I have the same problem as PLJack. When my Saturn 2 4x4 arrives, I cannot get it into my shop without removing something. Jack advises against removing the gantry if possible. I get it. I’d rather not remove it.

The Z axis, not the gantry, is the real problem. It simply sits up too high to get through a normal doorway, or go down a hall on its side, as I will have to do. So, why not remove the Z axis and leave the gantry attached?

I’m working from photos, but it appears that to remove the Z axis, one needs to do the following:

1. Remove the tramming plate
2. Remove the plate to which the tramming plate mounts (it looks like it attaches to the bearing blocks.
3. Remove the plate the to which the rails are mounted. It looks this plate is mounted to the X axis bearing blocks.

If I’m correct in my assessment, then the rails remain attached to their respective mounting points, the bearing blocks remain attached to their respective rails, and the ball screw remains undisturbed.

Do I have it right, or am I missing something? Any pitfalls or things to watch out for with this approach? It seems simple enough on its face, but things are not always (usually?) as they seem. What I definitely want to avoid is removing any of the rails. I just don’t want to go there.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gary