586,047 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Surface finish issues on VF3-SS-YT
Page 8 of 8 678
    A ballbar on your machine will catch any issues that you have with your axes. It's one of the best tools you can have to verify what your machine is doing .. the spindle needs a different tool ... an analyzer ... with these two tools you can pretty much find what is causing finish problems ... pretty much

Question

I realise that the ballbar and other components will help identify the problem. My question remains did Haas solved this problem by redisigning the machine or make it stronger,replace motors or etc,etc It was/is an extended y axis machine that seemed a bit overstreched for the work it was supposed to be doing.

Smile

They are always improving on feedback from people like you.

We have a Super Mini Mill 2, a VF6SS and a TM3. The SMM2 does the same thing as the OP described. In corners we get a little ring. We can actually see the machine bounce when making rapid movements. One of our machinists says he has worked with many Haas and all have a problem with the head dropping when doing sharp corners and the work around he learned was two use tools with rounded corners and to not use sharp corners. Both were mentioned above. These helped our machine but we still get these patterns. Drives me crazy that the machine does this.

hi
    i have the same problem om my dyna myte dm4800
    but we have found out that the problem is my z axis boxways is worn in
    the buttom of the travel..
    so the spindel can shake a little ...
    my parts looks just like yours ..
    My machine was struck by lightning 3 weeks ago so it is dead
    i am looking to buy a new and was looking at the haas vf6ss with tr310
    but now i am not sure ...
    has the problem been solved ??

Struck by lightning? Unlucky machine! No, my issue was never solved so I just work around it. Maybe the new machines are better but don't know. I would make sure to see a machine in action and look at the surface finish before you make a decision. Other than this surface finish issue I like the machine and actually bought another.

yes the building was hit .... killed my machine, 4 computers, a server 3 fones and 2 faxes..
    how have you worked around it ?
    i am also looking at a mazak vtc 800 20SR does any of you have experience with this machine ? it is 85.000 eur more expensive .. is it worth it ???

Just can't have any sharp corners in the program. I actuallly haven't had to machine anything in a couple years that made me deal with the issue.

It's no a YT, but I have a VF-2ss that will do this same thing, just to a slightly lesser extent. What I have found is leaving more material on the bottom of a pocket and keeping the feedrate up gives me great finishes, even if there are sharp corners in the toolpath. For example, on the part below, I left .015" on the floor and ran a 1/2" 3 flute at 12k rpm and 85 IPM. That same cut, but with .005" on the floor would've coined in the corners.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG3677.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Himse View Post
    i am looking to buy a new and was looking at the haas vf6ss with tr310
    but now i am not sure ...
    has the problem been solved ??
    Haas machine tools are always improving and making advancements in technology. In the past few years they have upgraded to higher resolution encoders and applied more advanced filter techniques to delivery their best motion control ever. The improvements in surfacing are quite dramatic from machines built just a few years ago. I encourage you to visit your local HFO to see first hand the advancements they have made.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Page 8 of 8 678