586,082 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Used VF2 possible purchase, just a few ?'s
Page 1 of 2 12

Used VF2 possible purchase, just a few ?'s

Im ready to retire my '95 Acer Knee mill with centroid controls and step up to a real machine to keep up with production. I have my eye on a 2002 VF-2B, this will be the biggest purchase yet for my business so I want to make sure I get a good machine. Im just kinda looking for some advice and what to watch out for. To start, whats the "B" option add? The following are the specs of the machine:

X-Axis: 30.0"
    Y-Axis: 16.0"
    Z-Axis: 20.0"
    Spindle Taper: CAT 40
    Spindle Speed: 10,000 RPM
    Spindle Drive Motor: 20 HP - Vector Drive
    Tools: 20
    Approximate Dimensions: 88" x 58" x 104"
    Machine Weight: 8,000 LBS

Equipped With:
    Haas Control
    Rigid Tap
    Programmable Coolant
    High Speed Machining
    Chip Auger
    8 MB Memory
    2 Speed Geared Head

Are there any options missing that are a must for most situations? I dont plan on doing any 4 axis machining so the prewired option is not neccessary for me. Anything bad about the 2002 year machines? I will be machining about 50% alum, 25% steel, and 25% SS. The machine is located in MN and I am in PA so seeing it in person is not an option. I will however pay to have a HAAS tech do a quick inspection on it. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,
    Jim

I think this would be a great machine all the options are there I don't think you will need anything else. I believe the b option is the 2 Speed Geared Head. Ive heard from Haas service guys anything after 1998 is a decent machine. You might want the ethernet but 8 megs is a pretty good program.
    Joe

I strongly recommend you somehow manage to take a trip to view the machine.

This allows you look at the ALARM record; Haas machines store the last 300 alarm messages and this can sometimes tell you if there have been problems. It is possible to download this record to disc so the person checking the machine could do this for you and email the file. If the record has been erased I would be suspicious.

Another thing is to look at the page that shows tool load limits. This can tell you a bit about whether the machine has been worked hard or has been crashed. This one cannot be downloaded to disc but it is possible to take a picture with a digital so your tech could do this.

I have a few Haas machines spanning the time that machine was made, MiniMills and lathes and the only problems they had were software related. This was when the lcd display first came out and the initial software versions were glitchy. These should have been fixed, if not you can make sure the latest software version that can be put in that machine is installed. If it still has the old display there should be no software problems.

You will be getting it trucked a reasonable distance so make sure the stabilizer bracket between the spindle and table is correctly installed; insist that a photograph be taken and sent to you. This is very important because the linear ways and spindle bearings can get brinnelled if this is not done correctly.

I have several Haas and I am quite happy with them. They are not a brute-force-and-ignorance machine; you have to work within their limitation which is medium weight construction. The Haas control in my opinion is a snap to use. They all have RS232 and the floppy can be retrofitted if you need it. Ethernet will not be an option I think it cannot be retrofitted.

hmmm... I would weigh between buying a new machine and a used one personally. Check out Haas' web site. It's pretty cool. All the pricing is there. You can add the different options and see what it cost. And there is many different machines you can look over. The Super Mini Mill with a 15k Spindle .. VF-2B with HT10K option.
    The warranty .. you get the picture. Check around. Haas also sells rebuilt machines. The website is haascnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    hmmm... I would weigh between buying a new machine and a used one personally. Check out Haas' web site. It's pretty cool. All the pricing is there. You can add the different options and see what it cost. And there is many different machines you can look over. The Super Mini Mill with a 15k Spindle .. VF-2B with HT10K option.
    The warranty .. you get the picture. Check around. Haas also sells rebuilt machines. The website is haascnc.com
    This machine is going for $40K, a new VF2 with options will be upwards of
    $60k which is a little out of my budget. The machine has low run hours and looks to be in great shape, just waiting to hear back from the seller on some of my questions. Then I will probably have a HAAS tech go out and do an inspection report on the machine....and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JMFabrications View Post
    This machine is going for $40K, a new VF2 with options will be upwards of
    $60k which is a little out of my budget. The machine has low run hours and looks to be in great shape, just waiting to hear back from the seller on some of my questions. Then I will probably have a HAAS tech go out and do an inspection report on the machine....and take it from there.
    With the gearbox option it would be closer to 70k than 60k. That price does seem good; for a suspicious cuss like me almost too good. If the report you get looks good you probably have a good deal; getting something new under 40k is difficult.

