586,114 active members*
3,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Runing out of pins?

I am currently connecting up my homing/limit switches but running out of pins.

Would this setup be OK?

Pin 10 Limits and E-stop
    Pin 11 X homing/limit
    Pin 12 A homing/limit(slaved with X)
    Pin 13 Y homing/limit
    Pin 14 Solid State Relay for router

At present I cant afford a breakout board.

Hi Bigz1,

Taken from the Turbocnc manual (hope this is ok).

On the parallel port, pins 2-9 are always available for output, which allows at least 4 axes of motion to be controlled. Pins 1,14,16, and 17 can be output also, to control spindles, coolant pumps, and tool changers.
    The parallel port inputs are on pins 10,11,12,13, and 15. These are TTL level signals as well. Typical uses for these are spindle encoders, limit switches, and extra logic for detecting when you’ve run out of stock.

Pins 18-25 are ground. Use some of these to shield your cables.

Hope it helps,

John

On pins 1,14,16 and 17 I am thinking of attaching a terminal block. If I put a pair off 10 K resistors in the terminal at 1 & 14 and 16 & 17, will this be OK? Or do I solder them across the terminal pins under the board?

Quote Originally Posted by bigz1 View Post
    On pins 1,14,16 and 17 I am thinking of attaching a terminal block. If I put a pair off 10 K resistors in the terminal at 1 & 14 and 16 & 17, will this be OK? Or do I solder them across the terminal pins under the board?

Would be interested to know why you are using the resistors but I use terminal blocks and 10k resistors for my home and limit switches.

John

I intend to use 3 off th pins. One for Relay for router the 2ndr for Z Zero plate and the 3rd for a posible tool wear compenstor???(similar to Zero plate but to compensate waer on end mills).

I would use values lower than 10K for the pullups, specifically 1K. If you wind up with false limits or stops then put a 10K across the switches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails limit.png  
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Got the Relay to work for spindle from pulled up pins today. Thanks guys.

Now I want to add a Zero Plate guess I will have to save up for a breakout board if I want inputs?

Now I want to add a Zero Plate guess I will have to save up for a breakout board if I want inputs?
    If you need more than five input pins you will need another PCI parallel port card as well as a simple connect BOB.

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    I would use values lower than 10K for the pullups, specifically 1K. If you wind up with false limits or stops then put a 10K across the switches.
    I got the info for the 10K resistors from some where not sure now but it could have been from Xylotex.

In simple terms why would you recommend 1K resistors over 10K and will the 10K course problems? I’ve used them now for about two years without any problems that I know of.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    If you need more than five input pins you will need another PCI parallel port card as well as a simple connect BOB.

I got the info for the 10K resistors from some where not sure now but it could have been from Xylotex.

In simple terms why would you recommend 1K resistors over 10K and will the 10K course problems? I’ve used them now for about two years without any problems that I know of.

John
    Little known detail: micro-switches have a maximum specification for current and a minimum current specification too.

The switches are specified for number of cycles during their lifetime at a specified test switching current. The contact wear consists of mechanical wear and electrical wear.

Mechanical wear makes the gap bigger depending the amount of switching cycles, contact material, and contact force during the lifetime of the switch,
    The electrical wear consists of two main mechanisms: arching vaporizing/corroding the contact alloy, and non-conductive contact oxide formation due to environmental conditions. Normal contact arching (within the specified current range) acts as a cleaning mechanism for the oxide layer that develops on the contacts, when that mechanism does not exist due to less than the minimum contact current, the life expectancy decays fast due to false contacts and switching noise.

By using a 1K resistor to VCC you are satisfying the 5 mA minimum current requirement for most of the small signal micro-switches (5- 30 mA @ 30 VDC).

Attaching a small value ceramic capacitor across the switch contacts will help cleaning the contacts by discharging the capacitor when the switch contacts close, and filtering some contact noise due to bouncing.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz View Post
    Little known detail: micro-switches have a maximum specification for current and a minimum current specification too.

The switches are specified for number of cycles during their lifetime at a specified test switching current. The contact wear consists of mechanical wear and electrical wear.

Mechanical wear makes the gap bigger depending the amount of switching cycles, contact material, and contact force during the lifetime of the switch,
    The electrical wear consists of two main mechanisms: arching vaporizing/corroding the contact alloy, and non-conductive contact oxide formation due to environmental conditions. Normal contact arching (within the specified current range) acts as a cleaning mechanism for the oxide layer that develops on the contacts, when that mechanism does not exist due to less than the minimum contact current, the life expectancy decays fast due to false contacts and switching noise.

By using a 1K resistor to VCC you are satisfying the 5 mA minimum current requirement for most of the small signal micro-switches (5- 30 mA @ 30 VDC).
    Hi kreutz,

Thank you for the information and your time it is very much appreciated. It’s nice to have a full understanding which you have provided.

I will change the 10K resisters for 1K as soon as I get the time.

Attaching a small value ceramic capacitor across the switch contacts will help cleaning the contacts by discharging the capacitor when the switch contacts close, and filtering some contact noise due to bouncing.
    On the subject of switches I have noticed a strong spark through a small hole in the switch when I switch the power on to my drives. This does concern me even though the switch is suitably rated. Do you think this will be damaging the switch to the point it could weld the contacts and would a capacitor help here? It’s switching 45Vdc at around 11Amps; the switch is rated 240V and 13Amps.

