586,108 active members*
3,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Bought "NEW" rails & blocks on EBAY .... maybe not NEW

Bought "NEW" rails & blocks on EBAY .... maybe not NEW

My "NEW" HSR25s arrive with engravings (and some even scratched out and rewritten) on the bottom side of trucks in corners. Obviously hand engraved.

Engravings such as C0 and -2 and 762 on 3 of corners of all of them and then each with a unique 15M,27M,30M,38M in the last corner.

I could blissfully hope this is some kind of factory measurement but I have my
    deep doubts.

Looked at ball raceways under a 80 power scope and things look real clean but I'd imagine they could appear that way if they were from a silicon fab or medical enviro. Didn't see any obvious ball scoring. No detectible play in bearings but I doubt I could feel that with just hand applied force.

Well let me get to the M$ question, do known brand new THK's have any kind of hand engravings on the bottom of blocks?

i dont have the parts in front of me, but I do actually think some new THK stuff ive got had hand etched numbers.

i assumed these were batch number of some sort.. in addition, i do think essentally all the linear stuff ive seen from nsk, thk, iko, etc. had some sort of hand etched tracking numbers...

maybe that helps you. probably not.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Quote Originally Posted by NC_jimbo View Post
    Well let me get to the M$ question, do known brand new THK's have any kind of hand engravings on the bottom of blocks?
    They definitely do. They are custom orders for a specific company/application, sometimes they're in matched pairs, preload, etc. Measuring, matching, hand written numbers- normal procedure.

Just like buying matched tubes for your tube amp- they're hand picked and matched.

Ordinary, off the shelf THK blocks and rails are marked GK.

Originally Posted by NC_jimbo View Post
    Al mine do HSR25,HSR15 andHSR27's
    Larry

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I worried too much.