VF-2B probably stands for brushless (or AC) servo motors, which are better and stronger IMO.
    Price looks good.If you have Haas tech look at the machine , you can save yourself a trip. As long as you are the one paying for his inspection.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by WITOMCIO View Post
    VF-2B probably stands for brushless (or AC) servo motors, which are better and stronger IMO.
    Price looks good.If you have Haas tech look at the machine , you can save yourself a trip. As long as you are the one paying for his inspection.
    Good luck.

Yup, I plan to pay for the inspection so at least I can feel its honest since its coming out of my pocket and not theirs. Here are a few pics of the machine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 430a_1.JPG   43c3_1.JPG   448e_1.JPG  

From your pics it looks clean make sure and ask since it has low hours it is not from being broke down
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

The picture shows it has the old display. That is encouraging because I have had fewer issues with my older display machines; fewer as in 2 or 3 versus 5 or 6 and this is over six machines. I have had very few issues to worry about.

970427-2113 EST USA

If you buy it and have it shipped by truck make sure that the truck or trailer has air suspension. Additional shock isolators suppporting the machine might be useful.

Also, if the thing is shipped with a tarpaulin over the machine, the windows on the doors need additional protection or the flapping tarp will haze the plastic.

Ask me how I know this
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Two brothers trucking is a good company to work with I've found they are inexpensive and secure and tarp well. They have air ride trailers, and they call you 24-48 hrs in advance to let you know they're on the way so you can line up riggers.
    Joe

Thanks for the all the input guys. A little more about the machine, the build date is actually 10/2001 not sure why they advertised it as 02. It has a little over 2800 spindle hours, and 43,193 tool changes. Im waiting on the approval from the bank, then im paying a HAAS tech to go do an onsite inspection....if all goes well it should be mine in a few weeks!

Hey JMFabrications,

Where in PA are you? I know there is a VF2 coming up for sale in the Irwin area. (east of Pittsburgh) I almost bought it, but I decided to go bigger. (VF3-YT) If you are interested in something closer, PM me, and I’ll get you in contact with the local Haas Rep.

And before someone thinks I’m stealing a sale… no, it’s not my machine.

Hey,

Im actually located outside of Philly, unfotunately this machine I was posting about was sold....the bank took forever to get back to me and the owner couldnt wait. I do have a reseller searching for me and he has found 3 VF2's, just waitin on the specs. If you have on specs on the machine you speak of please PM me.

Thanks,
    Jim

B=Gerabox

in 1998 i bought one new Haas Vf3B, this was after much research and on a very limited budget. i beleive i made a good choice, the machine worked well for me and over the span of the next several years i bought 1 new machine every 1-2 years. today i have 6 Haas, 4 VF3's 1 VF4 and one SL20.
    the service is good, the machines have a very user friendly control and i can reccommend them.

i would suggest you talk to the HFO (Haas factory outlet) that serviced this machine. however, do not discard the option of buying new.

Good Luck with your decision
    Peter

It looks nice and clean.
    I noticed the Kirk vise. that's an indcator that the people that have it know what they are doing. Also it has the old style tool changer which IMO is more reliable (but slower) then the new arm style. Does it come with the tooling in the photos? If not plan on spending a couple of grand on tool holders and vises. I have a VF2-SS with 4 Kurk vises on it so I can have 4 jobs setup at one time. We bought it new 2 1/2 years ago and it has payed for it self twice already. I would spend the money to go and look at it yourself. Have the Haas guy there when you do. You can have some beer and brats! Good luck!
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

P.S.
    Check into the state of the Haas service in your area.
    They have sold so many machines so fast that they can't keep up with service in some areas. (VERY BAD DEAL) it really sucks when they tell you they can't get to you for a week!
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Haas VF 2

Hi, I`d just like to say that i`m currently working a VF 2, 2006 model here in the UK. Have only been on it a week, and am finding it easy to pick up, and am very impressed with it, and it`s speed. Not had a chance yet to learn the programing side of it, but i`m assured it`s not too hard.
    So i`m hoping to pick up ideas and tips on this interesting site. Thanks

Roger.

Page 1 of 2 12