensive i.e <$100) electronic edge
    finder with the red led's, and use a sensor to detect the LED's....

The same concept could be used for the tool setting thing...

Any thoughts? i.e. how to detect if the led is on or not?

This just seems like 8-10K is a Smoking Crack price and someone should
    do something about it....

Al,

Is that Heidenhain just simply a touch probe? Or is it a system with macros and such?

I've used Reinishaw NC1 Laser for tool setting, and it will pick up diameter depending on the macros you are running, it will even sheck form tools from what I remember.

I have a haas, and I bought the probing option tc27 and touch probe, and all the macros was $4995 with the machine. Smoking deal from what I can see here. I think the NC1 that I was using was about $8000 canadian. With out installation. we had a bit of troubleshooting to do with it, as the Renishaw macros weren't 100% out of the box compatible with the Matsuura and Fanuc 16i

Any questions you can PM me.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

The heidenhain does not include macros, if you have the Renishaw, they should be adaptable, otherwise it is write your own.
    Al.

Albert E.

With this heidenhain, does it have a receiver, or a cable that lets the machine know that there has been a trigger, or is it simply an audible signal for the operator to hit origin?

Nikken probes worked this way for the Matsuura's that I ran until we got the renishaw systems. I can't believe that there would be $7000 difference between 2 very similar products. Just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples here.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

There is no way the comparison here is apples to apples. I'd suggest more like apples to prunes.

I can get a "probe" for 75.00 dollars and a "touch setter" for another 75.00 But it's hardly a deal.

I would suggest there is a good reason that renishaw is very popular despite the seemingly high price.

I find the renishaw probes as well as the anvil, plunger and laser touch setters very reliable, robust and accurate. They are proven, well supported and work every day.

If you can't afford them you probably don't need them. If you can afford them the only real competition is likely as expensive.

Choose otherwise at your own risk.

Mike

Funny that I found this thread.

I work for a research company and we are about to install a BLUM TC50 onto a test machine as well as a Renishaw later. The BLUM model is roughly $9K, I will try to get you more information about the performance later.

Well, not to make anyone ill, but for 9 dollars I got a Blum p87 off of ebay and I was wondering if any of you gentleman can tell me how to hook this baby up?

I have the head and cable and there is no information on the Blum site on how this beast gets hooked up.

I do not have any software for it but I can write macros if I have to.

I guess what I really need is the wiring info, so I can start messing with it.

You may still need the control box that gets mounted inside the machines electrical panel by all the drives and such. That could be why it's soo cheap.

Blum Stuff and Happy New Year.

Well, I found another auction on ebay and it would seem that what I am missing is the air pressure regulator and solenoid. Which is not a big deal.

Wiring info is what I lack at this point.

Happy new year everyone, I wish y'all much success.

I feel like the growth of small shop CNC is what is going to change our economy for the better. In just the last year so much more information and products have become available, it's amazing.

Dan

I still think that you may require a control box of some sort. That is with my experince installing a renishaw probe. May be different with Blum.

Good luck.