586,111 active members*
3,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > What is this board? MC433 4 Axis Stepper 10A
Page 1 of 2 12

What is this board? MC433 4 Axis Stepper 10A

I see this board on ebay when I do a stepper controller search.
    The header says " MC433 4 Axis Stepper Controller 10A PWM"

Anyone have any knowledge of this board?

Thanks
    zippys

I bought one. It will control 4 steppers independently, plus has all the other availabie I/O lines running through it - the output lines should have enough juice to power a 120V relay if you want to turn off/on a spindle, router, coolant, etc. Also, the onboard chips have limit/e-stop capabiltiy built in. This can be a problem if you want your control software to handle these events, but does allow you to free up some input lines if letting the board handle the events is acceptible. Only downside is that there is only 1 global current pulse width adjustment, so all your motors must be identical (or have identical current requirements), which, is often the case.

If you need any more info on it, there's a comprehensive downloadable datasheet link right on the auction page. Good value in my opinion, but I would like to see independent current control for each motor, and a built in relay or two.

If you want any more info, just ask!

- Shawn

Unhappy Technical Problems

I have recently purchased one of these boards the MC433G and im currently having no joy, and finding it hard to get any response from them..

feeling really sad about this at the moment as i have all my kit and im ready to get started pretty much, just waiting on the nema23 mounts for my mill...

The specs look good, but I too had problems with these folks. I did try to contact them personally when I first saw the specs at work and wanted a board for myself, but my work also tried with no success several times - and they were looking to incorporate them as OEM boards in production quantities.

Not even THAT would elicit a callback from the sales staff. That scares me.

I have nothing but dodgy feelings about these guys regardless of how good the specs look. I can't imagine after-sale support is any good if they won't even contact you to buy them in the first place.

The only sales point for these things seems to be EBAY and that only counts for a couple a month. That obviously isn't a sound business model, and I have a sneaking suspicion these boards are still in kind of a Beta/Prototype kind of development stage, and not quite ready for prime time.
    I don't know that for sure of course, but its not like they are talking to anybody to clear things up.

Unhappy

Yes i have a feeling this is a prototype as well and not ready for public consumption. its 4:50am here ive stayed up because it is bugging the hell out of me, i payed the extra money for the G version because im a computer programer and the ability to be able to choose lpt or rs232 control suited me as interfacing from my own code via rs232 would be easy... Ive been trying to get a response from them for the last few days but no joy... When it first arrived i went to the site and im sure the M433G technical manual was not there because i had to get the M433 version which didnt have all the info i needed ive been there in the night trying to find another way to contact them and spotted the M433G pdf doc this time, ive done what it says and im getting nothing at all just two lights on constant and the third just flashes all the time, thats all it does the data sheet dated july 28th 2006 talks of the relay daughter boards becoming available in august of 2006 when i purchased this board they where talking to me before i payed for it, and when i purchased i purchased the G version and they said the daughter board would be available in a week and would be available in serveral amp ratings, i also told them which stepper motors i would be using NEMA23 type KL23H276-30-8B running im running from a 14.6amp 24v dc power supply its a bipolar stepper but can be wired unipolar which is given in the spec sheet i have wired the stepper unipolar, its easy to wire a bipolar stepper for unipolar, ive sat and messed about with this dame thing for a few days and feel really let down ripped off to be honest, i need a four axis controler as im wishing to modify a sieg x2 which ive purchased and ive a sieg rotary table as the 4th axis... i plan to use MACH3... can anyone advise on another 4 axis controler that is known to work.. I think im going to look into getting my money back i payed with paypal using my creditcard i think... This is really not good.. grrrr i so p*ssed off i think its time i went to bed very tired.. owe yes not sure if i mentioned it i sat and did a video on youtube to show them what is happening and not happening etc, im yet to get any response from them for support...

the video links are:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d0GFCKCjUs <<< part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FqT-GeEuWU <<< part 2

i have posted a picture of how i have it wired here...
    http://www.teamrobotics.co.uk/4X-KL2...0-8B_Setup.jpg

Thank you for reading this post.. If anyone can help me please contact me as im going out of my mind about this right now...

Regards
    Richard

Richard,

As far as I can tell, your motor is hooked up properly (I'm using the same motors) If the current control POTs are not set right, you could easily blow the fuse.

Otherwise, I think your problem is due to the parallel port. To rule it out, disconnect the lpt cable and then manually ground the board's X-STEP pin several times. This should cause the motor to step several times. It will make a very noticeable sound with each step. (you won't miss it)

Feel free to PM me if you need help.

