586,065 active members*
4,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Am I insane for being here?

Good morning!

I've been lurking in this forum for a few days because I've been wanting to build a CNC machine for months now, but the winter weather and a baby boy have kept me out of the garage.

I have so much use for a CNC machine as I build models and my wife does a lot of crafts. I have little woodworking experience, extensive software experience, some electronics experience, but absolutely no metalworking or CNC experience. With that said, am I insane for wanting to tackle a project like this? I can't afford to buy a CNC machine, nor can I afford to build one in a short amount of time.

Has anyone with as little experience as me tried to do this and succeeded? I've looked at some of the machines you all have built and they are wonderful pieces of machinery, I sit here amazed at your handiwork.

I'm overwhelmed by the different choices of parts (steppers, servos, slides, lead screws, ways), so that right there is going to be sticky for me, given my lack of experience. I love to build, I love to create, but I don't often get things right on the first try. Should I put the time and money into trying this project?

Thanks for any feedback!

K.C.
    Spokane, WA

Yes, you’re crazy and yes you should build a machine. A cnc machine will give you an opportunity to make some extra cash or just to have fun making things that otherwise you could not do. CNC saves so much time and the things you can make are awesome. You can take your time building one and just accumulate the parts little by little if money is a issue.

K.C.

If you are computer savvy, you should have no problems with the electrical schematics and theory of operations. It just takes time to research, and I'm sure you're familiar with research.

Everyone here is great with advise and ideas to help you get over the humps. If you don't go for it, you will always wish you had...

Have a great day,
    Kenny
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

When I first started everything seemed so daunting as well. What you need to do is first outline exactly what the machine will be cutting. If it is confined to light or medium woods the frame doesn't need to be built like a tank. If you plan on cutting 3/4 hard maple or aluminum, then so serious thought needs to be payed to the structual design.

Don't even think about Servos yet. Your first machine should use a stepper board like the Xylotex and some cheap 110oz motors from ebay. This is fairly simple to wire provided you follow the instruction manual.

Cost is not too bad when you think about it. A light wood cutting router will cost about $700. The time that you will save vs hand cutting is SO worth it. I have about 300 hours logged on a bandsaw, which could have been 30 hours on a cnc router while I watched a movie

Frame: The main frame, gantry sides, and other pieces can be made of MDF. Go down to HomeDepot Or Lowes and buy a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 or 1 inch.

Leadscrews turn the rotary motion of motors into a linear force to drive your cutter. If money is a concern, go with something like Acme rod. It costs about $3 a foot and does actually have decent precision. You can make your own nuts out of Delrin plastic or brass.

Linear rails or shafts. You may have heard terms like Thomson, THK, NSK, ect thrown around. Thk is the very best and has amazing load ratings, but is ultra expensive. I suggest you go with something like Linear round shaft with pillow blocks. The diameter size is up to you. It ranges from 1/2 to 2 inches. Ebay is a great place for these items.

Here is a picture of a 36x24 inch router using all of the parts I just listed.

Feel free to ask questions. There are many people here with amazing insite and knowledge that are happy to help.

One more thing. READ, READ, READ. There is enough information here to build almost anything! I suggest you start with these threads.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=&threadid=646
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/member...nfo&userid=150
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/member...nfo&userid=683
    Proud owner of a Series II Bridgeport.

Take a look at the photo section, there are some very creative tables built with common and inexpensive parts. Drawer glides and scrap plywood! Keep in mind that the quality of the parts you can make will be 'hobby' grade but with a little effort and good scrounging skills you can get you feet wet for very little $s. Once you start using your machine you can use it to build the next one, 'cause you'll be hooked by then
    Bill

Talking WOW

Thanks for the responses! I think I landed in the right place, you all are very encouraging and helpful. I gotta tell you, this is nothing like the software industry, you people are nice.

Cold Fusion, I didn't catch on to all you said, but I am going to keep READING, as much as my eyes will let me. For one, I find the discussions fascinating, on top of being so informative.

Thanks for this so far, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised. I hope to contribute to as much as I take from this forum.

kcoaks - some aspects of the software industry are amazing - look at the opesource movement.

regarding a CNC Mill. its gonna be a hobby all itself. it will take over your hobby-world untill you get it going. my first attempt was pretty unsoiphisticated. i had never made a stepper spin. i always looked at them as those "unuseable" motors.. i just had a bit of electronics hobby stuff under my belt when i started this 2 years ago.. look in my gallery for some inspiration - it only took 2-4 years to get to that point.

i have to admit though, i had lots of building, tinkering, design experience going into this "hobby". i still dont really think of it as a hobby. i am building machines that will oneday pay for themselves. its a secret goal of many of the forum regulars - i think.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

vacpress - while I agree that the open source movement is an amazing testament to the human spirit of bettering itself, it's also a nasty breeding ground for gargantuan egos. That aspect would be my #1 gripe about the industry in general...ego-driven development runs rampant.

I'm looking at your gallery right now...all of this in just a couple years? Cool. I like the CNC pen artist . That product model was made with a CNC machine? In one piece? I can't imagine being able to create a machine that could create something like that, it blows my mind.

that was milled in 3 pieces on a 20k machine. a AXYZZ gantry Mill. it took alot of handwork, but it was very close to my CAD data when finished. i Use a bunch of bondo on that one.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

I am going to repeat what has been said so many times that were this Slashdot I'd be modded down for redundancy...but no one seems to think that it applies to him...(yeah I'm somewhat guilty as charged as well, and I of all people, should have known better )

Build a cheap small POS to begin. Drawer slides, gas pipe, conduit, skate bearings, hardware store threaded rod, plumbing pipe supports...shoot, I've even used ½ " copper plumbing pipe with copper couplers (grind out the stops) as slides/bearings with workable results. Keep it cheap!

The idea is to wrap your head around the process and learn what you need for the final (final? Okay, next) project. Do not spend any more money than you have to because the first project will be rife with mistakes, and also it is intimidating to work with expensive components when you do not know what you are doing. It is supposed to keep you up at night with enthusiasm not worry.
    There are some beautiful machines shared here; trouble is people are intimidated about showing their very home-made first tries so we do not see as many of those in the gallery....

Better a crooked furrow than unplowed field!