586,082 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Burnt out motor and gecko 201 ???

Was wondering if others use limit switches on the z axis? Had mine hooked up and was playing around with it when it quit. It had bottomed out, so I'm wondering if I burnt out the motor? In the process, I think it burnt out my gecko 201 also. I've got the candcnc system. The fuse to the z axis blows even when I remove the cables to the motor. The power light on the gecko does not come on either. Is there a way to test the motor to see if I burnt it out? What about the gecko 201? Thanks for any help.

1. Stepper motors do not typically "burn out". They don't have enough torque so when they get jammed the just stall. You can test the motor by measuring the resistance from the case to any winding. it should be open. measure the DC coil resistance. It should be close to the same (low ohms) for each side.

2. If the Gecko blows fuses with no motor attached it's a dead soldier. If you got the drive from us send it back and we will get it fixed.

Which of our systems did you get? Was it with motors, with geckos (full packaged system) or a bare bones setup.

It's hard to blow a Gecko from stalling the motor if the current is set right. With that being said we have switched to selling only the 203 drive in stepper packages.

Drop me a line and we can help you get things fixed and running again.

Limits on Z down are real hard to do. When cutting with the THC there is a soft limit if possible down Z excursion.

If you had the floating head in place how did you get it that far down? It will absorb several inches of Z "mistake".

Tom Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I did an ohm check and both windings read the same. I'm pretty sure the gecko's toast. How much for a new one Tom? How much to fix this one?

sorry
    edit

Send me the drive and I'll get it fixed. My concern is how/why it blew to begin with.

Is you system one with the newer Gecko Interface cards? It eliminates the wiring from the Geckos.

Contact me offlist about maybe an upgrade.