586,058 active members*
4,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > What is your current CNC Postion?

View Poll Results: What is your current CNC Position?

Voters
333. You may not vote on this poll
  • I work in a machine shop.

129 38.74%
  • I have a daytime job, cnc is for fun.

87 26.13%
  • 1 or 2 man shop just starting out.

15 4.50%
  • Work fulltime job, cnc is a small job on the side as well.

49 14.71%
  • None of the above.

53 15.92%
Page 1 of 2 12

What is your current CNC Postion?

What is your current CNC Position?

I used to be self employed, i uprooted completely and moved from South Africa to New Zealand about a year ago. I miss running my wire edm a lot! I miss the jobbing enviroment. I am currently working for a state owned research company. All the red tape is so FRUSTRATING that i can have a heart attack and a stroke at the same time!!!!
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I'm a violin maker and still have to keep the daytime job is science to pay the bills. If I make and sell one ot 2 instruments a year and use the CNC to make part of them I assume i qualify as "Work fulltime job, cnc is a small job on the side as well."
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

I do Single Point Diamond Machining with mine. I also have a CNC'd Turret Mill that I can mess about with, but am still learning this one.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

We do ultrasound R&D and manufacture studio microphones. We have a small model shop and are getting a Haas Mini Mill to make some of our parts.

http://microphonium.blogspot.com

I am a full time CNC Programmer and Opperater at a large furniture company. I also do a little side work with my own CNC at home.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am a full time Chip sweeper and cnc lathe operator.i make parts for motorcycles

Sales and operation

Taking the chance in the poll, We're a CNC shop located East Mexico City, Mexico (the country) with a recently increased capacity due to our ISO 9000 Certification and working on expansion.

I drop this into here to get attention driven towards South Texas in the USA and any other regions around there or the border line or anywhere.

Sure we can quote any job and prototype it if model requires it and beat any other budget, specially those ones coming from CA. Precision acquired within 1000/in "No problema", Coordinates Measuring Machine available and measurements lab.

See our facilities on: http://www.maquinado-prod.com.mx or contact me directly on [email protected]
    will soon available in English and Deutch.

once was self employeed even though it was my most enjoyable position , i
    later realized beer guzzling for a living wasn t leaving much room for advancement and it didn t pay enough, the return on the daily empties deposits by far could not keep up to my companies consumption and expendatures and literally drained the company funds ,
    so now i m a slave to the man and the bank

HI All,
    I had a problem voting in this poll, cos I work in a machine shop and it's fun. Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?
    Cheers
    Mick

:cheers: :cheers: Well i'm sure alot of guys have fun. If they come to CNC Zone after work hours, it must obviously be somewhat fun to them right

I have a tool, furniture, casework & soon-to-be woodworkers supply shop that has been working without a cnc. Now I've got one ready to crank up and really don't know what I'm going to do with it...got lot's of ideas though. Right now I had to go to my "real" ole ex job to re-qualify for insurance. Got to put in 300 hours a year to keep up insurance and retirement benefits. Otherwise it's tough being self employed. If you have a family, health insurance is quite a hurdle. I'm too scared to go without it. Can't wait to get back and "jog" my mill around a bit.
    --Rick

Hey guys, I run a small production shop for plastics and prototypes. It's been a lucrative sideline for the last couple of years, but since I cnc'ed the mill, it's been nearly a full time job, plus I still have a full time job.

I'm a small sucess story when talking about poeple who has tuned their hobbies into money making venttures...

It was supposed to be a hobby.

One to Two man shop just starting out.

This whole adventure started with a broken tap in an almost finished motorcycle part. Years down the road in the progression of events led to my opening up a checking account for my new venture, GWA Machine, this past Friday. The shop will machine prototypes and small runs. Hope to be LLC by end of May. My area is part of the rust belt. Companies were aquired, stripped of assets, people were tossed to the streets, and many of the skilled moved to greener pastures or changed careers. Now the companies that are left have very few options for the small odds and ends. This cuts drastically into their research and developement. Word of mouth that there was a guy with a CNC mill just playing round with it, got out and I was approached and asked if I'd do some work. That is the extremely short verson of events.

Now if I can get rid of my manual machining way of thinking, I may just become competitive. It was humbling finding out my first job could have been done in 1/8 the time, had I not approached my machines capabilities in a manual machine mindset. Never too old to learn and CNC has really allowed me to work around my disability. Are there any good books out there on gaining the most out of CNC, like different approaches for jobs? All the books I've seen (and own) so far are the basics of cartesian coords, Trig, Gcode and Mcode. Where are the advanced books, or is what I want to know only taught in the Hard Knocks School? I am lucky in that another Vender has taken a shine to me and is acting as a mentor.

I'm a service Engineer in Fanuc Italy.

Bye Andrea

I am the CNC Department manager for a medium/large Mfg company in short i do a little of everything allot of somethings and a whole lot of nothing MAN i love my job i think i need a raise
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I am a full time CNC Programmer and Opperater at a new art furniture company in Egypt
    CNC programmer( Morbidelli Author 500 machine) at “New art furniture co.“ ,Alexandria, Egypt

I was doing programming/set-up/operating/training for a medium size manufacturer/custom shop. The demands kept growing more rapidly than the pay. Near the end I was responsible for 3 machines. Single-handed much of the time. The final straw was the bean-counting department complaining that I was estimating the labor costs. What the #$%#$ did they expect?

Although this comes across as a whining rant it has a happy ending. I left the trade and couldn't be more content. Talking to people who are still at it convinces me that I made the right choice, For those who have found decent employers in this trade, I'm happy for you. After 3 tries and many wasted years I surrendered.

The cnc bug has bitten again and I'm currently in the process of converting an X2. Hope to use this portable machine to meet others who machine for the simple joy of cutting.

I punched "none of the above". My position is sitting on my A** in front of this 'puter. Actually, I'm a "retired" ME, retired "consultant" semi-employed machine/machine accessory design engineer who only applies himself to projects of people I choose to work with. I am an official "curmudgeon", older than older than dirt AM. Oh yeah, I,m also a journeyman machinist.
    DZASTR

Hi!
    I have the small enterprise on fur dressing,dyeing and sewing and a small mechanical workshop on manufacturing the non-standard equipment. Now I project and build a workshop on plasma cutter of a metal leaf.

Page 1 of 2 12