586,058 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ever hear of. . .

has anyone ever heard of a cnc manufacturer called Kia?
    if so does anyone have, seen or heard anything about there Mills?

This their N American site http://www.hyundai-kiamachine.com/
    Looks like they use Fanuc controls. Made in Korea, so they could be good.
    Never seen any is this neck of the woods though.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

we actually already have one, unfortunetly.

not a good machine at all, parts always in korea breaks down once a year for at least a month.

The reason why i posted this is because we're trying to see if there's any company around that has a mill besides us in hopes of trading information on break downs to help diagnos future problems. The tech's from the california distributor ( Selway ) have never even seen a kia mill, only kia lathes ( wich i here are actually well built ). But because we cant find anyone familiar with our horizontal mill it makes getting the machine back up and running a extremely difficult task due to it's odd design.

Hydro.

What kind of problems are you having that hangs the Machine up for a month in the year? A good customer of mine has had the KBM 135 Horizontal Borer. First one about 5 years old. They like it so much they just bought another, installed that this past January. I’m not the agent, I just do all their service work once out of warranty.

Never had to resort to buying spare parts from Korea. The odd Prox, limit switch, bearing or seal were all available locally. Local Fanuc support, but I don’t think they have ever had to attend this machine.

The 5 year old machine has had very few problems. Mostly tool change hang ups. The table was just lifted, after the new one was installed. That was noisy bearings on the worm of the table rotation. All in all it wouldn’t have been down a week in 5 years.

Which model do you have? From what I read else where, Selway don’t get good reviews. Could a lot of your problems, be that they are not familiar with the machine?

Regards Phil.

model # KH63G, D.O.B 2001, Fanuc 18M model B control

We've had Techs from Selway ( southern Cali ) out all month. Now we're on Tech 3

Current status as of 5/4/07:
    24V breaker tied to all switches, push buttons, coil solenoids, and coolant pump keeps blowing when machine is first started. problem eventually disapeared on its own(?) then all axis froze up cannot jog or home, pallet and table not clamping and unclamping properly. Busted the X axis cover off and hit the solenoids manually and it worked that way, Machine then jogs and homes properly but table and pallet still not working properly. Machine does not respond to maintenance codes M21,22 ( table clamp/unclamp ) or M23,M24 ( pallet clamp/unclamp ) tested coil and solenoid voltage right where it should be.

We've had many other problems in the past with the auger bending, and the draw bar assembly not working correctly. We've had to expedite collars and collets for the assmbly from the manufacturing plant in korea a few times.