586,096 active members*
3,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

IP phone service

How many of you guys are using services like vonage ? I'm using it and love it, anyone else trying this type of service out?

WallCrawler Guest

Re: IP phone service

Originally posted by CNCadmin
    How many of you guys are using services like vonage ? I'm using it and love it, anyone else trying this type of service out?
    I have had it for about 6 months.

I really love it. Does not kill my bandwith at all.
    And the Mrs. can talk till her ears fall off.
    And it is only 35 bucks a month...

I have saved a lot of money using it.

What kind of "band" do you have? Rock band?

WallCrawler Guest

Re: Re: IP phone service

Originally posted by WallCrawler
    I have had it for about 6 months.

I really love it. Does not kill my bandwith at all.
    And the Mrs. can talk till her ears fall off.
    And it is only 35 bucks a month...

I have saved a lot of money using it.

Am I gonna hafta seperate you two?

I use SBC phone service. Got ALL the bells/whistles for it too, the call waiting, callid, forwarding etc etc etc. I pay less than they're charging for that broad band phone stuff, and I'll be switching to DSL from CoX Cable, (Mistake? maybe, but we'll see)

'Rekd teh Wife gets all the SBC percs for free!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am thinking about IP Phone service guys... inin.com may help you on such Call center software.... hope this help you a little guys...

I have been using Vonage now for about 4 or 5 years. I was one of the first users to try it out here in Western NC.

I never have any problems except on occasion Charter Communications Internet service goes down, but that is not a fault of Vonage.

I Will never go back to BellSouth for phone service, not after using Vonage. I recommend it very, very highly, and for around US 31.00 tax included, it cannot be beat.

Go with Vonage if you get the chance. You will not regret it.

Jerry

Wait until Google Voice gets going.

Gonna change long distance big time (Free)

https://www.google.com/voice/about

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDo6hkgoYXo"]YouTube - Google Voice - Taking calls[/ame]

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Extending VoIP capability

VOIP is one of those things that the carriers have been trying to with-hold for years. There are many VSP's out there now that have great deals.

The best advantage with VOIP is the capability to link it with a system like FreePBX, where you can have "hard" (handsets) or "soft" (software on the PC) connections allowing you flexibility to call at a reduced cost from any device you configure with a SIP client.

I ran FreePBX and set up a DISA service which allowed me to call local with a local call cost from my PC overseas. Works a treat.

You can do other funky stuff like make a call ring all your devices at once (forking) or in a rotary fashion, etc until you answer or your Vmail answers.

The carriers are getting on board with VOIP and taking it to the next level, which is IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem). I believe Verison in the US are getting this implementer at the moment which will give great features to users such as video to handsets, or really anything that they can dream up that consumers would like to have/use.

Sorry for the long winded thread reply, i just love this stuff.

PS the draw back is SIP has problems with NAT and can be a little tricky to setup. Skype is great for getting around this issue, it doesn't use SIP.

/M

Free - Never

Sorry one other thing, the carriers are smarter than allowing long distance calls to be sent over VOIP connections. To get around the "FREE" bit, they will just introduce some delay in the connection (SIP or whatever is used to carry the voice) and this will force users on to a system/plan that the carrier offers.

They will up-sell this service by saying it has QOS (Quality of service) and that it is guaranteed to deliver the voice to the other party.

Now, carrier = DSL/CABLE provider.

Arrow Google Voice - FREE

Google number - One number for all your calls and SMS
    Call screening - Announce and screen callers
    Listen in - Listen before taking a call
    Block calls - Keep unwanted callers at bay
    SMS - Send, receive, and store SMS
    Place calls - Call US numbers for free
    Taking calls - Answer on any of your phones
    Phone routing - Phones ring based on who calls
    Forwarding phones - Add phones and decide which ring

Google voicemail - Voicemail as easy as email, with transcripts
    Voicemail transcripts - Read what your voicemail says
    Listen to voicemail - Check online or from your phone
    Notifications - Receive voicemails via email or SMS
    Personalize greeting - Vary greetings by caller
    Share voicemail - Forward or download voicemails

Voice features - More cool things you can do with Google Voice
    Conference calling - Join people into a single call
    Call record - Record calls and store them online
    Call switch - Switch phones during a call
    Mobile site - View your inbox from your mobile
    GOOG-411 - Check directory assistance
    Manage groups - Set preferences by group
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Why use a VOIP at all,( unless your talking for the biz ).If it's for the home why not freestanding dsl and your cell phones,I'm sure you got a cell phone .For the home I have earthlink freestanding dsl,(no dial tone on the line),and just use the cell.Dsl is $30.00 a month,something like that ?,and my cell is a go phone,( pay as I go),that I put $100.00 a year on,yeah I hate phones .
    Just push the button,what's the worst that could happen.

We had Sunrocket for 2 years before they went out of business. It worked pretty good, and we only paid $6.95 a month, including my wife's cals to her family 3000 miles away in Canada. The quality was a little questionable at times, though. Now we have Comcast's service and the quality is the same as a land line, at about $30 a month. And the coolest thing is that the caller ID is on the TV!!
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Vonage all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long time vonage user and couldn't be happier.
    I think its been 5-6 years, I got on board close to the time they started. Bill went from $130 to $31, not a bad savings. Most of my family, just 3 towns away, were toll calls from me to them, but not from them to me, go figure.

Now that at&t will offer u-verse and dsl witout the "FEE" of a regular landline will most likely get me to move from comcast for video to u-verse for video services. As long as they will allow me to keep my vonage.
    Of course you get 200 channels and nothing that you want to watch is on.

I use t-mobile pay as you go for all 4 cells in the family. About $100/year/phone. My boys always have minutes left at the end of the year, they are not big talkers. My wife will sometimes run short in the last motn or 2 but since when you add $100 the rest of the minutes rollover means that we can put extra on without fear over losing the time.
    I may have to go to a monthly plan depending on what the buisness does, as customers like to be able to reach you when you are chasing parts or making deliveries.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Optimum Online a service of Cablevision

www.optonline.net

Calls Unlimited USA and Canada
    177 Stations unwatched
    Internet with Customized Website Speeds just under a T3 line
    aslo has the Largest WiFi Network in the US
    $149 a month.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Talking Magic Jack, sometimes with less Jack

I am currently out of the country, but no one would know by calling - it goes right thru as if it was a local call.

OTOH - I can't call down the street for a pizza as that would be an international call.

In a pinch I have the dongal info backed up and can make a call with other programs - But I rarely use this option as I lose the MJ call logging and some other features.