586,104 active members*
3,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

E-Stop buttons

Looking on Amazon and Ebay there seems to be a wide variety of E-Stops. Whats the difference and are the cheep ones worth getting vs the high priced ones?

bgasser
    Kansas City

Re: E-Stop buttons

It would help to know exactly which ones you are comparing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Are you just talking the buttons?
    If so there are two styles, Momentary and push-on Twist Off.
    There are Telemecanique style (my favorite) on ebay from China, they must be knock-offs for the price.
    One thing that also distinguishes an E-stop button is the mandatory yellow background or circular label, this is to conform to NEC/CEC NFPA79 etc.
    Al..
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The Siemens is a quality brand, where the other two are chinese knockoffs.

I buy mine from Automation Direct, where the prices are in the middle range of these, and you can easily get spare parts and additional components.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here are two on Ebay, one the same as the Amazon.172129141266
    This one is the relabled Telemecanique., the ones I use. 172678082076
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by bgasser View Post
    Here are some from Amazon:
    Price varies a lot.
    As Gerry said, the first two are cheap Chinese buttons. They look too flimsy to me, I personally prefer the ones with a metal base:

The Siemens button looks nice and includes the yellow background required by the standard, but its price is hardly justified for a hobby machine.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    , I personally prefer the ones with a metal base:

That is the Telemecanique/Group Schneider version I use their whole series of P.B. and 2-3 posn. switches. They are nice because you can configure the switch as you please and also stack them off the back.
    But you don't want to know the original Telemecanique price for them!
    Al.

Albert E.

In the 22mm hole category Telemacanigue and Allen Bradley make very good and rugged E-Stops. In the large hole group I'd only consider Allen Bradley. Not that there are a number of good E-stops in the sub 22 mm hole size there are a number of good E-Stops from the various Japanese industrial suppliers. FujiElectric for example has a nice 16 mm series.

Many of the cheap E-stops don't hold up well to a panic hit. Even the older Seimens E-Stops would die when hit by a little old lady. There are a very large number of cheap E-stops on the market that are not worth bothering with in my mind.

For me it is a toss up between the Telemacanique and Allen Bradley 22 mm series. These have proven to be reliable. The nice thing with the 22 mm series is if you have tools to work with 1/2" conduit you are all set.

Thanks a lot for the help. An additional question regarding e-stop buttons, how many should be installed on a 50x72 inch machine. My gut tells me 4, one on each corner plus possibly one near the computer. Is this overkill?

bgasser
    Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by bgasser View Post
    Thanks a lot for the help. An additional question regarding e-stop buttons, how many should be installed on a 50x72 inch machine. My gut tells me 4, one on each corner plus possibly one near the computer.
    Is this overkill?
    This is hard to answer but if the machine is open with no guarding it might not be enough. I'd would like to see E-stops on the gantry if this is a moving gantry machine. The gantry presents the biggest risk to an operator. E-Stops at the corners are probably more useful for killing the machine if it is about to crash or is crashing. One solution might be E-Stops on the gantry and one at the operators console.

I might add that a lot of places would not even allow an open machine capable of automatic operation on the plant floor. Guarding around the entire machine would be required and that includes interlocked doors. There are a lot of variables here but if you are in the USA you really need to consider OSHA regs. Ultimately if something happens and you are not compliant with the rules you can be in bad shape legally if someone gets hurt.

bgasser
    Kansas City

You probably can't get enough E-stops, but one at any strategic points within the reach of the operator is usually required.
    I picked up one of the Telemecanique out of China and they are pretty spot on down to the CE markings and part numbers etc. not sure how they get away with it,
    Al.

Albert E.