586,113 active members*
3,495 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Exhaust Fan Suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm not sure I posted earlier but I've recently purchased and received my chinese blue and white 80W laser with a true EFR tube. I must say it's been great so far!! Only downside was it came with the M2 controller board meaning it can only run tethered to a computer. BUT the awesomly amazing k40 whisperer software means that I don't need to use the rubbish Corel laser or whatever chinese softwawre.

Anyway, reason for posting... The machine comes with a 150mm "computer/server" fan which is no where near sufficient as it just can't get the smoke out fast enough (moves about 220m3/h worth of air). so I'm looking to upgrade.

I've seen the popular "Bouncy castle" type centrifugal blower which runs at a massive 550W and moves 870m3/h worth of air. I will have to get this mounted outside but I'm a bit worried it is a massive overkill and could eventually burn out the motor.

I found this other option, it's an Axial fan that claims to move 530m3/h worth of air and it looks like it can be mounted inside the machine itself as a sort of straight replacement to the server fan in there already. What's even more amazing is it uses only 40W worth of power and is about half the price of the blower.

So this is where I need your suggestions... Is the Axial fan just too good to be true?? Is there something I'm missing?? Should I just play it safe and get the blower???

Just to add, my cutter is against a wall so the ducting has 2 unavoidable 90degree bends and a 180degree "soft" loop before exiting the building

Thanks for the info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018-08-03 11_39_47-150MM Strong Power exhaust fan, new air system fan in 6 inch for kitchen win.jpg   2018-08-03 11_41_35-Cloudray 220V 550W Exhaust Fan Air Blower Centrifugal for CO2 Laser Engravin.jpg  

Re: Exhaust Fan Suggestions

I struggled to get good exhaust through the roughly 15 feet of ducting that I have (2 90deg bends). First tried an inline hydrofarm fan rated for 280 m3/h and that just wasn't doing the job. Next step was the harbor freight 8" portable ventilator and that's working for me. It's rated at 2701 m3/h so probably overkill but I'd rather much more than not enough. It's a bit on the noisy side but mounting isolation should help...that's next on my list. At least it's getting rid of the nasties.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrik8r_K View Post
    I struggled to get good exhaust through the roughly 15 feet of ducting that I have (2 90deg bends). First tried an inline hydrofarm fan rated for 280 m3/h and that just wasn't doing the job. Next step was the harbor freight 8" portable ventilator and that's working for me. It's rated at 2701 m3/h so probably overkill but I'd rather much more than not enough. It's a bit on the noisy side but mounting isolation should help...that's next on my list. At least it's getting rid of the nasties.
    WOW!!! 2701m3/h That's waay overkill! You have a pic of it?

There's 2 speeds so low speed is an option. I don't think it's way overkill considering that when the laser is cutting material far from the exhaust you need additional pull. I'm sure there's a nice sweet spot but this seems right for cost and ease of integration. I'll get some pictures of my setup but here's the fan...

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch...tor-97762.html

So I just purchased this Axial fan. I guess for the stated specs, it just seems too good to be true! Let's hope it's not. If it is, then I'm only out 20bucks

https://imgur.com/a/qNy7Ynm