586,217 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Another Aussie Router build

Hi All,

Well, i started building my router. I plan on having a cutting travel of 1400mm x 650mm x 100mm. The Y gantry and Z axis will be made from Aluminium 3mm sheet folded to add strength and the X axis table will be made from steel.

Here are some pics of progress so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007-04-28 027 sm.JPG   2007-04-28 028 sm.JPG   2007-04-28 029 sm.JPG   2007-04-28 030 sm.JPG  

It may be a bit hard to see from the photos. The gantry is made from 5 parts.
    2 sides, 1 base, 1 front, 1 back (not attached in photo).
    All parts have at least one fold in them to add stiffness and the parts are bolted together (to allow for adjustment). Only a few bolts are used to hold it together as shown.
    When fully bolted together the gantry is VERY stiff. I am very happy with it so far.

Rails are 15 series SKF linear bearings.

Ball Screws are NOOK from HomeShopCNC.

Good start there Matty Zee.

Keep the reports and pics coming as you progress.

Greg

A lot of thought has gone into your design. Nice work and keep them coming.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Matty,

Lookin' good and it should be a useful tool when you finish. Good quality parts too.

Bob

Nice work, keep the pics coming.

Russell.

Heh Heh You've bought all the Aussies out of the woodwork haven't you

progress...slowly...

Hi All,

Thanks for the positive comments. I have been slowly making progress. And its only going to get harder in the next few weeks as my wife and I are expecting our first baby...
    But here a couple of photos showing some progress on the z axis...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007-06-23 012sm.JPG   2007-06-23 010sm.JPG   2007-06-23 011sm.JPG  

Hi Matty
    Neat work. Is that a Milwaulkee die grinder? I'm waiting to see what is in the THK box in the background.
    Hope all goes well with the expectant one.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Rod,
    Yep, certainly is a Milwaukee... the DG30QE if i'm not mistaken...Have you used this one? How have you found it?
    Unfortunately the THK box doesn't have anything more in it that wasn't already shown in the first photos :-( still need to buy my x axis rails...

Hopefully i'll have some pics of my power supply and control box later in the week.
    Cheers
    Matt

Some brighter photos of the gantry

Here are some better photos of the gantry. The first ones were a bit dark.

Also shown are some 7/8" nuts that were bought and machined out to 15/16"-16 to suit the nook ball nuts. The two nuts on the left are as-bought, the one on the right has the thread machined out and the one lying down has been parted of the make a thin nut. I will be using two non-preload nuts per axis with the ability to adjust/remove the backlash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007-06-23 007sm.JPG   2007-06-23 008sm.JPG   2007-06-23 005sm.JPG   2007-06-23 006sm.JPG  

Hi Matty
    The Milwaukee is a good unit. I have one with about 100 hours on it and I am very pleased. A fellow CNC'er in Perth got over 500 hours before having to replace the brushes. I sure you will not be disappointed.
    Look forward to your next installment.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Zee View Post
    Here are some better photos of the gantry. The first ones were a bit dark.
    Hi Matty,

Thanks for the extra pictures

Just wondering whether/how you provide the clearance for the nook screw on the z-axis. I'm about to do something similar and the only way I can think of is a couple of reasonably thick aluminium strips to pack the bearings and give some more clearance for the nook screw.

Bob

Spacers

Hey Bob, sorry to take so long to reply. I thought about that problem for a while. I was originally going to make the z axis chassis have some extra bends to clear the screw but that was too complicated, so i did just a you said, i have put some spacers in between made from 20mm thick aluminium plate stock.

progress halted... Baby Girl!!

Hi all, I haven't made much progress the last week and its likely to be slow going for a while now... why? well our baby came a couple of weeks early. Now i have a beautiful baby daughter to keep me busy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007-07-03 007sm.JPG  

Nice to see a proud father.
    Onya Matty
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Congratulations Matty Zee!!!! Beautiful little bundle you have there.

Life will never be the same. Give our best to her mum. (group)

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Zee View Post
    Hey Bob, sorry to take so long to reply. I thought about that problem for a while. I was originally going to make the z axis chassis have some extra bends to clear the screw but that was too complicated, so i did just a you said, i have put some spacers in between made from 20mm thick aluminium plate stock.
    That sounds like I (or somebody!) will have to do for me as well. Thanks for that

Congrats on your daughter as well, it is a great feeling :rainfro:

Bob

had to revive this thread from page 8

You would be forgiven to assume i had given up on my router build after the arrival of my daughter but i have pushed on and finally finished it on the weekend!!:banana:

I have attached a couple of photos showing the whole machine and electronics enclosure. Inside the electronics box is a power supply, GRex G100 and 3x Gecko G201's.

The other photos show my first cut which is the demo sign in Vectric VCarvePro. I'm pretty happy with but a bit disappointed with the jerky motion (yes, CV is turned on). Don't get me wrong, i am stoked the thing is finally up and running!!

Now to prioritise all the projects i've dreamed up over the last year! :rainfro:
    Thanks to all those who help and encouraged. I look forward to meeting you at the BBQ in a few weeks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished 001sm.JPG   Finished 002sm.JPG   Finished 003sm.JPG   Finished 004sm.JPG  

That is good, takes you a while to get all of jerks out of the thing but it is going now

Good Show

Bob