Hello,

Last week I started my first job in a machine shop, I am learning to setup and run 2 Sodick AG600L Wire EDM machines.

Most operations go perfectly smooth and no hiccups. But the individual that has been training me, who has been running the machines for 5 years, indicates they have always had this problem.

At the end of a program, the wire is cut. If you leave the machine unattended to long, it will attempt to rewind, uncommanded, back onto the wire spool and we end up with a bunch of loose wire.

This issue happens with .010 and .006 most commonly used wire in the shop, with the .010 being fine for hours at a time but the .060 will sometimes rewind in just moments after the cut.

The solution being used in the shop for the last several years has been to immediately rethread the wire after moving off the part. So the wire stays threaded while changing parts or overnight etc.

The rollers appear fine, there is a .010 groove in the main tension roller, but we are running on ungrooved part of the roller at this moment.

Any tips on what could be causing this?