John

Thanks Kreutz for the info. What size would you suggest on the capacitor?

I tried the limit switches today they work but interfere with the stepper motors. Losing steps making unusal noises. Any advice on correcting this would be appreciated? Debounce setting in MACH is at 8000. Steppers work fine as soon as Homing/Limits are disconected. All wire is shielded and earthed in a star pattern.

Liam

On the subject of switches I have noticed a strong spark through a small hole in the switch when I switch the power on to my drives. This does concern me even though the switch is suitably rated. Do you think this will be damaging the switch to the point it could weld the contacts and would a capacitor help here? It’s switching 45Vdc at around 11Amps; the switch is rated 240V and 13Amps.

John
    Are you talking about the main power supply switch or the limit micro-switches?

Every switch has two different ratings: AC and DC. Check that you are reading DC specs. Can you, please post a diagram of your circuit?

1Kohm to VCC and 0.047 to 0.1 uF/ 50V ceramic capacitor across the limit micro-switches will be ok. Take into account that mechanical vibration will trigger your micro-switches depending on their construction. There are specifically designed micro-switches for limit switch applications. Opto-coupler isolation will help rejecting induced noise.

Thanks Kreutz for the info. What size would you suggest on the capacitor?

I tried the limit switches today they work but interfere with the stepper motors. Losing steps making unusal noises. Any advice on correcting this would be appreciated? Debounce setting in MACH is at 8000. Steppers work fine as soon as Homing/Limits are disconected. All wire is shielded and earthed in a star pattern.

Liam
    Try opto-isolation between the limit switches circuit and your PC parallel port. Please, post a diagram of your circuit configuration.

Are you talking about the main power supply switch or the limit micro-switches?

Every switch has two different ratings: AC and DC. Check that you are reading DC specs. Can you, please post a diagram of your circuit?

I am talking about the switch after the smoothing capacitors on my mains power supply for the stepper drives. I actually have two switches; one to switch power on/off to all drives and another to switch power on/off to my Z axis drive only.Unfortunately I do not have a diagram of my circuit.

I have taken a look at the switch in question and it only has a AC rating which is actually 250Vac and 16Amps not as I quoted earlier.

John

I am talking about the switch after the smoothing capacitors on my mains power supply for the stepper drives. I actually have two switches; one to switch power on/off to all drives and another to switch power on/off to my Z axis drive only.Unfortunately I do not have a diagram of my circuit.

I have taken a look at the switch in question and it only has a AC rating which is actually 250Vac and 16Amps not as I quoted earlier.

John
    John;

You are switching an inductive load under current, so creating a very high voltage between the switch contacts when switching off , the best solution to protect your switch is is using a 165 Volt rated ( clamping ) Varistor like the V100ZA3P. (NEWARK part # = 58K7178) across the contacts. Better yet is not using a switch in that part of the circuit because that voltage transient could still damage your drivers. Where did you get that circuit schematics from?

John;

You are switching an inductive load under current, so creating a very high voltage between the switch contacts when switching off , the best solution to protect your switch is is using a 165 Volt rated ( clamping ) Varistor like the V100ZA3P. (NEWARK part # = 58K7178) across the contacts. Better yet is not using a switch in that part of the circuit because that voltage transient could still damage your drivers. Where did you get that circuit schematics from?
    I didn’t work from a circuit schematics; in my ignorance I just thought it would be ok to add switches there. I will remove the switches before I use the machine again and add one between the mains supply and the transformer.

I have so much to learn and thank goodness I have a teacher like you on hand. There is so much to electronics it makes my head hurt.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge you are indeed a valued member of the cnczone, at least in my opinion and I am sure in many other members also.

John

P.S.

Bigz1 I hope you didn’t mind me butting into your thread it just kinda happened and I did think you were done.

No problem John.

Kretz sorry for the delay in replying. Here is a diagram of the circuit(hope it helps) plus a few photos of the driver box(metal).

LH side of driver box.

Top Row - z,y,a homing connectors

Mid Row - limit, output(spare), output(spare)

bottom - z axis connector

Front of Box l to r - 240VAC mains for driver, 240VAC mains for router, printer cable

RH side of box - socket for router, e-stop, connectors for a,y,z axis connector

Inside -

Homing/limits shielded wires earthed to driver mains(white wire).

Stepper motors shielded wires earthed to router socket earth(white wire).

Could you please explain which opto isolator I would require and how would I connect it? Would I still require the capacitor?

Kreutz thank you for your patience your help is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A.jpg   B.jpg   C.jpg   D.jpg  

E.jpg  

Use normally closed switches to help your noise problem, and reverse the logic on the true state on your software. i.e. hi = limit , hi = home.

http://www.pminmo.com/wiki/index.php...limit_switches

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo View Post
    Use normally closed switches to help your noise problem, and reverse the logic on the true state on your software. i.e. hi = limit , hi = home.

http://www.pminmo.com/wiki/index.php...limit_switches
    Good solution. Here is another way to provide noise immunity by using opto-isolation. Note that the series resistors shown (390 ohm 1/4 Watt) have been calculated for a 5 volts auxiliary power supply.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is another way to provide noise immunity by using opto-isolation. Note that the series resistors shown (390 ohm 1/4 Watt) have been calculated for a 5 volts auxiliary power supply.

Depending on noise source, open outputs of the opto isoltors will not be of any help.

Page 1 of 2 12