Hi there, in the end i called them up yesterday, he was really helpful i was suprised. I think he gets overwelmed with emails and the technical manual is out dated on his site, they seem to be really good but trying to do to much on there own i think.. the first issue was the baud rate listed in the data was incorrect for my board it had been upped from 36,800 to 115,200 changing that got a version status response etc on power up of the board i thought great we are good to go, i new i had to type "cm" to switch control to listen mode so i could use the test program which commands the board from the lpt, did this nothing happened and it should have so he sat adn went over everything with me, we had a great chat and got quiet technical on several things, we switched the jumper for the two serial types rs232/rs5 ?? that was switching over he asked me to check my serial lead i explained i had tried two different leads, it had us stumped we then went down to schematic level and went over several things.. we came to the conclusion the rs232 tx was not reaching the board it was listening for rs232 commands but not getting them, power was disconnected to the board, then the underside of the board inspected in the area we new the problem was, and there it was a very fine flash of solder im guessing but it looked like a little blob of white, i carefully removed this with my dentist tool and repowered the board and everything was working fine the board was all up and running, i started to then setup the three pots i found this a bit tricky as im new to steppers, i got it stepping with the test program, i took the dutie cycle up abit and blew my fuse which was only 3amps not big enough really for the stepper, I then made a bad move the only fuse i had to hand was i thought (5amp which would have been fine) but because i was so tired from the last few days of staying up trying to get this working it had infact been a 25amp fuse.. the board shows as 33amp in the spec, I think that his drawing should be changed specifying a seperate fuse for each stepper and not one fuse to cover all four, because if all steppers where running you would expect to pull to many amps and blow the fuse, and for one stepper if something goes wrong the fuse will not blow until its to late... Unfortunately im messed up after having replaced the fuse, i continued to set things up i find the stepper would step ok but as i brought the step rate up it was not quiet right, it would be stepping the stutter a little on a step, i bring down the stepper speed adjust further, and slowly got the stepper rate up further and smooth, But then disaster the stepper stalled on a step, it all happened very quickly, i looked at my screen the app was still active i hit q to stop all pulses to the stepper, because i was so tired i didnt think clearly at this point the mosfet started to smoke, instead of going for the h-bridge supply ie 24v i went and pulled the 9v for the logic and my computer leads, the mosfet ignited now in a panic thought owe sh*t the 24v pulled it as the mosfet ignited i blew the mosfet out... was really stressed at this point and switched everything off and went to bed could not cope with what i had just seen...

I know mosfets are not forgiving, ive gotten up today plugged in just the logic of the board and thats all working fine, i need to remove the blown mosfet and order a suitable replacement and some spares i think... need to carefully test the other mosfets for that axis, and to test the stepper motor as im wondering if it will have been destroyed or damaged, as im guessing when it stalled a lot of current will have been pulled on that winding... maybe i should stick to computer programing so hopefully things will be ok, to test the stepper i guess i take one of my other steppers and compare the impedance ohm on the windings compared to this stepper involved in this disaster fingers crossed its ok, i need to find out what part numbers these mosfets are and where to source them, or maybe contact SOC electronics to purchase from him...

I think we should give these guys a chance, they seem very helpful. Its just email does not work with these guys calling them is the best way for quick results..

regards
    Richard

p.s it would be nice to see the board redesigned with onboard fuse holders with a fuse per stepper motor etc.. and four leds etc to bring your attention of a blown fuse....

I have tried calling in the past with no luck, but after reading about your experience I will have to try them again. Their stuff looks like it has potential - well thought out and well-documented, but somewhat underdeveloped still. I'd like to play with one of their units sometime.

This board is well priced but has several limitations:

1. It does not do microstepping. Many steppers will suffer from resonance (severe vibration and possible stalling at low speeds)

2. Can the board really handle 10 amps without overheating? The heat sinking and copper traces looks insufficient.

3. Unipolar.

Unhappy mc433

Purchased one a few months back, all responses, to issues failed to resolve issues, never resolved, board not usable would not stabilize and missed steps, at all settings in all speed ranges, it did not work for me, and SOC will not return any of my emails anymore steve kept promising some magic firmware upgrade, but it's never appeared, anyway I use other controls now, and the mc433 board is now in a cardboard box with all my other scrap electronics I salvage for parts from time to time.

sorry to hear that Mac, did your board fail or is it still complete with working mosfets ? is it a MC433 or MC433G.. im just keeping my fingers crossed that things work out, ive found that the impedence on this stepper motor is different on the channel which keeps blowing mosfets, the other three steppers have the same impedance on each coil but this once differs on the blue its impedance is lower im wondering if this could be the issue ? the board seems to run with the other steppers, but ive noticed the heat disipation on this board is not suitable, Please can you guys advise on a 4 axis controller that can be used with MACH3 which avoids these problems, do you have to set pots up on all the controllers out there ? or is there something more straight forward...

thank you
    regards
    Richard
    im really looking forward to receiving my convertion kit hopefully later this week to allow me to get mounting the steppers to my mill.. but i need to resolve these issues first... thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by quadrant2005 View Post
    Please can you guys advise on a 4 axis controller that can be used with MACH3 which avoids these problems, do you have to set pots up on all the controllers out there ? or is there something more straight forward...
    www.hobbycnc.com
    www.xylotex.com

The only pots that need to be set on these is to set the motor current. You just adjust the pot until you're meter reads a certain voltage. Quite simple, really.

