586,106 active members*
3,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Eding Tool Setter Help

Hello everyone, can anyone please help me? I am wanting to connect a tool height setter to my Eding cnc720 controller. There are four wires on this tool setter that I have purchased, brown, orange blue and green. Which wires go where? I am clueless, also does the software need setting? Can anyone help with this also?

Re: Eding Tool Setter Help

The Best way to use a Toolsetter is Using it as an NC Contact,
    I don't know if you are capable of writing or modifying your macro, but i've discovered that there is no Control on the "SwitchType" (NC or NO) of the Probe.. that is something i would have to write in soon.. as i want to build my own soon as well

Since an NC Contact (Normally Closed) conducts electricity as long as it is not triggered, you can have a "Failsafe" built in, because, if the Setter is faulty, or there is a wire breakage, the setter will not work, i.e. EdingCNC will detect that there is no contact, and therefore it will not probe.
    In order to do this, you need to put #5068 in the routine somewhere, as #5068 detects if the probe is "Seated"or not when using an NC contact type.
    When using only NC Contact type "probes" you can connect a Zero Setter, a TouchProbe and a Toolsetter all at once, wiring them in series..that way, if any of these probes is switched, the current will dissappear, triggering EdingCNC.

Since a Toolsetter is basically a Switch, triggered by the tool,2 wires will suffice, the other 2, are probably for an LED signaling a trigger or operation status.
    That's merely a "Nice to have" as it does nothing for the machine.. the machine is doing it for you.. giving a visible signal..

First thing first, Take a Multimeter andsee which wires conduct, and which don't.
    The wires that switch between conducting and not conducting when the switch is pressed, are the ones you are looking for;
    Do you have an electrical Diagram of that toolsetter?

For setting up and using the toolsetter, refer to the Manual, Chapter 2.13, Page 113 and onwards.

Basically, when you have it mounted to the machine, you have to "Teach" the machine where it is, and how high it is.
    in order to do that.. first Home the machine, that will ensure that the machine moves to the same spot everytime you want to check tool length.
    first, take a Pin that seats in your spindle all the way, so when you take it out, and put it back in, it has the same length sticking out of your collet.
    Measure the "Stickout Length", a tape measure will do, round it off to the nearest number..store that length, measured from the collet nut to the tip of the "tool" in Tool 99.

Then start the "Calibration Routine" , I wrote that back in 2009 and it has been working fine eversince.. It will tell you what to do, Moving to "Safe Z" meaning as high as needed to clear any work on the table, then Move to above center of the toolsetter. Then it will "probe" and because the tool has a "known length" it will store the "Safe Z" as well as the X and Y position of the Toolsetter, and the height of the Toolsetter in Variables #4996-#4999, These remain in Memory, even after switching off the machine..

When starting a Job, the First thing you do is Measure the toollength, , the machine will move Up, to allow you to change it, measure the length, and fill in the Dialog, Hit Ok, and the machine will Meaure your tool..

Then, and Only then.. you can set the Coordinates of your workpiece by Touching off, this means, if you need a second tool, put it in, measure approximate length, start measuring routine, Fill in dialog, hit start, take a sip of Coffee :idea:.
    After this measurement, when you program a move to the workpiece top surface, that is where the tool will stop..

I Used this many times, even writing programs with multiple tools, i just added the measuring routine call after each Toolchange.

I know that it works.. i wrote most of the code for the Calibration and Tool measuring, since i've been working with EdingCNC since 2008.

Having a Toolsetter really is very productive.. I have ran a few Series over the years with multiple tools, Drilling, Milling with 2 or more endmills, all in one program.. Start program, head moves up, install tool, measure, Fill in dialog Click OK, and the machine would measure my tool and carry on milling right away, new tool.. "rinse and repeat"