586,060 active members*
4,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Learning CNC

Learning CNC

Howdy: Does anyone out there have an idea as to where i could look to learn the basics in CNC programing? I'm a 20 year vet. in the machining trade, but have finally decided to try the CNC thing.

Get a book like Computer Numerical Control Programming by Michael Sava & Joseph Pusztai ISBN 0-13-156084-0 and use a free simulator like MicroTech CNC to run any program you write.
    But this of course is only the start.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

CNC programming

Thanks Al: I've already ordered the book and downloaded the simulater. I took CNC training in my 3rd and 4th year but that was back in the 80's. I'm hoping some of the G - codes and stuff have not changed to much.

Clayman

It might be a bit steep for what you would like to spend but a Haas Control Simulator gives you a complete CNC lathe or Mill minus all the mechanical stuff and costs just under $US1700. It fully simulates all the operations of the Haas machines, you can run programs in Graphics mode and just see a screen trace of the toolpath or you can run them as if there was a machine actually moving things. All the displays are present, you can follow the theoretical position of the machine on the readouts and it evens simulates the spindle load.

You can go to www.milltronics.net and download the simulators for their machines, mill and lathe. The G code is standard, compatable with fanuc. The simulators run in XP just fine, full screen. I also use them with a free program called DOS Box, it will run just about anything in a window. I have a milltronics ML15 lathe and use the simulator to do all the programming. I also have a MB19 mill and the simulator works as well.

enat

Wish I knew about that microtech cnc program earlier.

We used predator in school. Downloaded the demo at home to finish homework and stuff. You can only do 50 lines max on the demo. There seemed to be a way around it by remaking the job each time you wanted to simulate the program. That gets old fast when you have a program with 7 or so tools. Got so mad I deleted it. Then found cimco, which was nice since 30 days free, not crippled at all.

Just checked out microtech cnc and an awesome program for being free.

how can downlode ?

but how can i download this software please tell me

and give me a any other simulator software to learn and practice in my PC thanks

G-Wizard Editor/Simulator is free in beta:

GWizard Editor: A G-Code Editor and Simulator

Check out our G-Code tutorial too:

CNC G-Code Programming Tutorial, Course, Examples, and Programs

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

hi,
    you might check CNC Blog - CNC Programming CNC Machine and CNC Setting Blog there are lot of cnc programming examples for novice to mid level cnc programmers. In addition cnc machine setting and cnc tips and tricks are also given.
    CNC Manual - Read & Download CNC Machine Manuals without Limits on any device
    http://cncmanual.com/