Another higher power option is currently being developed by a member here. Supposed to be avialable in a month or two.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33756
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by quadrant2005 View Post
    sorry to hear that Mac, did your board fail or is it still complete with working mosfets ? is it a MC433 or MC433G.. im just keeping my fingers crossed that things work out, ive found that the impedence on this stepper motor is different on the channel which keeps blowing mosfets, the other three steppers have the same impedance on each coil but this once differs on the blue its impedance is lower im wondering if this could be the issue ? the board seems to run with the other steppers, but ive noticed the heat disipation on this board is not suitable, Please can you guys advise on a 4 axis controller that can be used with MACH3 which avoids these problems, do you have to set pots up on all the controllers out there ? or is there something more straight forward...

thank you
    regards
    Richard
    im really looking forward to receiving my convertion kit hopefully later this week to allow me to get mounting the steppers to my mill.. but i need to resolve these issues first... thanks...
    the controller was a mc433 4 axis, , but as I said, I could not get it to work properly, with any settings and I tried everything, different motors, power supplies and computers, repeatability tests with no load were bad, very bad, using this controller on a machine would have resulted in disaster, I have a Xylotex 4x now and it works perfect.

Thanks for that Mac, is the Xylotex 4x sold only as a kit or is it possible to purchase it constructed.

Thanks
    Regards
    Richard

I have found that i have to use the following settings to get the stepper to move ok, sitting with the lpt port etc towards me the furthest right ive got fully anti-clockwise the middle pot ive got two clicks from fully anti-clockwise and i have the one to left of center set at three clicks from fully anti-clockwise ive only gone upto approx 35 steps a sec 5rpm ??? or something like you say i think this board may have issues the big one being the heat of the mosfets as its only using the circuit board for cooling. This board is fitted with IRL530S Mosfets i believe there spec is 15Amps a peice but there is no way you could run them at that or even the 10amps it says the board can run at because it would cook its self...

Thanks Mac and thanks guys for your help and your input, i think im going to look into the Xylotex 4x

Can i ask you guys a question ive not messed about with mosfets at all in the past, but i can program pics processors, but my area is computer programer really pic programing is quiet new to me but they seem straight forward... The code required to run the stepper pulses would be straight forward, I fancy maybe having a go at putting something together using something like IRF540N they are rated at 33amps a peice i would want to mount them on a heatsink none of this soldered down on the board rubbish thats no good
    for heat disipation, ive also noticed i dont think the mc433 board has opto coupling thats not good news for the computer port if things go wrong, That would be something i would want to incorporate... along with
    in4002 diodes etc.. and activity led's... the only thing i need to know
    is the correct way to use mosfets do i switch the gate on with approx 2.1v
    and feed the drain to a terminal for attaching the stepper winding.. and
    feed the source to ground.. Im used to controlling things from the serial
    port and centronics lpt port just new to mosfets, is a capacitor required
    etc to stop leakage across the mosfet etc.. thanks regards Richard...

Did anyone have any success with this board lately?

Quote Originally Posted by hybidder View Post
    Did anyone have any success with this board lately?
    hi there bud from my personal experience the best place for one of these boards is the bin, this board can not be trusted...

Thanks Quad,

I was hoping they might have pulled their act together since it looked like an inexpensive upgrade for my late 80's drivers and would allow me to run Mach3. My current control head/ software only allows 150 lines of code but at least it works reliably.

Sorry I'm of no help on your technical questions above since I'm fairly new to all this.

your very welcome, yes its a shame the board looks promising but there is a few big issues with this board. Im hearing good things about the Xylotex Controller and has been recommended by a few friends, regards Richard

Wow, this explains why these boards can be had off eBay for so cheap. I was wondering what the catch is!

Cheers, Cephjedi

Quote Originally Posted by cephjedi View Post
    Wow, this explains why these boards can be had off eBay for so cheap. I was wondering what the catch is!

Cheers, Cephjedi
    Hi there, yes i would not waste your money as you will end up just throwing the board to one side after wasting time...

I would go for the Xylotex 4 Axis board ive switched to one of these no messing no headaches ready to run with no problems...

regards
    Richard

ive been posting lots of videos on youtube for anyone interested under the username quadrant2005

Page 1 of 2 12