586,100 active members*
2,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Drip Feed into a Fanuc 11MA Controller on Bridgeport R2G4 V Mill

Drip Feed into a Fanuc 11MA Controller on Bridgeport R2G4 V Mill

I have come a long way since my first posts however I cannot overcome this one problem.
    I use Master Cam X. Now that I am getting into very large programs I am setting up for Drip Feed. My computer man and I found that we had to set the baud rate to 1200. The program feeds some in and stops, the mill starts and execute those commands BUT the controller will not ask the PC for more code. Any ideas?

The computer guy says I should ask exactly which type of hand shaking should I use? He is tempted to go against the advice of the manuals and wire the RS232 port for hardware handshaking. I can give you all the settings from the Master cam communications screen if this helps.

I am certain that Master cam is sophisticated enough to do this without an add-on program but I am just not sophisticated enough to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will be offered.

BTW, I am cutting the controller off the long arm mount from the machine and mounting the entire box in a standard computer rack. I am just tired of all the crooked neck from trying to look up at it. With bi-locals it only amplifies the problem. I like the idea of having the controller mounted immediately above my PC in the same cabinet.

Update to my problem of drip feeding

My computer man and I were working late again one evening and tried the drip feed. I had forgotten how to start the process so was in EDIT to allow the PUNCH option to come up. I put in the program number hit INSERT took control to TAPE and hit cycle start. The program started and ran continiously. We thought it was working. It stopped once, I hit CYCLE START a few times, then I think I hit RESET and CYCLE START, the machine started again then overtraveled in the Z + direction. It seems, the program kept feeding and disappearing then picked up again. Not knowing where it was supposed to be, it just picked up the next line of code and took off.

Not to worry. I have removed the tool and lowered the table. This was an expiriment in open air.

I'm getting closer but still need advice. Not sure if this post should be in MasterCam or Bridgeport so I will cut and paste it there also. Thanks Lee

Do you have your controller set in tape mode?

i never changed any of my settings on the Cimco DNC that comes with mastercam, and i've never had any problems... My control is a 0M

There is that name again. Cimco. O looked through help and everywhere I thought of but assumed that I do not have it. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction? thanks

Yes I did have it in tape. But I had t start it in edit or else the proper operation softkeys did not appear.

Cimco does not come with Version X or Higher.
    There are to ways for communications in "X" one is thru the editor and the other is the simple communications Icon. How far are you drip feeding from and what are you using for cable?
    Are the cables strapped to any electrical lines in the shop that would make you drop lines of code?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thank you so much for this information. I can stop looking for Cimco. To answer your questions, I am using a good quality solid wire cable. Right now it is about 25feet long. Due to changes in my shop I can get away with about 4 feet. I also plan on putting the controler inside a free standing computer rack with the PC.

I have gotten into the communications applications in two ways. One, the most complicated is opening Machine Manager and then open the Control and look at the Communications tab. This is the area where I notice I can choose MasterCam or External. now, is communications from the editor considered External? And no, we are not getting interference from other induced voltage. It is just coiled at the controller.

Info from another post "Uncle BucK" this thread. made me look at the Om control configuration. All versions of the Om are the same. Hardware Handshaking, Comm 1 Baud Rate 2400 Length 7 bits Even Parity and 2 Stop bits. Currently, I have my machine set for 1 stop bit (selection option in control) this is as per the updates in the manual.

We tried for some time. My computer man was there with his cable selector box and he said that either side does not indicate as ready.

The Fanuc control error ed something like SR680 (I'm in the other shop now so cannot check). If you are from CadCam you may not know these controller specific codes. The only variable we changed from drip feed is memory block 5110 from a 3 to a 4. But that is it. Then my help played with the connectors and POW the machine went down. We blew a 3.2 amp fuse for the CRT. Spent the rest of our time trying to FIND the fuse. Got it thou.

Any info or pointers will be appreciated. I need to get Machine Tech to look at this set of information.

Lee

Drip Feed to a Bridgeport R2G4

I saw your post regarding sending a drip feed to a R2G4. I'm considering purchasing one and would like to know whether you ever had any success.

Best Regards

Richard Rew
    Exhibitology

Drip Feed info.

Hi, and thanks for the question. As of yet, I have not been successful with Drip Feeding into the FANUC 11MA. I follow all of the instructions however, at some point in the program, the control needs more code and does not ask for it. I plan on writing some long winded program in Master Cam, a small part close to machine home, and use that as the experiment. I have learned a great deal about this machine and controller however, am really wasting my time.

Ajax has a retrofit for this machine in the $8,000 range. I would like to talk the department into that so I can get a modern controller.

I have a love-hate relationship with this machine. I know it is the best that the department will ever let me have but it takes so long to get things done on it. I am sure most of it is my lack of experience. But you cannot say it is with out plenty of effort on my part.

I look forward to hearing more.

Lee

R2G4 blues

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I'll forgo buying a machine with 20 year old computing power. I have a fondness for cast iron but . . . We have four cnc routers. All are relatively up to date and very easy to use. I think I'd be setting myself up for a lot of frustration if I bought this machine.

Thanks again and good luck with the power that be.

Rich

BTW, Where is this machine you were considering??/

Rich,

Where did you see it?

Lee