586,094 active members*
4,050 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Will X2 support mill /turn multi axis lathes?

Will X2 support mill /turn multi axis lathes?

I've been using esprit 2006 for the past year and would like to transition over to Mastercam X2. I have a Hitachi Seiki CH250 HiCell mill / turn with a 190 degree programmable indexing turret and would like to know if mastercam x2 will support this? I've looked at their website and it looks to me that they will only support c and y axis for the lathe. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am using X2 to program my Okuma Multus. It took me a while to get the post the way i wanted it. But i have programed very complex parts with it and have had no problems.

Bassn_07 talk with your local dealer about are MMT option coming out for multy axis mill turn and swiss style machines.
    PS tell Jerry I sent you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

thanks for the replies.

tzollinger, Does that particular Okuma have the rotating turret head? And if it does how much work was involved on getting the post to output exactly what you wanted?

cadcam, What is the expected time of realease on that new version. I will give them a call tomorrow and try to get more info.

Thanks again.

Bassn 07,

The Multus does have a b axis or (Rotating head 210 degrees) it also has a main and sub spindle. I use T-planes to drive the b axis to the proper slope angle. If you have any other questions feel free to call me at the shop 435-713-0072

I am programing a couple Miyano 5-10 axis mill turn with live tooling, and a Citizen Swiss Screw machine with Mastercam X2. Besides all the work I still have to do to get it to post out the right way. One thing that i really dont like, is that Mastercam doesnt represent all 3 heads or the sub spindle at the same time in backplot. So we are spending way to much time single blocking and dry running new programs through, before running production. To make sure i dont have the sub spindle rapid into a turret! Im assuming Im going to have to turn to some type of simulation software, to prove my programs out off line.. If anyone can give me some insight on anything, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

here is some insite all of what you need is coming it is in Beta testing now. this will give full machine Sim and support what you are fighting with.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

do you have any idea when that will be available? Months, years???

Months sir.
    Cadcam

I would say years before swiss is supported. They completely dropped the ball with regards to MMT like they always have over the years. I am a die hard Mastercam mill guy, but lathe sucks and MMT is a freaking Joke as far as I am concerned. look at Partmaker or Esprit. Esprit is more money than Mastercam, but their simulation is done.

Crazythunder, how much have you really seen of the new stuff?I know it is over due and I agree. but I have seen allot between the dealer conferences and the stuff I have gotten from CNC including a few things at westec that was for dealers.
    Cadcam

What I have seen is nothing for MMT. You know I am a Beta tester and have what all the others have which was nothing for lathe like it has been, and everything for mill.

So has anyone seen a preview of mastercams millturn simulation? Will it compare to Vericut, or Predators stuff. Basically Im torn between looking for a whole new software. Something that will support these type of machines also provide accurate simulation, so i can feel comfortable proving programs out off line. Or looking into just a simulation software and just trying to get our post processor fixed. Because right now we dont even have post setup for each machine!!! We are just using the defult generic post thats already in Mastercam!! I just hired in as a programmer, with alot of experience with mastercam but not millturns. I dont think that Mastercam is the best software for these type of machines.

Trust your gut feeling, because others are doing a better job right now than something CNC is trying to get working and the others have had it working so why do you want to put your job on the line for CNC B.S. that they keep feeding out about MMT capabilities. It is all B.S. until I can program with it and run my machine with it. I program an Integrex E410-HS with Mastercam and do an good job with it. However I never trust the code until proven out on the machine. I have programmed 5 axis machines and never thought twice about running them without proving out the code. Never would I do that on the Integrex from a Mastercam posted program.

Seems like your job is counting on your doing the programming for these machines. So does the company pay a lot of money for posts, maintenance, and then figure out they are still guessing, or do you swtich to Partmaker or Espirt that already have this working very nice. I looked at their programming capabilities and like Mastercam better for that, but if you do not trust the code going to the machine what is it worth??

I would never trust a program that hasnt been proven on these kind of machines either. but thats what the problem is. I dont work for a "machine shop" i work for a company who makes medical equipment. They dont really know alot about the machining industry. They seen it would save them money by making there own parts rather then buy them. So they went out and purchased these high dollar machines. And just picked a software, (mastercam) well they never had posts setup for any of the machines. Yes we pay for the maintinence plan. So the program that Mastercam gives us is very very rough!!!all of the g and m code has to be added manually, from copying the format of a previous program that is similiar. Then hours of single block and dry run, only to alter the program more to get it to do what you want it to!! It can literally take days to get a good part with a new program. Thats all machine down time, its crazy!! a new program should be writen, proved out off line, enough to not crash anyways and ready to be proven out in the machine before its even setup.. Your setup time should include programming the whole part. But the way things are here it does. Very very time consuming. I am used to writing multiple very complex programs daily. Post it out give the operator a setup sheet and never look back! I think having the correct post for each machine will solve alot of the problems..Because now more of the program is being hand writen than anything.

I would go back to my dealer and get a Demo post for your machines from In=House solutions not the one from CNC and not the dealer ones, but insist on the one from In-House in Canada. Show them how much time you save with a good post and that will justify paying the cost for the post.

Good luck and if sticking with Mastercam I recommend you get Vericut. If I had it I would have very little complaints about Mastercam with regards to MMT.

question to bassn 07,

why do feel the need to change from esprit to mcam when esprit is up and running and mcam does not seem to have the capabilities that you already have.
    the reason i m asking is that I use mcam for mill. but have read that esprit is the way to go for multiax turning.

billy

Folks I wish at this time I could share what I have to see what is coming but I can not yet. as soon as CNC software says it's ok I will show a few videos.
    talk again soon all.
    Cadcam

Cimquest

There is a local MC Dealer in the Tri-State area called CIMQUEST in which I subscribe to their biannual or quarterly magazine. This magazine will give you guys the scoop on what MC is working on and the feature rich options they already have.

Put it this way, if everyone knew what they were working on, everyone would have the the option to copy it. MC has spent a lot of money and time working on providing their customers to have an edge over the competition.

In conclusion:
    If you are as serious as I am with CAD/CAM and Machining, make damn sure your sitting down when you see or read what X3 can do.

http://www.cimquest-inc.com/mastercam.html

Subscribe and get a magazine from your local MC Dealer Today!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com