586,094 active members*
4,070 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Where to buy t0slot extrusion in UK?
Page 1 of 2 12

Where to buy t0slot extrusion in UK?

hiya guys, I am after a new table-top for my router, and would like to buy some t-slot extrusions to simply bolt on (easy life!). Unfortunately I need to cover a 5'x2' table, so I was wondering if anyone knows the cheapest place to get it from? Any other ideas would be appreciated too!

What size profile did you want? 40mmx40mm? www.Itemamerica.com sells it as well as bosch rexroth. extrusion can run a bit pricey, and is usually sold by the inch ($1.00- $5.00 depending on profile) I do have a contact for it here in Canada and could quote you a price if you like?
    menomana

Thats a generous offer, but I think the shiping would be expensive to the UK. just out of interest then, how much for 8 x 3meter lengths of 40x40?

Kong,

Below is copy of post sent to Glen Fraser, also in the UK, last night. I have seen the Item extrusions and they are first class. Just to give you an idea on price, the 40 x 40 mentioned above works out at about £8/metre. It is a truly extensive range they have and available in the UK. I have the Alumas catalogue and that looks good too.

Glen,

If you're looking for extruded aluminium in the UK, try the Item range from mbsystem in Derby, www.item-international.com or, Alumas in Chorley, Lancashire, www.nisltd.com/alumas

The Item system is a little expensive, German but excellent quality with every imaginable fitting available. The Alumas is similar, a little cheaper and not such an extensive range.

All the best,

Mike

Kong,

Try www.mbsitem.co.uk/ for the Item range in UK. The url I sent earlier just takes you to the German site. Machine Building System Ltd (MBS) are in Ripley not Derby as I said earlier. I also just noted that trubleshtr was also suggesting the Item range in his post.

Mike

I've seen the item products and they are 1st class but at least in my country they sell only 6 metres long bars, about 60€ the bar for 40x40H. But the cost is not really in the bars, is in the junction hardware, they only sell it in boxes of 100 pcs about 60€ the box.

Thanks Mike, I have asked for their catalogues and price lists. Why oh why did I build such a big table!

Cost

MMMMMMM Ive asked for a catalog as well the only thing is the cost of getting some to southend from there. I am only 600mm x 400mm but i have a feeling the cost is quite big.... We will see when we get the prices..
    Glen

Glen, if postage is expensive, they sell the rexroth extrusions on http://rswww.com and will post anything for about £6. There range of the stuf is small though.

Temptation is to get a slab of alloy and mill it myself on a friends milling machine

glen

Mike, I just got their catalogue, and there is plenty to choose from. i like the look of the 80x14 grade 5 extrusion (Page 68, item number 0.0.370.85) for my table top. If you have the catalogue, and 5 minutes, could you let me know your opinion please. i am looking at cost as well as functionality, and even at this size, it will cost me £165 + delivery for my table. It will be the holding power of the slots that worries me a bit, I can deal with the "sag", since the table has angle-ali bars across it every 300mm or so. Thanks, Jason.

they quoted me £35 ish a 3meter length. Cutting it they would charge extra for.

Glen

Dear oh dear, I've done it now, just ordered 1500x670mm of MBSitem "bed plate" aluminium extrusion, plus a couple of other lengths of extrusion + nuts for a total of £380! I must admit that I do hate the thought of spending that much money on a table top, but it looks the business. It should be delivered in a couple of days, so once it is installed, I will get some photos up. It is a heavy duty 20mm thick extrusion, which comes in a standard 152mm width, with additional 55mm wide locking lengths which bolt down over the top of the plate to lock it all together. Piccies soon...

Hi did u get your extrusion yet? be interested in what u think of it.

Glen

Yup, it is on the table, but not bolted down yet, I will get a snap or two tomorrow, since I am having a lazy day today! It is very heavy duty, the weight is around 35Kg for the 1500x670mm table top. All the sections are interlocking, so once it's secured, it should be very sturdy. Is it worth the £300+? Not sure yet, but I am happy.

What extrusion part number did u go for in the end.?

Glen

I got the bed plate profile on page 81, 4.5meters of 0.0.465.79 and 6meters of 0.0.465.80. Delivery was steep at £30!

Kong,

I am building my entire machine from extrusion from Bosch, I use it all day long at work, I think you will be very happy with it's performance, I must say I am very lucky as most of (ok all) of my extrusion has come from "leftovers" at work. If I was to pick on aluminum extrusion I would be a little concerned about "moments of inertia" I have been trying to design my machine for maximum support while cutting. ...Can't wait to see your machine.
    menomana

Here we go guys, a few snaps of the table-top. A couple of general views showing the 1500x670mm span:

And in the next shot, you can see how the system locks together to form a solid sheet:

I have 3 lengths which are 152mm wide, then 4 of the "slimmer" 52mm locking strips in between to hold them down. I still haven't bolted it down, but onces it down and fly-cut, it should be good

Was the extrusion one of the main costs or the nuts and bolts etc.
    Does the single joining bit hold the 152 bits together o.k and did u get them to cut it all or d.i.y

Glen

by the way looks good...

Page 1 of 2 12