586,069 active members*
3,847 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pipe threads

Page 1 of 3 123

Pipe threads

Not sure where to post this but maybe someone here can help. I am writing a program and the part has 1/4-18-NPT pipe threads. I want to do the threads in the machine. What I need to know is what is the max and min for the hole size. The depth of the hole is .625. I think the bottom (minimum) of the hole is going to be .440 but what is the top of the hole suppose to be? .460?
    .455? I want to use the top of the hole diameter i.e. .46 and taper down to the .440. Anyone know what the top of the hole and the bottom of the hole should measure for 1/4-18 pipe threads?

Thanks!!

Standard hole would be 7/16 straight
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Standard hole would be 7/16 straight
    how would you do the threads in the machine? drill the 7/16. then thread?? I need the taper. There has to be a min for the bottom and a max for the top of the hole for the taper. There has to be a way to do pipe threads in the machine.

Look here for the dimensions of NPT reamers - use them as guidance for your machining.

http://www.sct-usa.com/pt12.asp
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

thanks i'll look into it.

IS this a tapping operation? Just drill a straight hole as amost everyone else does..

I want to thread the part in the machine. I don't want to drill 7/16 then take it out and tap it. I want to use a boring bar to get the taper then thread the taper in the machine with a threader. So when i'm done i'll have 1/4-18 pipe threads done in the machine. NOT tapping.

How do you get a tapered hole with a boring bar? I mean intentionally...

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

You drill the hole undersize you call up your boring bar then:

G00 X.5 Z0.
    G01 X.45 Z-.625 F.002

There, now we have a taper in the hole.

Your missing the whole point of my question. I know how to program but what I dont know is what a 1/4-18 pipe thread would be before threading. What would the taper be. After I drill the hole then bore the taper what should te top of the hole measure and what would the bottom of the hole measure before threading.

Just googled for it. Taper is 3/4" per foot or 3.576 degrees with the larger end of .540 diameter for a 1/4NPT thread.

Why bother with all that nonsense, drill the hole to 7/16 and just run a tap in the hole and get on with the rest of the job. It seems senseless to re-invent the wheel for some operations. You can always jog the machine back and forth to break chips if necessary.

Pete

They've got things called thread mills that are pretty keen in doing what you are attempting, but I agree, just drill the damn hole and tap it with a 1/4 npt tap.

Best bet is to just use a NPT tap. If you want to use the machine to tap it, just mount the tap in a collet and go from there. Fixed tapping is probably best for tapered threading. As a general rule, you only really want your finished thread to allow about 4-5 complete revolutions before the two threads bind, so really it is a case of trial and error until you get it right, with fixed tapping you can re-enter the tap without cross threading, floating tap holders can't really achieve the same.

I see a few advising to just drill and tap but what do they do when the thread is much larger... 1.1/2in to 6in.

Attached is G Code for a helix taper for 1/4" NPT and G Code for 1/4" 18 TPI Internal Tapered Thread.
    You will need to remove portions of the code at the begining and end to suit your tool radius and thread depth.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jbclimbs View Post
    They've got things called thread mills that are pretty keen in doing what you are attempting, but I agree, just drill the damn hole and tap it with a 1/4 npt tap.
    Yep! Just drill the damn hole and tap it! Don't over complicate a simple operation!
    Wayne Hill

Quote Originally Posted by WayneHill View Post
    Yep! Just drill the damn hole and tap it! Don't over complicate a simple operation!
    You guys are thinking as if this is a one or two piece job. This is for production. The faster the part gets made the more money we make. Threading in the machine with a threading tool is way faster and will make more parts.

Do the math

The standard rise in dia per inch is .062

Mulitiply .062 x the lenght.......don't forget your lead in if you are single pointing.

Hi Fukeneh
    I don't no if somebody has said this but you can buy a machine Pipe Reamer that will give you the correct hole size and taper you can also get the taper
    drill as well
    Mactec54

yeah I no but I don't want to tap the pipe thread I want to use a threader so I still need to figure out what the taper is to do the threading.

Hi Fukeneh
    Here is what your hole should be top dia .540 x .5946 depth and the angle
    is 1.790deg The .540 dia is the pipe dia minus the thread depth

All American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread Angles are 1.790deg included Angle is 3.58Deg
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123