586,075 active members*
4,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Mold conversion from solid model

Mold conversion from solid model

I am new to mold making. I am running turbocad pro and I have created several solid parts. My question is "is there a reasonable software package to convert my 3d model into a mold? I saw mold plus but I assume it is expensive. I have thought of just using the 3D turbocad model tools and subtracting the solid from another block solid, but I will have to do the parting and figure out depth and such. These are for compression molds of a graphite plate with a pattern on each side.

Thanks,
    Bob

RCD,

Are you just looking to extract your solid from another solid, make a cavity, and split them? Or are you trying to do a complete mold design with all of the auxilliary stuff? Most solid modellers have some sort of cavity splitting features but you still need to know what you want. We use SolidWorks and for more complicated full 3D molds we use MoldWorks & SplitWorks
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

I have started a small company to make fuel cells and I need to make some molds out of Aluminum for the prototypes. I plan an adding draft, extraction pins, and minor venting in the cavity but not get too complex. Turbocad has come a long way but I don't believe it has cavity splitting, just split along workplane. I will have to do the other mods manually and I will be machining it in my garage on my Rong Fu mill. We may be able to step up to solidworks after we raise some money but for now... Any suggestions would be great. There doesn't seem to be much information on compression molding.

Thanks
    Bob

RCD,
    Since mold design is what we do, I would be remiss if I didnt make the offer. If you would like to send me your 3D solid file (parasolid or step format) I would be happy to get you a price for just splitting your mold data and adding any shear edge or mash-off. I could also see how much to add draft and whatever else you need. You won't really need 3D data to put in your ejector pins etc...
    Doug Pryor
    David Wolfe Design, Inc.
    Akron, OH
    www.davidwolfedesign.com
    [email protected]

Cad files

Thank you. I will send the files. I would appreciate the quote and any comments you have.

Bob

Cool Mould design..

Hello,

We make rotational mould tools. Ive spent alot of time looking for software that creates the core/ cavity and split line.

I cant find a software package on the market that does this automatically for you. Im afraid your gonna have to get in there and do some drawing! Im using open minds 'hypercad/hypermill' and after a bit of practice can put a split line on to a product, boolean the solid from another to create the cavity and then just trim all the surfaces together. simple. but you DO have to get in there and do the split line yourself, whatever program your using..

DC

Email me your solid moldel and specification.It's free!

Hi,Bob

Email me your solid moldel and specification.It is a piece of cake!I will do it for you.It's free! Or go here download the software you like. Cavity or core splitting is very easy with UG.

Ba yonggen
    [email protected]
    www.moldmakingforum.com